WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Suggestion NEW CHAT FOR ALL WTFers!!

ib4

Error
Staff
I would like to recommend SLACK as a new WTF chat platform. We can start now but it would be good for the new WTF version coming soon.

I like to refer to it as the new IRC. They made it very much like IRC but with some better abilites, like the ability to giphy mid chat, upload files etc. But it is super light weight just like IRC!

Even better, everyone can use it. It is so so easy. You literally join the domain/team name for the site and create an account and presto! It isn't like IRC in the sense that your work place may block it for security reasons. It has a downloadable client as well as a web client.

Its extremely popular. I know many people who use it in their work environments. We use it for work here AND I have a private one for many of my friends to be apart of. Also its super easy to have multiple channel steams at the same time.

I want to stress the possibility of switching to this as much as possible please @Jason, @BRiT. It will definitely provide the ability for MORE people to be involved in our chat community for WTF!? Its totally free. It only costs many if you want other features that aren't really needed at all.

oh and its super secure. They have good authentication methods. Also, for Admin-people themselves or the admins can delete messages sent to the general chats if it violates any rules. Since people can delete there own also, then they can be held ever morose accountable for the things they say in regards to rules.

It is invite based. So if you'd like to try it out either out your email here in the thread or pm it to me. Please please please consider it. I'd be happy to host a demo. If youd like to try it out, go to:

Special: There is a mobile app available too that stays connected! IRC mobile apps only allow you to stay connect for a few minutes if youre not in the app.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/slack/jeogkiiogjbmhklcnbgkdcjoioegiknm?hl=en-US

and add the webclient to your chrome browser. Join wtfcom.slack.com when it ask for what team, create and account and I will be sitting there!

For more info:
www.slack.com
upload_2016-6-24_12-34-27.png

Last edited:
  • 1Helpful
Reactions: Jason

Sark

Hail Eris! Fnord
Or we could use Discord, which i already have. Discord is the best chat program ever made.

Danni

Derp in the North
Premium
Discord still has its issues. It has potential, but still has a way to go.

I do like Slack, GroupMe and Telegram. I use them for college classes all the time.

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
I'm not convinced I want to personally invite people via e-mail to join the chat, e-mails aren't always updated and I did want to remain somewhat open. Show me something that is a breeze to set up (we'll need to set it up, no pre-setup offers please).

We also want to increase the traffic with weekly scheduled chats too which we haven't yet begun. I want to do that.

Out2Lunch

☠️
I would like to recommend SLACK as a new WTF chat platform. We can start now but it would be good for the new WTF version coming soon.

I like to refer to it as the new IRC. They made it very much like IRC but with some better abilites, like the ability to giphy mid chat, upload files etc. But it is super light weight just like IRC!

Even better, everyone can use it. It is so so easy. You literally join the domain/team name for the site and create an account and presto! It isn't like IRC in the sense that your work place may block it for security reasons. It has a downloadable client as well as a web client.

Its extremely popular. I know many people who use it in their work environments. We use it for work here AND I have a private one for many of my friends to be apart of. Also its super easy to have multiple channel steams at the same time.

I want to stress the possibility of switching to this as much as possible please @Jason, @BRiT. It will definitely provide the ability for MORE people to be involved in our chat community for WTF!? Its totally free. It only costs many if you want other features that aren't really needed at all.

oh and its super secure. They have good authentication methods. Also, for Admin-people themselves or the admins can delete messages sent to the general chats if it violates any rules. Since people can delete there own also, then they can be held ever morose accountable for the things they say in regards to rules.

It is invite based. So if you'd like to try it out either out your email here in the thread or pm it to me. Please please please consider it. I'd be happy to host a demo. If youd like to try it out, go to:

Special: There is a mobile app available too that stays connected! IRC mobile apps only allow you to stay connect for a few minutes if youre not in the app.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/slack/jeogkiiogjbmhklcnbgkdcjoioegiknm?hl=en-US

and add the webclient to your chrome browser. Join wtfcom.slack.com when it ask for what team, create and account and I will be sitting there!

For more info:
www.slack.com
View attachment 9311
I'm not convinced I want to personally invite people via e-mail to join the chat, e-mails aren't always updated and I did want to remain somewhat open. Show me something that is a breeze to set up (we'll need to set it up, no pre-setup offers please).

We also want to increase the traffic with weekly scheduled chats too which we haven't yet begun. I want to do that.

• 2LOL
Reactions: Jason and BudVugger

ib4

Error
Staff

Then delegate someone to do it! Hell I'll take responsibility on that. At least then you could have a pre-req like anything else on forums to only draw in committed users. Maybe IRC can be for walk in traffic, Slack can be for committed members who met constant user pre-reqs?

Slack IS a breeze to setup. 1. We have a channel setup already that i can hand right off to WTF admin. 2. They receive an email with a link that basically walks them right into it. BOOM! Right now they view images in a forum (if they make it that far) to do their own setup. This is a link with a couple written steps with it in an email right to them.

There is zero cost for Slack.

Also slack has many features that can make meetups tons of fun. The Giphy, taco bot that Danni added alone added spunk to the chat room!

The mobile app makes this all very easy too allowing users to make it to scheduled chats no matter where they are without connection interference on the app. Also notifications go off on the phone nicely from the app.

I promise the use of Slack, can entice people to join scheduled chats. Jason please join us and give it a try your self! What email can i invite you with?

So far participating is:

@Crazizniac
@BudVugger
@DejectedReject
@Shanananaaa
@Danni
@Out2Lunch

and 1 other that i can remember by the SN they are using.

• 2Helpful
Reactions: Out2Lunch and Jason

ib4

Error
Staff
Just learned about Discord. Which is basically this same chat for gamers but all inegrated with VoiP
https://discordapp.com/features

Maybe this could consolidate WTF!? multi-platform gaming for chat purposes? Anyway, if you want to at least try out Slack, private message me you email for an invite. There is a few of us WTFers mingling in there. Its nice because the phone app allows you to chat whenever you want without reconnect like IRC.

• 1Like
Reactions: MaxPower