WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

New hobby/work area

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
4,790
86
0
#1
I'm sorry I'm anti-social, but people make me sick......wait, that's another thread.....

I am one of those that moves from one hobby to another, but I stay active in all of my hobbies in one way or another. Anyway, my new hobby is fixing PS2's. I thought I'd share a pic of my work area. I don't know why. I guess I'm just fucking bored. I can't share my other hobbies with you because this forums rules won't allow me to.




Believe it or not, 5 of these in the pic work flawless. They were all purchased as "broken" ;)

2 of them are sold, 1 is my sons B-day present (15th), 1 is mine (flip-top), 1 is a back-up, 3 need new lasers. My sons flip-top will be here Monday. just in time for his B-day :)
 

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
4,790
86
0
#3
Unforgiven said:
nice... once you get them fixed up, send one this way :)
That's funny you said that, because when the family found out I was doing this they said the same thing. :)
 

Cash21

Clitpickle
80
0
0
#4
That's pretty cool. Just curious, did you buy all of those from a salvage lot or are you repairing them for people? You could make a pretty penny buying them salvaged and selling them on ebay listed as refurbished.

Where'd you learn to fix em up?
 
11,074
726
382
#5
CopyLifted said:
That's funny you said that, because when the family found out I was doing this they said the same thing. :)
hmm... great minds think alike... and so do weak ones :)
 

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
4,790
86
0
#6
Unforgiven said:
hmm... great minds think alike... and so do weak ones :)
You've got a great mind...family is weak.... :D
 

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
4,790
86
0
#7
Cash21 said:
That's pretty cool. Just curious, did you buy all of those from a salvage lot or are you repairing them for people? You could make a pretty penny buying them salvaged and selling them on ebay listed as refurbished.

Where'd you learn to fix em up?
I bought these off ebay as broken PS2's. I will be placing a wanted add in our local free paper next week. I did buy one of them from a guy I work with and burnt the laser out in a week lol. I modded that one though :p .

I do sell them on ebay after I fix them. You're right, It's a huge profit.

How I learned to fix them: My first PS2 took a shit on me, so I tore it apart. I didn't know what I was doing and I ended up making it worse in the end. I found out later that I was on the right track. I just didn't know what I was doing. That made me decide to do some research. One word: Google ;)

A lot of reading and just plain old common sense is a must as well. :D
 

Cash21

Clitpickle
80
0
0
#8
I had a feeling you googled it for info. I might decide to give you some competition on ebay sooner or later if I I take some time to learn how to tear this babies apart :p

Any hobby that makes you money is a damn good hobby IMO, don't you think?
 

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
4,790
86
0
#9
Cash21 said:
I had a feeling you googled it for info. I might decide to give you some competition on ebay sooner or later if I I take some time to learn how to tear this babies apart :p

Any hobby that makes you money is a damn good hobby IMO, don't you think?
Without a doubt.

It is easy. You just have to be careful what you buy. Especially on ebay. So far I have had good luck.

There is plenty of room on ebay for more "fixed" "refurbished" PS2's. :p
I say go for it. :thumbsup:
 

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
3,886
0
0
#10
CopyLifted said:
I'm sorry I'm anti-social, but people make me sick......wait, that's another thread.....

I am one of those that moves from one hobby to another, but I stay active in all of my hobbies in one way or another. Anyway, my new hobby is fixing PS2's. I thought I'd share a pic of my work area. I don't know why. I guess I'm just fucking bored. I can't share my other hobbies with you because this forums rules won't allow me to.




Believe it or not, 5 of these in the pic work flawless. They were all purchased as "broken" ;)

2 of them are sold, 1 is my sons B-day present (15th), 1 is mine (flip-top), 1 is a back-up, 3 need new lasers. My sons flip-top will be here Monday. just in time for his B-day :)
I am not saying you don't know this, but I thought I needed new lasers a couple of times, and it was the Mirror. You know when you (Depending on the laser that you have) take the black plastic cover off it, and you can see all of the laser. take a small screw driver and lift up on one side the mag. in the coils will hold the eye up for you to clean the mirror. (don't sracth the damn thing) I have seen ONE peice of lint cause the laser to look dead.
The Xbox you have to get at by take the whole rom out and removing the bottom.

ANyway..
 

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
4,261
4
0
#11
I enjoy the fact there is a coors can and 2 packs of Marb reds on your desk too. You just went up a few notchs on my "respect belt".
 

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
4,790
86
0
#12
Broken said:
I am not saying you don't know this, but I thought I needed new lasers a couple of times, and it was the Mirror. You know when you (Depending on the laser that you have) take the black plastic cover off it, and you can see all of the laser. take a small screw driver and lift up on one side the mag. in the coils will hold the eye up for you to clean the mirror. (don't sracth the damn thing) I have seen ONE peice of lint cause the laser to look dead.
The Xbox you have to get at by take the whole rom out and removing the bottom.

ANyway..
Thanks for the tip broken, but I have tried that too. The problem is that they will read the blue back discs just fine (cd) but they won't read the silver (DVD) games. 2 of them I got to work for a bit, but then they just died. I have done every possible adjustment I can do, and they just don't work. So I'm assuming that they just gave up.

BTW, anybody have an oscilloscope they want to sell? cheap ;)
 

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
4,790
86
0
#13
tbsrk said:
I enjoy the fact there is a coors can and 2 packs of Marb reds on your desk too. You just went up a few notchs on my "respect belt".
It was a Saturday night, my only drinking night. I was stressed trying to get the 3 that need new lasers to work, so I smoked alot that night. ;)
 

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
724
0
16
#14
CopyLifted said:
It was a Saturday night, my only drinking night. I was stressed trying to get the 3 that need new lasers to work, so I smoked alot that night. ;)
cough cough!
 

tzedek

Original Member
2,515
5
38
#15
nice flip top. what is usually wrong with those anyway? and how easy is it to fix? i have lots of spare time and iw ould like to do something liek that
 

FUCKORBEFUCKED

Pissed off since birth
315
0
0
#16
CopyLifted said:
BTW, anybody have an oscilloscope they want to sell? cheap ;)
I'm sure you can find a 100Mhz Tektronix O-scope on ebay cheap.
 

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
4,790
86
0
#17
tzedek said:
nice flip top. what is usually wrong with those anyway? and how easy is it to fix? i have lots of spare time and iw ould like to do something liek that
The fip top is pretty cool. One problem with it though: Use bad media = burn out laser. I found out the hard way. ;)

Sony sets the lasers from the factory for a longer life. The problem with that is they set them to low, causing the dreaded "Disc Read Error". Usually all that's needed is a good calibration of the laser. It could be as simple as adjusting the distance from the laser to the disc, or resetting the voltage on the laser itself. Nothing seriously difficult. Or the laser is just flat wore out. Sometimes you can get lucky and just clean the laser with rubbing alcohol and they work great. CD lens cleaners don't work so great in PS2's.

Other problems are no power, no audio/video, disc tray stuck and such. Disc tray issues are pretty simple. No power could be a bad ribbon cable, blown fuse, or fried mainboard. I have not dealt with a PS2 with no audio or video, but usually, no video, from what I have seen, is from a bad mod chip install.

There are other problems, like the fan not working, unit shutting down, tray not ejecting etc.

Sometimes it's an easy fix, and other times you just bought a parts system. If you can get them cheap with the warranty sticker still intact and not broken, those are the best. That way yopu know you're not buying something that has been fucked with. Who knows what the other party has done to it already.

So there ya go everybody, start fixing those PS2's. Or you could do the nice thing and send them to me. :p

FUCKORBEFUCKED said:
I'm sure you can find a 100Mhz Tektronix O-scope on ebay cheap.
O-scopes are totally new to me. But when I set my mind to learning something, damnit I'll do it. I have checked ebay for them before and they are quit spendy. I know I need atleast a 20Mhz. I will check out the one you mentioned. Thanks.