WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

New Feature Request: Betting

If Jason implemented a betting system, would you use it?

• Yes, I'd be interested in a betting system

Votes: 24 92.3%
  • No, no interest

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Void and I were (mostly jokingly) messing around with the idea of a betting system in this thread:http://forums.wtf.com/showthread.php?t=40991

void said:
bet what? rep points?

that could be a lot of fun..

or avatars..?

or names..? :eek:
I got to thinking about it, and it really could be a lot of fun and could also be tied into the rpg for those users.

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement this, but if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle, it would certainly kill some free time.:thumbsup:

littleone

the short crazy one
Sounds like an idea. And god knows you guys have time to kill. Might as well spend it on this betting game/war of yours. Do it!

Outlawed

Postaholic
Good idea. There should be signatures too. Like if someone loses a bet they have to wear the avatar or sig or username for a certain amount of time. Usually it will be something embarassing.

it's a very simple job to hack vBookie itself to integrate it with any store/points system you care to use.
It could definitely be tied into the rep system according to the site.

Now, we just need a mod to approve, hack, and implement the idea.

Then we can start coming up with ideas for things to bet on as well as appoint a "bookie"

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
If enough of you want it, it's easy enough to implement for the most part.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Jason said:
If enough of you want it, it's easy enough to implement for the most part.
:thumbsup:

who wants to be bookie..?

i vote someone sane.. anyone sane..

that doesn't exclude all mods..

Base

it's a motherfucker
AY!!! I'd be up for that! :thumbsup: bookie no, betting yes

What about teh anarchist as bookie

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Base said:
What about teh anarchist as bookie
he is here a lot..

of course the person here the most.. and probably the sanest person here.. is junglizm.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I think I would make a good bookie. I'm active enough.

Anyways, I like the idea. Shits and giggles!

I'd be game to be bookie ... and let's get a poll going ... sent jason a PM to add a pole to this thread

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
Anarchist already knows I'm for this shit. Betting would be way fun!

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
couldn't the bookie be a program? then it would be guaranteed online 24hrs a day..

Slacker

Postaholic
void said:
couldn't the bookie be a program? then it would be guaranteed online 24hrs a day..
Yeah that would be a good Idea. But if it is not possible to do that, then we could have a group of people do it, so if one bookie is not here then they could go to a different bookie.

Just my two cents. :twocents:

lady victoria

Too old for this shit!
Premium
Sounds like an interesting idea...could be fun.;)

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i bet it doesn't happen.. ;)

i'm putting down three of my avatars, what are the odds? :happysad:

Slacker

Postaholic
If you were to bet an avatar that means if you lose, you would lose your avatar and you wouldn't be able to use the same one again. But I don't think the person who wins would use that avatar but, it's the fact that they made someone else lose their avatar.

Rep/Point System
If the person who bets their rep and loses gives the other person they bet the points. Vise versa.

Signature system
Same as the avatar system.

You would bet on events and games and stuff. We would need someone/some people who would orginize events daily or even have everybody make events. And we would need someone/some people who would keep track who wins or loses. Such as bookies and stuff. Also more things to bet with.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Linksy said:
If you were to bet an avatar that means if you lose, you would lose your avatar and you wouldn't be able to use the same one again. But I don't think the person who wins would use that avatar but, it's the fact that they made someone else lose their avatar.

Rep/Point System
If the person who bets their rep and loses gives the other person they bet the points. Vise versa.

Signature system
Same as the avatar system.

You would bet on events and games and stuff. We would need someone/some people who would orginize events daily or even have everybody make events. And we would need someone/some people who would keep track who wins or loses. Such as bookies and stuff. Also more things to bet with.
i think the best one is rep..
not rep power points as displayed above this post but the rep points earned in user CP, betting could be in increments of 10 with 100 lost or gained resulting in an increase of 1 in rep power.

Slacker

Postaholic
void said:
i think the best one is rep..
not rep power points as displayed above this post but the rep points earned in user CP, betting could be in increments of 10 with 100 lost or gained resulting in an increase of 1 in rep power.
So for every 1 you bet you lose or win 10. That sound logical. And if you you can bet avatars, you could also get points just for winning.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Linksy said:
So for every 1 you bet you lose or win 10. That sound logical. And if you you can bet avatars, you could also get points just for winning.
i was thinking 10 points minimum bet, raised in increments of 10 to a maximum of as much rep as you have..
i.e. if two people are betting and one has 345 rep points, person two has 275 rep points then betting would max out at 270..

maybe that is too complicated though..