WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Newdow Goes after 'In God We Trust'

ThomConspicuous

Inconspicuously Informal
I thought I'd throw this news event out here and see what everyone thought on it.

"An atheist who has spent years trying to ban recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools is now challenging the national motto printed on U.S. currency."

Here's my take:

First I'll state the obvious irony on this subject. This guy is trying to raise money for his cause. He also funded his first cause in court, removing God from the Pledge, with US currency. I'm pretty sure he is using money to support himself (food, shelter, etc) or he would have done us all a favor awhile ago and be dead.

On his BIO page he claims "One day I was just looking at the coins (that) is what brought this up. I saw 'In God We Trust' on my coins. I said, 'I don't trust in God,' what is this?", but during his court debut for removing the pledge from schools in '04, 'Justice Sandra Day O'Connor said there "so many references to God" in public affairs, noting "In God We Trust" was on U-S currency and coins.'
Curious how he all of a sudden realized this when it's been around longer than he's been alive, and even had it blatantly stated to him in the most important event of his sorry life.

This bit of news just got me going and I thought I'd post about it (drunk I might add). The fact remains that the idea to print this on currency was adopted a long time ago by a majority (survival of the fittest motha-fucka)...

I'm still laughing my ass off that this guy thinks he can control something as widespread as coins and paper money, trying to raise the very thing he is rejecting to support his cause.

I personally could give a rat's ass whether a phrase including God is anywhere. It doesn't affect me in any way.

For added fun:
This take on Newdow is beyond hilarious.

The main article is: http://www.sacunion.com/pages/sacramento/articles/6834/

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
ThomConspicuous said:
This bit of news just got me going and I thought I'd post about it (drunk I might add). The fact remains that the idea to print this on currency was adopted a long time ago by a majority
Wrong.

It was adopted during the era of McCarthyism (sp?) when arguing about God or America made you a pinko commie subject to long prison terms for doing nothing but expressing your 1st ammendment rights.

So fuck it, In God We Trust has no place on US currency and never did.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
While slogans like liberty and justice for all are nearly universely agreed upon as core American ideals, in God we trust is not. In truth I really give a rat's ass about god references in these symbolic slogans, however in light of religious fanatics overstepping their bounds by meddling with science and interferring with medicine I believe it is essential they are put in the defensive as often as possible.

Jung

???
Premium
I'm still laughing my ass off that this guy thinks he can control something as widespread as coins and paper money, trying to raise the very thing he is rejecting to support his cause.
How droll. What do you expect him to finance his campaign with? Clams? This isn't the Flintstones... But to touch upon the faulty logic of that statement, he's not "rejecting" US tender, he's rejecting the Christian messages imposed upon it. The guy is an American, he has no choice but to use US currency.

While I wouldn't go as far as he has, I do think it should be removed. This country was founded upon religious freedom, and supposed tolerance, so it seems a bit hypocritical that we would place references to a single religion on our money. I do agree that it doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't mind if it was removed.
UberSkippy said:
Wrong.

It was adopted during the era of McCarthyism (sp?) when arguing about God or America made you a pinko commie subject to long prison terms for doing nothing but expressing your 1st ammendment rights.
The phrase was added to some money in the late 1800s, and then later added to the rest in the 1950s.
So fuck it, In God We Trust has no place on US currency and never did.
I agree.
Woodreaux said:
however in light of religious fanatics overstepping their bounds by meddling with science and interferring with medicine I believe it is essential they are put in the defensive as often as possible.
I couldn't agree more. With all the ridiculous religious agendas in politics, and now science, I think it's good these religious types are being called on something. And that's the most common thing people point to when ignorantly trying to refute separation of church and state, or that our country wasn't founded on Christianity.

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
I trust God. God is money and money is God get it? In God we trust. Money is the only God I worship! It does buy happiness for me at least! If I'm hungry, cold, or sick, God Money takes care of everything. Even gets ladies in red to suck my dick.

I love God Money.

Jung

???
Premium
Jiraffe said:
I trust God. God is money and money is God get it? In God we trust. Money is the only God I worship! It does buy happiness for me at least! If I'm hungry, cold, or sick, God Money takes care of everything. Even gets ladies in red to suck my dick.

I love God Money.
I guess that's where the whole selling your soul cliche' comes from. :happysad:

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
Yep! I'm proud I sold my soul! Its about as useful as my appendix!

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
I however find it amusing that in a country whose laws are based on averages and multitudes, we cater to one athiests opinion. People make me sick. Just one more reason why I stay away from them.

His credit cards dont say in god we trust, why doesnt he just stick to using them?

What does he want it to say?

In Bush We Trust?

Fuck man, this guy makes me extremely ill. Hundreds of thousand of people lost thier home in 2005 but does this guy care? NO. He only wants to be on the news. And I will believe he is doing this based on his personal ideals when the little punk doesnt have a fundraiser going.

If he doesnt trust in a God, why isnt he out there trying to help those who have no god to turn to, who have no home or have no money.

What a great fucking philanthropist. I hope he chokes.

PS::

I think we should remove the pyramids form the dollar bill because it offends me. The pyramids were built as symbols for an ancient pantheon that offends my personal beliefs in one God.

Who wants to give me money to make that happen?????????????

ThomConspicuous

Inconspicuously Informal
Woodreaux said:
... however in light of religious fanatics overstepping their bounds by meddling with science and interferring with medicine I believe it is essential they are put in the defensive as often as possible.
Here, here. If this guy really wants to crusade for his cause he might try campaining against something more realistic and less expensive than irradicating the phrase from every piece of currency printed in the US. Then again, if he manages to affect all future currency, collectors will go crazy over mint pieces in 100 or so years.

junglizm said:
How droll. What do you expect him to finance his campaign with? Clams?
I don't care if he worked the angle DG suggested (credit cards), I was just laying down the obvious irony of it all.

UberSkippy said:
Wrong.

Yeah, I definitely went overboard on my statement, but the fact remains the decision was made by a Congress elected by the people during that time (a majority).

Regardless of the ideal of one true God, which is most likely the beliefs of those who enforced this on currency, courthouses, or wherever else it is imprinted, everyone believes in something that can be generically classified as god-like. Be it yourself or some white bearded dude who chills in the clouds.

If this guy's goal is to go after seperation of church and state he would better spend his time investigating and exploiting all the underhanded exchanges between evangelists and politicians who make or change laws that ACTUALLY affect the common people.

Go ahead remove the phrase, I doubt anyone will notice...:eek:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
dustinzgirl said:
What does he want it to say?
Most likely he'd like it to say nothing.

DG said:
Fuck man, this guy makes me extremely ill. Hundreds of thousand of people lost thier home in 2005 but does this guy care? NO. He only wants to be on the news. And I will believe he is doing this based on his personal ideals when the little punk doesnt have a fundraiser going.

If he doesnt trust in a God, why isnt he out there trying to help those who have no god to turn to, who have no home or have no money.

What a great fucking philanthropist. I hope he chokes.
I don't think he set out to be a philanthropist. I think he set out to highlight the lack of a seperation of church and state.

theconspicuous said:
Regardless of the ideal of one true God, which is most likely the beliefs of those who enforced this on currency, courthouses, or wherever else it is imprinted, everyone believes in something that can be generically classified as god-like. Be it yourself or some white bearded dude who chills in the clouds.
No, I don't believe in any form of higher being. I'm not God, nor do I see myself as god like. So the statement that everyone believes in something god-like is just bullshit. You believe in something, I don't.

theconspicuous said:
If this guy's goal is to go after seperation of church and state he would better spend his time investigating and exploiting all the underhanded exchanges between evangelists and politicians who make or change laws that ACTUALLY affect the common people.
Well, for starters going after the back room deals could easily be explained as a conspiracy theorist going nuts. He'd have to prove the deals are there and show that they happen. And all the while the people he accuses will simply say "Uh no we didn't do that, he's just nuts." But nobody can argue that the words "In God We Trust" aren't right there.

The other obvious reason he's going this route is that it's designed to highlight what he sees as the lack of seperation. If he were to go after Larry Craig you wouldn't give a rats ass because you probably don't know who he is. And if you did know, he's not your problem anyway so who cares? But money? That's EVERYONE'S problem.

theconspicuous said:
Go ahead remove the phrase, I doubt anyone will notice...
If nobody would notice why'd you raise such a stink about it?

ThomConspicuous

Inconspicuously Informal
UberSkippy said:
If nobody would notice why'd you raise such a stink about it?
To get someone's goat and I succeeded.

What I failed in doing was putting sarcasm tags around it...apparently bug eye smiley wasn't enough.

I'm impressed to find such a rare individual as yourself Uber that doesn't believe anything beyond comprehension deserves a title. Kudos to you.

"generically classified as god-like" was an allegory, just because it has the word god in it doesn't make it an assault on your taste.

For the record, yes I don't just believe in something, I think anything is possible and wouldn't really condemn anyone for believing different or not believing in anything.

In Something We Trust(ed)!?

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I'm not being sarcastic. In God we Trust. Under God. All of it should be gone, and right now. Every reference to God involving the Govt should be gone. It doesn't belong there, it doesn't promote freedom or justice or anything but a religious value.

The idea of having the 10 commandments in a courthouse makes me sick. I guess most people have never read them?

The First one is that there can be no other God, than God. Wow. That's real religious freedom right there. There's like 4 of them that are worth a shit, and people knew about the ideas Before and After the 10 commandments without them. Wow killing people is bad? Who would have known without the Bible?!?! Gasp! :rolleyes:

For America to ever evolve past what it is, all reference to God should be striken from money and any government related texts and places.

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
dustinzgirl said:
PS::

I think we should remove the pyramids form the dollar bill because it offends me. The pyramids were built as symbols for an ancient pantheon that offends my personal beliefs in one God.

Who wants to give me money to make that happen?????????????
Here's a dollar

ThomConspicuous said:
On his BIO page he claims "One day I was just looking at the coins (that) is what brought this up. I saw 'In God We Trust' on my coins. I said, 'I don't trust in God,' what is this?", but during his court debut for removing the pledge from schools in '04, 'Justice Sandra Day O'Connor said there "so many references to God" in public affairs, noting "In God We Trust" was on U-S currency and coins.'
Curious how he all of a sudden realized this when it's been around longer than he's been alive, and even had it blatantly stated to him in the most important event of his sorry life.

This bit of news just got me going and I thought I'd post about it (drunk I might add). The fact remains that the idea to print this on currency was adopted a long time ago by a majority (survival of the fittest motha-fucka)...

I personally could give a rat's ass whether a phrase including God is anywhere. It doesn't affect me in any way.

For added fun:
This take on Newdow is beyond hilarious.
I think what's really funny about all this is thathe took it to court where he didn't think of the whole fact that when witnesses are sworn in they use the phrase "so help me God." As for the subject of this thread, who the fuck cares? How does it harm anyone to see "In God we trust" on money? Habitual bitchers need to shut the fuck up. For athiests, if you don't like it don't look at it. I mean, how often do you really look at your money anyway? It just seems like a bunch of bullshit to me to complain about this sort of thing when it doesn't harm anyone.

Jung

???
Premium
tiger_86 said:
I think what's really funny about all this is thathe took it to court where he didn't think of the whole fact that when witnesses are sworn in they use the phrase "so help me God." As for the subject of this thread, who the fuck cares? How does it harm anyone to see "In God we trust" on money? Habitual bitchers need to shut the fuck up. For athiests, if you don't like it don't look at it. I mean, how often do you really look at your money anyway? It just seems like a bunch of bullshit to me to complain about this sort of thing when it doesn't harm anyone.
So says you, a religious type. I'm sure you wouldn't see a problem with it, your beliefs are reflected on these coins, and in our anthem. :rolleyes: I bet you would have a problem if the national anthem had "one nation, under the belief that there is no god" instead of "one nation, under god" though. A line that was coincidentally added in the 1950s as well, and absent in the original anthem.

If you think this "harms anyone to see it," then you've missed the entire point. This country isn't one country under god, nor should our country be based upon trusting in a singular god. That's not why this nation was founded, and putting it on our money just adds validity to those who would have it turn into a Christian nation - something our forefathers were certainly against.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Junglizm...you are a smart man...tried to rep you but I couldn't. It's the thought that counts though right?

junglizm said:
So says you, a religious type. I'm sure you wouldn't see a problem with it, your beliefs are reflected on these coins, and in our anthem. :rolleyes: I bet you would have a problem if the national anthem had "one nation, under the belief that there is no god" instead of "one nation, under god" though. A line that was coincidentally added in the 1950s as well, and absent in the original anthem.

If you think this "harms anyone to see it," then you've missed the entire point. This country isn't one country under god, nor should our country be based upon trusting in a singular god. That's not why this nation was founded, and putting it on our money just adds validity to those who would have it turn into a Christian nation - something our forefathers were certainly against.
I actually wouldn't care. You know why? Because as I mentioned in my post, I don't really look at my money and pay attention to what it says. I pay attention to the denominations and how much I have, that's it. Secondly, I believe what I believe, and there's no way that moneywould change my viewpoint. I was an athiest, and I have no problem with athiest views.

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
Seriously who does give a fuck and if you do two words. Get laid. Don't like those words how bout get drunk. Still nothing how about get stoned. Do something because if In God We Trust is a threat to your whole life and you can't find something else to bug about then you need serious help. I for one could care less. It could say In God We Trust or Bend Over For Uncle Sam and either way I would still take that shit down town and buy me an eighth, a bottle of tequilla, and a blow job. That rant said I return you to your arguement.

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
Uh Zeto? I never contradicted myself in Creation of Man. You tried to contradict the contradictions of a mass published book by which your religon stands by even though it is well known it was "mistranslated". Here I made a point and did not single out anyone at all. I stated my opinion. That is all. Dude you take things way to seriously and for that you have lost all respect from me. Rep Down.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Jiraffe said:
Seperation of Church and State. I agree. But the point is...you ready for this....text on money does NOT affect anyone at all.
As you can see, I edited out the flaming and am sticking to the core issue. I suggest the rest of you do the same.

You're right, the two words don't hurt me. However they do signify a connection between the church and the state.

It doesn't say "In a non-denomination deity we trust" It says "In God we trust" Based on the overwhelming Christian Majority in this country AND the fact that Christians refer to their deity of choice as God, it's pretty easy to infer that this is, in fact, a statement of support for Christianity on a government issued currency.

Why raise such a stink? It might not be any big deal but it opens a door to other forms of improper chuch and state mixing. Such as school boards redefining the term "science" so that they can teach a very thinly vailed from of creationism.

It's no big deal. Neither is stabbing someone if you don't kill them right? Sure that's a pretty big jump but it uses the same logic. As long as what you do isn't REALLY bad then the fact that it's illegal doesn't matter much.