WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

New Mobo/Proc Help

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
I say, HELL YEAH!!!! Go for it. That's what I have now, and it is super stable and fast. I have had this computer for 4-5 months now and I run it 24/7, with a reboot about every week. Not one hiccup...yet. (knock on wood)

I have a 9600 pro with that combo, and the games are unreal. But then again my last rig had onboard graphics, so I guess any upgrade would have been unreal lol.

But I'm sure you will get a more "expert" opinion soon. But I think it's a good combo for the money.

Descent

Hella Constipated
That looks like a VERY good config. Via's new KT880 and K8T800 chipsets are great, unlike their old shit which was crashy, buggy, and shitty. It was teh suxx!

However, there is still not too much reason to go 64-bit. Do it if you must, but an AXP would still be great.

Mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-024&depa=1

CPU:

http://www.bzboyz.com/store/product1705.html

I wouldn't worry about Chaintech, I read a review of one of their older motherboards on Tom's Hardware, and they really seemed to like them. Just about all the motherboard manufacturers seem to be on par in terms of stability and quality these days, and the only grey areas are overclocking and features. Asus, Abit, MSI, some Epox boards, and Gigabyte will be great for OCing (Especially Abit), but I feel that many other manufacturers are lacking in that area. Chaintech also made some really sweet TI4600's back in the day (They had some of the best cooling around, gold plated heatsinks on the RAM and GPU), so I would trust them in my endeavors.

Also, I'm warning you, the Aria is built like shit. It's still a better option than a Shuttle, FIC, etc., but personally I'm waiting to see if Aspire will come out with a similar case...I'm a big Aspire fan.

I'm most likely going to pick up one of these boards; my old ASRock K7S8XE+ seems to be going on it's way out (Not to mention that it is a pain in the ass, I'm no longer a fan of SiS chipsets.)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-045&depa=1

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
If you're upgrading today and money isn't an extreme concern, there's no reason not to go 64bit. I'm an advocate of buying one or two notches below cutting-edge since it gives the best price-performance-lifetime ratios. However, if you can swing it, I'd go with a Socket-939 configuration instead of the older socket-754. The 939 socket motherboard will provide more room for future upgrades of the cpu. It's a shame that AMD PCI-Express motherboards still seem to be a month or two away. The video card industry is moving rapidly towards PCI-Express, to the point of not releasing the AGP counterparts until 4-6 months later if ever.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
I figured I would go A64, just to get ahead of the times; plus I can utilize the 64-bit platform with Gentoo.

Unfortunately, newegg (my only online computer retailer) does not sell any Socket 939 platforms using a micro-ATX foundation.

Would you think it be worthwhile to wait until PCI-express comes to more AMD boards, in the hopes they are integrated onto mATX boards; or stick with this AGP board. I am not big into hardware, as far as video cards and the like are concerned. If I were to go with this board, any suggestions for a mid-range, well equipped videocard. Currently, I am running the mighty GeForce 4 mx440, and I like it so much, that I think maybe I'd like another nVidia card, unless convinced otherwise.

Mucho Grassy-ass, all! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
A good midrange card to geht would be the Radeon 9700 Pro. It's the best sub-$200 card on the market. It runs everything amazing at 1024x768, has great image quality, and stellar drivers. I would know, I own one.

http://www.imagestore.us/product.asp?pf_id=HY-RA9700-128P

Don't get a 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, they are only about 5-6 fps better, and really are a true ripoff.

If you do want 30% more performance, you could always get an nVidia 6600GT. Persoanlly, I don't feel that nVidia's drivers are as good, but that's just me.

http://www.techonweb.com/shop/products/productdetails.aspx?id=905902&src=FG

tzedek

Original Member
thats funny, i know a guy who just spent $399 on a 6600gt. :lol:

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
why would you suggest a nForce2 when the nForce4 is coming out in the next couple of months if i had to suggest anything i would say hold off on buying till after christmas when hardware becomes dirt cheap eaither that or go with a duel zeon 3.0 ghz with a mobo that has two x16 pci express and use duel nVidia 6800 card then that will be the shit.

Jung

???
Premium
Hypertron said:
or go with a duel zeon 3.0 ghz with a mobo that has two x16 pci express and use duel nVidia 6800 card then that will be the shit.
The price of dual xeons would be much more than he's likely willing to spend. I also think you'd have a hard time fitting that mobo/CPU combo into a mATX case. He did say he was pretty set in which case he's chosen. ;)

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
actually the mobo would be the same size as every other mobo but mini atx mobos...its a standardized thing.

...oops yeah brain fart...xeon should be spelled like that not zeon...my bad.

Jung

???
Premium
Hypertron said:
actually the mobo would be the same size as every other mobo but mini atx mobos...its a standardized thing.
Huh? I meant that a mobo for a dual xeon won't be mATX sized, at least I've never seen one. Since they're targeted at the server market, it'd be kind of silly to make mATX versions. I could be wrong though.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
junglizm said:
Huh? I meant that a mobo for a dual xeon won't be mATX sized, at least I've never seen one. Since they're targeted at the server market, it'd be kind of silly to make mATX versions. I could be wrong though.
no your right a dual xeon won't fit in a matx but they would fit in a normal case...thats what i was saying i don't know why anyone would want a matx they are bitches to work with

Jung

???
Premium
Hypertron said:
no your right a dual xeon won't fit in a matx but they would fit in a normal case...thats what i was saying i don't know why anyone would want a matx they are bitches to work with
Ok, I guess I just missed where you were coming from. I have a mATX for my MythTV and it's brilliant, but I've never seen any other use for one. So, I definately agree with you on that.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
I've never seen any other use for one
Just ask the retards over at Compaq/HP/Emachines/Medion. They really seem to love mATX! One of the many reasons I build my own...

HOWEVER, Compaq's old Presario 5700T ATX case is GOD. It's so good, I'm putting my main box in it.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
junglizm said:
Ok, I guess I just missed where you were coming from. I have a mATX for my MythTV and it's brilliant, but I've never seen any other use for one. So, I definately agree with you on that.

Just using it's smaller form factor so that I can tote it around easier, and so it won't take up a lot of space in my room.

Descent

Hella Constipated

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart

Descent

Hella Constipated
Missles said:
You don't want a SiS-sy chipset.
Everybody insults them, but I LOVE my 748 chipset in my old ASRock motherboard. Sure, it's not the quickest out there, but it has lots of features and is very stable. It's a great chipset, I love it!