WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

New Computer Time...

So my uncle is offering to get me a new comp... how could i say no... i'm poor.

Anywho... I was looking at the iBooks and they look nice. The Dell's, i have heard too many horror stories to begin. HP is what i have now and that works very fine.

Just asking your opinion... What do you think i should go with? I'm not to good on decisions like this... Help me out?

anything macintosh :thumbsup:

no viruses
no spyware
better OS
more reliable
enough said.

Jung

???
Premium
Voted iBook. I don't know how computer savvy you are, but it would be the best choice for someone not savvy enough/not willing to keep up with anti-virus and anti-spyware stuff on a PC.

Edit: Don't buy a Dell. If you want a nice PC laptop, stick with an IBM Thinkpad or Toshiba Satellite.
teh anarchist said:
better OS
more reliable
Relative to what though? Linux has had been that for years before OSX was even thought of; In fact, OSX is built on the same basis that Linux is. Also, I've crashed OSX a few times. :p

My XP install is just as stable and secure as OSX has been for me, but I know how to keep my PC clean. I think a lot of people either don't know how, or just don't care. OSX is nice, but it's no magically perfect OS.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
If he can swing it, have a look at the PowerBooks. If not, the iBook is awefully nice.

speaking from first-hand knowledge.. get a fucking iBook. Windows is shit.

it came in today, and this is the best computer i've ever used. super fast, yet i only paid $1,100 for it, and bought the Apple Care for that false sense of security.

junglizm said:
Relative to what though? Linux has had been that for years before OSX was even thought of; In fact, OSX is built on the same basis that Linux is. Also, I've crashed OSX a few times. :p

My XP install is just as stable and secure as OSX has been for me, but I know how to keep my PC clean. I think a lot of people either don't know how, or just don't care. OSX is nice, but it's no magically perfect OS.
Relative to windows .. I know Linux is the shit lol, and I just like the ease of use in OSX over what I have seen in my *limited* use of linux.

Intresting...

Thanks for the feedback guys... I think that i will have a look at the ibooks and powerbooks...

Jung

???
Premium
One thing to remember: OSX performs better with more RAM than processor speed, so whatever you get try to upgrade the RAM to 1GB. Personally, I'd go for the more durable iBook and just get a larger hard drive and more RAM. You will get more for your money and a better overall experience.

The PowerBooks are more geared towards professionals, are more expensive and aren't as durable. The iBooks will be powerful enough as well.

sinces theres so many people saying get a mac..
http://www.mac-sucks.com/facts_speed.php
Speed

Even since the ancient Roman empire fell the Mac-proclaimers have been stating that they have the upper hand on PC-users when it comes to speed and performance. Many times Apple have released suspicious and very irrelevant benchmarks performed by their own technicians. Basically what these tests have been proving is that a Mac is fast when it comes to dealing with Photoshop filters.

As you might have guessed, this is not the case, it's a lie. Contrary to Apple we have real benchmarks, not performed by rabid pc-people, but by objective and reliable sources.

The great render race (Adobe)
"The contest compared renderings of files created in Adobe® After Effects®, Illustrator®, and Photoshop® software that are typical to the video post-production workflow. The PC consistently outperformed the Macintosh machine, at an impressive rate. "

Mac vs. PC III: Mac Slaughtered Again
"So we got our hands on one of those new 3.06GHz Dell boxes and the fastest Mac on the market, fired up our trusty After Effects 5.5 and Photoshop 7.0 benchmarks on both of them, and man oh man, you won’t believe what happened this time. It was just downright startling. "

Pentium 4 vs Athlon vs G4 Power Macintosh (Bare feats, May 10, 2002)
Editor's note: Bare Feats is a site that tests macintosh performance. In this case they have made comparative tests with Ahtlon and Pentium 4 based systems. The AMD Athlon which obviously would have crushed it's opponents in the game tests have conveniently been paired up with a remarkably slower graphics card which places it just behind the Apple G4. If you can critically judge the test you will find that the G4 gets bitchslapped once again though.

Benchmarks demolish Apple speed boasts (The Register, November 03, 2002)
"The G4 scored between 147 and 187 on the floating point tests, while the Pentium III scored 297. Today's Pentium 4's double that figure, and as a result, today's PCs are four times as fast as Apple's professional line in some situations. "

Comparison of Mathematica 4.0 on Various Computers (Karl Unterkofler, October 20, 2002)
Editor's note: These tests consists of different mathematical calculations to test the speed of the computer. The reference machine used was a mac with a 300MHz G3 processor. The winner amongst the PCs performed 8,7 times faster than the reference machine whilst the dual G4, 1.25GHz (mac) reached a dissapointing 4,5.

SW's Mac vs. PC Performance Pages
"Mac vs. PC performance is an issue that many people like to argue about. It is also an issue that is dominated by hype and undocumented performance claims. This site attempts to take publicly-available and documented benchmark data and present it in terms of easy-to-understand graphics."

Disadvantaged-c

omfgwtfbbqsteakmix
Dont get a mac, get a pc if your not to fond of working with things, if you are then get linux, itl be cheaper for you as in you wont have to pay for the OS license. I like windows in its own ways and i like linux in its own ways, choose one or choose both :D. www.tigerdirect.ca or www.newegg.com are good sites to purchase pc's without the os's

Jung

???
Premium
Recommending Linux to a normal computer user is ridiculous... This isn't Slashdot.

Also, I wouldn't put much faith into what mac-sucks.com has to say unless you've actually used a Mac. All the bandwaggoning bullshit is pretty ignorant, especially when most people who slam Macs have never even used one. Macs aren't some magical super computer or the answer to all desktop computing, like some zealots would have you believe, but they're definitely not slow when compared to PCs. At least not in my experience, and my Mac is just a 1.5GHz laptop...

I read the macsucks website, and so far haven't been able to find any of it true - iBook or Power Mac (G4)

The Power Mac has never crashed in the past 2 years we've had it. I'm still trying to find ways to crash the iBook.