WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines new dem voters?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
so they are relocating the survivors of katrina, and i heard an analyst on npr say that they wil probably stay wherever they are moved to, and most are going to texas.. a republican state..
that's a lot of new voters, voters who now loathe bush even more, voters who might feel motivated to vote for the first time in their life, against a republican governor, president..
i think it's a given that the dems will get the next presidency especially in light of katrina, but if there is any doubt i think the dems in texas should be recruiting these survivors as soon as decently possible.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Interesting view. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
I'm not convinced that the Democrats even have a fair shot at elections yet. Recent history has shown that for a democrat to be elected you have to be a better candidate and have better PR than the opposition. (Carter, Clinton) The vast left wing conspiricy has nothing against the vast right wing conspiracy.
Katrina's impact has yet to be significantly felt on the national scale, so I may be overestimating Republican's ability to muzzle dissatisfied voices and point neon signs at contented people. As Max said, we'll have to wait and see.

Janglenut

Particinator
I sure do hate how people go into democrat/republican; the best person shoudl just win.

Period.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
ReiMeishin said:
Recent history has shown that for a democrat to be elected you have to be a better candidate and have better PR than the opposition. (Carter, Clinton)
...And from what I've heard, there's a good chance it may be Hillary Clinton vs John McCain. Enough said.

ericman123

CEO of the internet
Nailbomb said:
...And from what I've heard, there's a good chance it may be Hillary Clinton vs John McCain. Enough said.
First time I'd vote Republican.

I'm going to stick to my guns.... I'm not voting. The presidental election shouldn't be a lesser of two evils race (or 3 or 4 or however many). I will drag my ass to the polls when I see a canidate that I go "Fuck yah! I want him/her in office". Like if Larry Flint and Jenna Jamison were to run togther.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Sticking to your guns and not voting?? Then you're unarmed! Lesser of 2 of evils is still better than the greater of 2 evils, and it's worth the trip to the poll.

Why should I vote for a canidate I DON"T want in office. The lesser of 2 evils to me is still evil. If I don't like anyone that is running then I am not going to contribute to them getting elected. As for being unarmed by casting a blank vote (none of the above) the vote is still recorded it just shows that I didnt vote for anyone.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
If 2 shitty candidates are running, not casting a vote for either will not prevent one of them from getting into office. One will still win. The best analogy I can think of is, voting for a punch in the face or voting to get gang raped. While noone in their right mind would ask for either, one of the two things will happen. As it turns out here, if enough people don't vote for either, we get gang raped.

You are right I am not stopping anyone from getting into office. I am however not supporting a canidate that I do not agree with thier Platform, political ideology, personal history etc... bid for the public office they are seeking. If all of the canidates in my opinion are not someone I wish to see I office I will not put them there just to stop someone else I do not wish to see win the office. The analogy of taking a punch to the face or being gang raped is flawed. I elected official has more influence than that of my well being. His/her actions can and do affect counties, states or the country as a whole. So if it is a decision of who is going to screw my country up less instead of who is going to better my country I will abstain from the vote. I will not aid or support any one i feel is not the right person for the job even if it prevents someone more screwed up from winning. It is still a lose lose situation.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Janglenut said:
I sure do hate how people go into democrat/republican; the best person shoudl just win.

Period.
Lots of things SHOULD happen. If we could can shoulds we'd be in utopia by now.

Hmm.. Bush won Texas by over 2 million votes in 2000, by more than that in 2004, so it would take a fuckload of dissatisfied refugees to win Texas. But I think that the effcts are being felt nationwide, hell, continent-wide. Gas prices in Canada are roughly $1.25 a litre, Canadian. I have no clue what that is in American but before Iraq it was about half that. Before Katrina it was about 85-95, so it's a huge fucking increase. I'm 17, so it's great that my mom has a job that pays for gas! We aren't feeling it at all! It's great!

enjoy it while it lasts kid.... the real world is creeping up soon enough.

cryptrocket said:
enjoy it while it lasts kid.... the real world is creeping up soon enough.
Yeah, I know, but the world is one fucked up place right now, so I'm enjoying it to the point of excess...

And it has big nasty, sharp, pointy teeth. Get all of the school you can now. Don't be like me and do it the hard way....

Voting is the illusion of choice. I refuse to vote because I don't want to propagate the idea that it will make any difference. Anyone who says voting matters needs to remember the 2000 election.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
sideshow_bob said:
Voting is the illusion of choice. I refuse to vote because I don't want to propagate the idea that it will make any difference. Anyone who says voting matters needs to remember the 2000 election.
i've never voted either..
"it doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in."

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
MaxPower said:
Interesting view. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
for you maybe, im just gonna sit back and watch footy