WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines New crop of P2P lawsuits from Hollywood.

jamesp

In Memory...
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5843082.html

Hollywood studios filed a new round of lawsuits against file swappers on Thursday, for the first time using peer-to-peer companies' own data to track down individuals accused of trading movies online.

The Motion Picture Association of America said it filed 286 lawsuits against people around the United States based on information acquired from file-trading sites shut down earlier in the year. Most of those sites were hubs connecting people using the BitTorrent technology, a peer-to-peer application designed for speeding downloads of large files.

The group previously said in February that a Texas court had ordered that the server logs of one big site, called LokiTorrent, be turned over to Hollywood investigators. An MPAA spokeswoman said that none of Thursday's suits were related to that action, however.

Hollywood lawyers are hoping that the fear of exposure will dissuade more people from trying to download movies for free online.

"Internet movie thieves be warned: You have no friends in the online community when you are engaging in copyright theft," MPAA Senior Vice President John Malcom said in a statement.

Studios launched an aggressive new campaign against individual file swappers and peer-to-peer services last December, in particular targeting the BitTorrent hubs that served as jumping-off points for downloading a wide array of software and movies.

Many of the most popular sites, including SuprNova, LokiTorrent and others, have since shut down, either voluntarily or on the heels of lawsuits.

Although it is widely used for piracy, BitTorrent is increasingly being tapped for wholly legitimate applications such as distributing open-source software. Web browser company Opera Software has even built the technology into the latest version of its Net-surfing software.

BitTorrent creator Bram Cohen has warned in the past that using his technology to distribute material illegally is a "dumb idea," because the file-swapping tool is not designed to hide the identity of anyone using it.

As with previous lawsuits filed by the MPAA and the Recording Industry Association of America, this round of cases is aimed at anonymous "John Does" identified only by their Internet addresses. The defendants' true identities will be sought through a later court process.

This is rediculous. It has already been proven that downloads, such as the ones in question, actually improve sales. But those fucking cunts in Hollywood, are holding their collective breaths, maintaining, despite evidence against them, that they are losing millions. Fuck em, they can't stop me.

Modern Technologies next Open Source project: Secure/Anonymous BitTorrenting

^ We need help with the Open Source portion, anyone wanna help?

Jung

???
Premium
Modern Technologies next Open Source project: Secure/Anonymous BitTorrenting
Pointless, because USENET is a hundred times better than any p2p implementation will ever be.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
This thread looks familure.
hehe
I don't think hollywood can survive 10 days w/o some kind of lawsute. And i agree with the fact that p2p does promote product better that advertising. I think this is just a threat to scare p2p users buy making them feel like there being watched when there online.

Jung

???
Premium
I think this is just a threat to scare p2p users buy making them feel like there being watched when there online.
P2P users are being watched online. That's why using p2p is a stupid idea.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Like I said when in my previous thread that was closed for no reason (Jung, you power-hungry mod!!!!!) :p; Who's to say that these "logs" aren't just a randomly generated list of IPs? :lol:

jamesp

In Memory...
Dont call BitTorrent P2P! BitTorrent is nothing in league with Kazaa or BearShare. But, in my professional opinion BitTorrent is a brilliant concept, I mean what other service gets faster with more users? The algorithm is brilliant, but it can be made better (i.e. better safety). How long would it take you to download a 4 gig dvd from UseNet? Longer than it would take me with Azureus.

jamesp

In Memory...
Fire_ze_Missles said:
Like I said when in my previous thread that was closed for no reason (Jung, you power-hungry mod!!!!!) :p; Who's to say that these "logs" aren't just a randomly generated list of IPs? :lol:
Because that would be useless to the tracker.

jamesp

In Memory...
Personally, I think its a collaberation between the tracker host and the RIAA.

Jung

???
Premium
jamesp said:
Dont call BitTorrent P2P!
But BT is peer to peer, because it doesn't rely on a client/server architecture. (aside from the tracker)
"A type of network in which each workstation has equivalent capabilities and responsibilities. This differs from client/server architectures, in which some computers are dedicated to serving the others."
But, in my professional opinion BitTorrent is a brilliant concept,
It was a good concept when it came out, but I dislike torrents more and more everyday. They're an inferior way to transfer files. Plain and simple. P2P is generally a shitty method for file sharing. It's only benefit is the bandwidth is spread across the user base, but aside from that I can't think on a single good thing to say about it.
I mean what other service gets faster with more users?
I answered that in my first post. :p

Jung

???
Premium
jamesp said:
No, BitTorrent is Seed to Leach networking. ;)
Any how do you think the leechers are sharing?

Well, I guess you could say it's hybrid. Because it starts off as server/client with the seeder, but once another full copy is on the network it becomes peer to peer.
How long would it take you to download a 4 gig dvd from UseNet? Longer than it would take me with Azureus.
Haha, what? :lol: Not when I consistently get 600-650KB downstream off binary groups... and don't have to spend two days seeding it back up. Oh, at at hardly any upstream cost too. :thumbsup:

jamesp

In Memory...
junglizm said:
Any how do you think the leechers are sharing?

Well, I guess you could say it's hybrid. Because it starts off as server/client with the seeder, but once another full copy is on the network it becomes peer to peer.

Haha, what? :lol: Not when I consistently get 600-650KB downstream off binary groups... and don't have to spend two days seeding it back up.

Have you ever even used Usenet?
The upload isnt that bad, but Ill admit that I don't usually get that much download, maybe 400KBs. Wait! Are you saying Kilobytes or -bits? (bytes for me) And yes I have used Usenet, but I still prefer BitTorrent. I guess its just a matter of preference.

Fuck yeah, I've used UseNet, with NewsLeecher. Ill admit that I do like it, but I hate all those .par files, and all the files period. Just give me one file to downlaod.

Jung

???
Premium
The upload isnt that bad, but Ill admit that I don't usually get that much download, maybe 400KBs.
Call me greedy, but I'd rather not have to deal with seeding and sharing unless I have to. Not to mention that BT is inherently insecure and Usenet is anonymous.
jamesp said:
Wait! Are you saying Kilobytes or -bits? (bytes for me) And yes I have used Usenet, but I still prefer BitTorrent.
No, I mean KiloBytes.
Ill admit that I do like it, but I hate all those .par files, and all the files period. Just give me one file to downlaod.
Par checks and unrarring can easily be scripted. And there are tons of 'scanners' for the non-coders.

P.S. Pop in IRC.

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
Using a BitTorrent client is the easiest way to get caught, from what I can see.

Sure, there are ways to help in protecting yourselves, but it is is the most insecure way of dowloading your "entertainment" ;)

Torrent sites are a huge target right now.

And yes, I agree, it is no different than P2P. I mean, it is P2P. :happysad:

Descent

Hella Constipated
This is one of the main problem with American businesses. It's all extremely short sighted compared to Japanese tactics.

I mean, I studied Japanese businesses just for myself, and I'm starting a fucking software company. It goes the same way for everything.

I don't feel like going in depth - but compare the quality of a Honda to a car built by GM or Ford and you'll see my point.

And also, ever since the whole RIAA/P2P issue I just don't really listen to much music anymore. I use StationRipper to get my tracks, and it's the best thing to happen to me. Free, legal, and on top of that, I discovered amazing bands like Amorphis and Violent Work of Art, these little independent bands that kick the shit out of corporate crap bands like Slipknot.

Best of all, my buddies are amazed at how "in the know" I am when it comes to heavy metal, even after I tell them my "secret weapon" they still come to me for new experiences and say that I have excellent taste in music.

Metal is some of the most artsy, dynamic music around. It's not all about people screaming. Violent Work of Art and Amorphis create beautiful music that would literally change people's beliefs about heavy metal in a heartbeat.

Oh - and I forgot - another reason I don't use P2P much anymore is that independent guys have their work downloadable for free anyway, and even then, the RIAA produced stuff sucks pretty hard.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Wait, I thought it was illegal for isp's to give out information on who ip's belong to?

Jung

???
Premium
Fire_ze_Missles said:
Because a list of IPs doesn't mean shit. They would have to provide a list of source IPs (ie on a specific ISP) and a list of outbound connections it was making, along with dates, times and information about the materical being downloaded. (The ISP is going to check it's DHCP logs and see which customer was granted that lease for that time, so obviously a list of random IPs won't do any good.) That's extremely easy to do when you're talking about BitTorrent, because anyone connecting to the tracker can see the IPs of all peers. The way the tracker operates is BitTorrent's major flaw; too much client information is accessible just by connecting, and 'authentication' is a joke.
RageAgainst said:
Wait, I thought it was illegal for isp's to give out information on who ip's belong to?
It's illegal for them to give it out without a court order. If a company can prove an IP on their network was downloading something illegally, they can subpoena the records and have them turned over. That's part of the DMCA. Some ISPs have fought this and lost. :thumbsdn:
Using a BitTorrent client is the easiest way to get caught, from what I can see.
Yep, torrent sites are being watched now more than Kazaa type networks. Torrents are a bad idea unless you can find a real private tracker, and by private I don't mean something you find via Google and sign up for.

jamesp

In Memory...
Yeah, Im not too worried about getting caught using bittorrent, seeing as how I use completely private forums. But sadly my favorite went down indefinitely the other day. Oh, I see that you just said something along these lines....

Par checks and unrarring can easily be scripted. And there are tons of 'scanners' for the non-coders.
I know this, and I know the benefits, you can rebuild a file even with missing par files and whatnot, its just that I hate par files. And QuickPar, but thats another story.

Hey, me and my uncle are working on a private project (not open source) for people that have a whole lot of media that they need to organize and burn to discs. Ill tell you about it if you want....