WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

New MoBo, Case, Video Card, Processor

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
OK. So, I've decided that for Christmas, and also because I'm going to be getting a crapload of overtime at the end of the month, that I'd like to upgrade. Meaning as the title suggests: a new MoBo, Case, Video Card, and Processor.

Now as far as everything goes, I'm open to suggestions.

But I've decided upon my case, and for the MoBo/Proc I'd like AMD, with PCI-E. Now, it's a toss up on the Brand of MoBo. I've used MSI boards in the past, and while I've not had bad luck with them, I am beginning to wonder if there are better options out there, so input would be greatly appreciated. I've googled and researched and scoped out different forums, but it seems to be about like car shopping with everyone having thier own personal opinions. So, keeping that in mind, why not ask people I'm familiar with instead of listening to 'strangers' as it were.

I'd also like an upper-middle grade videocard. No SLI or Crossfire. DVI or not, really doesn't matter, as long as I get an adapter to run my current monitor, and depending on how much everything costs, I may upgrade that too, but that's iffy at the time being.

I'm just looking for opinons, and not wanting to start some 5 page thread about how someone's an ATi hater or whatever. All comments are welcome however.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811163032

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Man you're just asking for it aren't you?

Ok, as far as the processor goes a 939 pin AMD chip is your best bet. If you can spring for it an X2 processor is the way to go but they're still $400-$500 for the low end the last time I checked. You can get an AMD64 chip for $100-$300. Both are 939 pin and should fit in MOST 939 pin motherboards. Some boards may not support the X2's but so far they all seem too.

With that sorted get a GOOD cooler. I would recommend this guy with some Arctic 5 thermal paste. I have one in my rig on an AMD64 3400+ At 100% CPU load it runs cooler than the same chip does at idle with the OEM heatsink. I'm pushing about 32-33 degrees C after 1 hour at 100% load.

I'm a fan of the Asus A8N line up. I've got this board at home and have had NO problems. I wouldn't bother with an SLI board unless you're going to run an SLI setup, and honestly that's just not worth it. I have an MSI K8N Neo Platinum at work. It's not a board I'm fond of. It has issues with USB devices at post. Nothing major but it is a bit of a pain to work with.

As far as the video cards go... well, what games are you looking at playing? Is there one in particular that you're after? That could be the deciding factor in which chip you're after. For example if it was BF2 you wanna play that was optimized for Nvidia and does look really good on their cards. It looks very nice on my X800Pro but it seems that it's nicer on a comparable Nvidia card.

ATI and Nvidia both has good stuff out there. Buying from a reputeable brand in either chipset will probably do just fine. I'd suggest at least a 6800GT from Nvidia and an X800XL from ATI (or their newer X1800 lineup).

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Thanks Uber, I've already got an SP-90 to cool my overpriced socket 754 toaster. I was leaning toward an X2 also. Newegg has one under $400, which I thought was reasonable.

I was leaning toward an ASUS MoBo when I started, so thanks for that too. I don't plan on starting out with SLI. I also, don't see myself ever doing it in the near future.

As far as Video cards, depending on whichever list is shorter, what are or aren't the most reputable brands on the market? I'm looking to wind up with a system that will at the very least, handle BF2 decently, if not quite well.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
BrIONwoshMunky said:
Thanks Uber, I've already got an SP-90 to cool my overpriced socket 754 toaster. I was leaning toward an X2 also. Newegg has one under $400, which I thought was reasonable.

I was leaning toward an ASUS MoBo when I started, so thanks for that too. I don't plan on starting out with SLI. I also, don't see myself ever doing it in the near future.

As far as Video cards, depending on whichever list is shorter, what are or aren't the most reputable brands on the market? I'm looking to wind up with a system that will at the very least, handle BF2 decently, if not quite well.
I'd read reviews on the cards at hand.

I like XFX, Evga, Sapphire, Asus, MSI and a few others. ATI sells their own cards as well so you can actually get an ATI branded ATI Xwhateverthehell you want. XFX and Evga are both offering lifetime warranties on at least SOME of their cards.

BF2 would look great with an nVidia 6800GT or better. It looks excellent on my Sapphire X800 Pro so either way you really can't go wrong.

Do you have any video cards in mind?

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Thanks for the links Jung... I knew you wouldn't have much input on my choice of Cases. :D My reasoning there, is I actually saw this model in a local computer store first hand. It's actually built really well, has the seperated cooling compartments, and inverts the MoBo. All for about half of a Lian Li case that does the same.

No video cards in mind at all. I'm completely open. I'm just getting my bearings. Speaking of, would anyone be interested in a slightly used, but in great condition, ATi 9800 Pro 256bit 256mb Ram?

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
All good choices... I'll add the following in to the mix:

DFI nForce4 .

I have the SLI-DR model, and it's pretty damn nice. If you don't need or want all the extra goodies, you can pickup one of their Infinity boards for cheap. It has nearly all the same bios and overclocking features but without the extra addons.

Although in a week or two DFI and other companies will be releasing newer nForce-4 chipset based boards as well as newer ATI chipset based boards. So my suggestions will likely change.

When you pickup memory, go for 2 1Gig sticks. The Crucial Ballistix PC4000 are nice and available for around $310 from NewEgg.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
BRiT said:
DFI nForce4 .

I have the SLI-DR model, and it's pretty damn nice. If you don't need or want all the extra goodies, you can pickup one of their Infinity boards for cheap. It has nearly all the same bios and overclocking features but without the extra addons.

When you pickup memory, go for 2 1Gig sticks. The Crucial Ballistix PC4000 are nice and available for around $310 from NewEgg.
A coworker has a DFI board. He loves it. Says it's rock solid.

And go for the Crucial memory. It's made right here in Idaho and it's not going to get any cheaper anytime soon.

Jung

???
Premium
BRiT said:
Those are great for overclocking, but I'd save the money and go with pc3200 if you don't plan on overclocking a lot.

OCZ Performance or CORSAIR XMS

Personally, I'd go with the Corsair; they're using the best (Samsung) ICs on the market right now, and are very overclockable.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
I think I'm going to go with Corsair RAM. I've already got a 2x512 set of XMS, with a latency of 2-2-2-5. Which still retails for about $200, and considering I'm probably not going to overclock since I'm a giant wuss about it, I'd just like to keep the same brand of RAM in it.

I've decided on the AMD Athlon 64 X2, the GTX video card, a DFI Board, and the Corsair XPS RAM.

Thanks you guys for your input, and unless you guys see something that clashes, I'll probably order it this weekend.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Just make sure you buy a GOOD Power Supply for all those goodies. When I upgraded I failed to notice that my PC Power and Cooling PSU was a 20 pin job and the new 939 pin boards are 24 pin PSU connections. I had to buy a new power supply.

Speaking of which, anyone interested in a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 410 PSU with less than 100 hours on it? I'll sell it cheap.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Just an update if anyone was interested in the Power Supply thing. The Turbo-cool 510 series, all have the same guts, and PC Power and Cooling will rewire from the Deluxe, (with the 20 pin MoBo connector) to the SLI version (with the 24 pin MoBo adapter) for $70. That's probably what I'm going to do.

PC Power And Cooling E-mail said:
All of the 510 series have the same electrics. The differences are in the
wire harness configurations. To upgrade your Deluxe to a 510-SLI will cost
$70.00 and require 3-4 business days here to complete. Call our RMA group
toll free at 800-722-6555 for an RMA number to send you unit in for the
upgrade.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Yeah... about all this... I've decided to put it on hold due to the Jung just feeling the need to post 35% off coupons for LCD's, and thus, forcing me to buy one now, instead of after I get my upgrades completed. Not that any of you really care, I just wanted to blame it on Jung. :mfinger: :lol: