WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

new motorcycle

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
8,339
43
142
#1
I'm thinking of getting a motorcycle for my next vehicle (nice gas mileage and all that). The last one I had was a honda nighthawk 650. I like cruising bikes, not the ones that make you lean forward and squish your nuts on the gas tanks, but let you lean back and enjoy the ride.

I was considering another nighthawk, or possibly one of the harly fatboys (cause i am one).

Any suggestions? Preferences?
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
1
0
#2
my preferences..

Honda XR600R








BMW F650S

i like bikes that offer a good riding position and thus visibility.. i like getting bikes dirty.
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#3
If you want a Harley Fatboy why not go for the cheaper Honda VTX 1300R?



They're cheaper, water cooled so you don't have to worry about the rear jug over heating, roughyl 35-45 mpg in the city and they're slick bikes. Or you could get the 1800cc version and still spend less money but have one of the fastest cruisers on the streets.

I have the 1300C and love it. I'll post pics of my actuall scoot later.

Don't get me wrong, the Harley's are nice. I just think they're overpriced and still have some reliability issues.
 

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
8,339
43
142
#4
Wow, that is a purty bike. And i like the water cooled system. Didn't look like it added a lot of bulk but they definitely work better than air cooled.

I've always thought harleys were overpriced, and knew too many people who had to work on them constantly to keep them running, but the fatboy sure looked cool. So did the honda valkyrie.

thanks for the input.
 

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
3,452
7
0
#5
Oh the fatboy makes me want to have a cigarette.

That's such a hot bike.

I would say, stick with the Hondas. They're cheaper. Try the shadow. Those are fun bikes. Though you seem to like a more sleeky looking cruiser.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
1
0
#6
i'm also a big fan of rat bikes.. all matt black paint and homemade parts.. remember, chrome won't get you home..




http://www.ratbike.org/
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#7
Tostig said:
Wow, that is a purty bike. And i like the water cooled system. Didn't look like it added a lot of bulk but they definitely work better than air cooled.

I've always thought harleys were overpriced, and knew too many people who had to work on them constantly to keep them running, but the fatboy sure looked cool. So did the honda valkyrie.

thanks for the input.
No problem, if you want I can give you all sorts of information on the VTX's... there are 3 1300 models, the R, the C and the S. The R above is identical to the S except the S has spoked wheels. the C has shorter fenders, different wheels, pegs etc... different riding styles... the engines, frames and power trains are the same, the rest is different
 

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
8,339
43
142
#8
the VTX reminds me of the old indians, i like the long fenders. I was looking up places here that sell them. one place had the 1300 models for 9,399 and the 1800 model for 12,599. If they're cheaper than here, i'm willing to travel out of state to get one hehe.

Bklyn- wait til you ride one ;) i test drove one a couple years ago and almost popped right there heheh.

Void- that looks like my first bike lol. I had a honda 250 on/off road type bike. I salvaged it from a junkyard, banged all the body pieces back into relative shape and put it back together with duct tape. I loved that bike!
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#9
Where is here Tostig. I got my 05 1300 2 months ago for $8,400 out the door

You can find them in Nashville and there about for $7,400 out the door. If you're serious I'll give you some links to check out.
 

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
3,452
7
0
#10
What's a good bike to start out with?

Cruiser. That'll last me.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
1
0
#11
first bike?

kawasaki KT250, modded by Gollner.. it was a trial bike, ultra low gearing and about 14" of clearance.. i could ride it over anything.. i rode down a river on it for about 2 miles once.. i very stupidly sold it..
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#12
void said:
first bike?

kawasaki KT250, modded by Gollner.. it was a trial bike, ultra low gearing and about 14" of clearance.. i could ride it over anything.. i rode down a river on it for about 2 miles once.. i very stupidly sold it..
She said "CRUISER".

Good first bike depends on a few things. Mostly how big you are.

But from Honda the Spirit or the Aero 750 is a good first bike. They're not real powerful and 80-85 is about all you can expect stock. With around $1,000 in pipes, air kits and carb work you can push them up to the 100 mph range.

The Yamaha RoadStar 650 is also a good first bike. Again, not a real freeway rider but killer around town.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
1
0
#13
UberSkippy said:
She said "CRUISER".
correct..
and i was answering tostig who was talking about his off road first bike..
i should've quoted.

EDIT: me and bklyn posted at the same time..
 

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
3,452
7
0
#14
UberSkippy said:
She said "CRUISER".

Good first bike depends on a few things. Mostly how big you are.

But from Honda the Spirit or the Aero 750 is a good first bike. They're not real powerful and 80-85 is about all you can expect stock. With around $1,000 in pipes, air kits and carb work you can push them up to the 100 mph range.

The Yamaha RoadStar 650 is also a good first bike. Again, not a real freeway rider but killer around town.
But I can take those on road trips with little problems right?
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#15
void said:
correct..
and i was answering tostig who was talking about his off road first bike..
i should've quoted.

EDIT: me and bklyn posted at the same time..
Uh huh... sure... I believe you! Back to the farm with this one!!! ;)

BCB said:
But I can take those on road trips with little problems right?
That depends. I'm 6'1" 22o pounds and at 75 my old 750 felt like it was running flat out. The Aero is a new version of that motor so it may have more power. I do know that smaller folks felt like the bike wasn't working AS hard. But at 75 you're not going to have a ton more power on them. They'll do but I wouldn't want to go cross country. Now 55 miles at hour was fine.

If you're thinking mostly long trips I'd recommend buying a little Honda Rebel 250 and learning to ride that around town. Once you've got that down, moving up to an 1,100 or 1,300 won't kill you. Then again a LOT of folks start out with the 1100 or 1300's anyway.
 

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
3,452
7
0
#16
Welll, I just asked my sister about the 1,000 cc and she cracked the whip.

She said that 1,000cc is like riding on a rocket launcher. Of course she rides crotch rockets anyway.

She said I shouldn't get anything more than a 600cc.

Care to shed some light?
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
1
0
#17
BklynCannonball said:
Welll, I just asked my sister about the 1,000 cc and she cracked the whip.

She said that 1,000cc is like riding on a rocket launcher. Of course she rides crotch rockets anyway.

She said I shouldn't get anything more than a 600cc.

Care to shed some light?
in the uk they used to have a ruling that until you got your full bike license you could only have a 250cc.. which would be plenty for NY's stop start traffic.. for road trips, get a big chair and a big motor.. uber's the man on that one..
 

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
3,452
7
0
#18
It's a little too easy to get a motorcycle license in NY. All you have to do is get your permit, then, if you have a driver's license already you take a 2 day 8 hour per day course and if you pass that course, you get your license. If you don't have a driver's license, you take a road test.

Apparently this course teaches you everything you need to know. I'm a little worried though 'cause I don't know clutch.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
1
0
#19
the way you should look at clutch is the same way i look at everything..

if all those other idiots can do it then i will find it easy..

seriously, clutch use is the norm in europe and more than half europeans are 75% dungbeetle DNA..
 

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
3,452
7
0
#20
Yeah I know, it takes practice.

This is the bike I was thinking