WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

NHL Lockout Finally over!!!!!!!!!!!!

1,723
90
112
#1
The lockout is over!!!! Any hockey fans care to comment?
CBC News said:
The NHL and the Players' Association struck a tentative deal Wednesday on a new collective bargaining agreement that could end the hockey lockout.
On Wednesday, the NHL and commissioner Gary Bettman agreed in principle to a new CBA with the players' union.
The deal, reported to be for six years, still requires ratification from both the league's board of governors and the players' union.
The players will meet next Wednesday and Thursday in Toronto while the owners will meet Thursday in New York. Both sides are expected to approve the deal, leading to the return of NHL hockey for the 2005-06 season.
The league and union said details of the agreement would not be released until ratification is completed.
Both sides held internal discussions in New York on Tuesday morning – the 10th straight day of labour meetings – before wrapping up the 24-hour bargaining session Wednesday morning.
At 301 days, the NHL lockout was the longest labour dispute in the history of North American pro sports.
 

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
277
0
0
#2
Dude,

I spent the last 3 seasons travelling, I saw maybe a half dozen games in the whole 3 years, I was so excited to come home in November last year... and to what?! NO HOCKEY!!!

Now the season is back on, and I'm getting satellite TV on Aug 8. Read: All five Rogers sportsnet feeds!

W00T!

WTFN
 
4,149
1
0
#3
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The one and only sport is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God for miracles! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
1,723
90
112
#4
You know what sucks though? The new CBA is screwing rookie salaries so bad that Crosby might go play in the Swiss league.
 

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
277
0
0
#5
Sorry,

No sympathy for the players from me... They had many chances over the last year to end the lockout and accept a better deal than they have to put up with now. They would have been able to play a partial season (and probably get paid for a full one) instead of getting nothing for last year. The cap would have been better, as would have everything in the agreement. It's simply retarded what Bettman and Goodenow have let happen to our game. Goodenow was making concessions and promises to the players that were impossible to keep and no reasonable person would have believed them to be. All the sports reporters and analysts said it all along - there WILL be a cap, and the players had better accept a deal EARLY otherwise it will just get WORSE.

So now we have "Sindey" Crosby whining about his pay? Fuck 'im, go play in the Euro leagues, maybe you can get a Swiss Army Knife endorsement contract or something. (Haha lol Swiss Army Skates, perhaps!?)

What this league needs is some real players that want to play for play, not just pay. For the love of the game. It's a great sport and all this capitalist bullshit is breaking a lot of true hockey fans' hearts. There's a lot of pissed off people out there. I mean, the Canadian and most American teams will do fine for attendance, but in these stupid expansion cities, they don't even know there's a fucking hockey team at all, let alone that they've been locked out for the past year, and now it's over.

And don't even get me started about the rule changes....

Cheers,

WTFN
 
1,723
90
112
#6
I hope they close down the expansion franchises in places like Nashville. There are too many crappy teams diluting the talent pool at present.
 
4,149
1
0
#8
WTFNation said:
What this league needs is some real players that want to play for play, not just pay. For the love of the game. It's a great sport and all this capitalist bullshit is breaking a lot of true hockey fans' hearts. There's a lot of pissed off people out there. I mean, the Canadian and most American teams will do fine for attendance, but in these stupid expansion cities, they don't even know there's a fucking hockey team at all, let alone that they've been locked out for the past year, and now it's over.



Cheers,

WTFN
Look to the St. Louis Blues and you'll find players who just wanted to play. Chris Pronger, Keith Katchuk (sp?), and some of the others went down to the minor leagues just so they could play.
 
4,149
1
0
#10
bigeviljack666 said:
It's About Fucking Time I Almost Drove Off The Road When I Heard That On The Radio. Go Wings!!! Go Ahead Flame Me.
Stupid Commies. Grrrrrrr (No offense to you. Our teams are rivals.)
 

Janglenut

Particinator
863
0
0
#12
WTFNation said:
Sorry,

No sympathy for the players from me... They had many chances over the last year to end the lockout and accept a better deal than they have to put up with now. They would have been able to play a partial season (and probably get paid for a full one) instead of getting nothing for last year. The cap would have been better, as would have everything in the agreement. It's simply retarded what Bettman and Goodenow have let happen to our game. Goodenow was making concessions and promises to the players that were impossible to keep and no reasonable person would have believed them to be. All the sports reporters and analysts said it all along - there WILL be a cap, and the players had better accept a deal EARLY otherwise it will just get WORSE.

So now we have "Sindey" Crosby whining about his pay? Fuck 'im, go play in the Euro leagues, maybe you can get a Swiss Army Knife endorsement contract or something. (Haha lol Swiss Army Skates, perhaps!?)

What this league needs is some real players that want to play for play, not just pay. For the love of the game. It's a great sport and all this capitalist bullshit is breaking a lot of true hockey fans' hearts. There's a lot of pissed off people out there. I mean, the Canadian and most American teams will do fine for attendance, but in these stupid expansion cities, they don't even know there's a fucking hockey team at all, let alone that they've been locked out for the past year, and now it's over.

And don't even get me started about the rule changes....

Cheers,

WTFN


My thoughts exactly.....

Except I think some of the rules changes will make the game a bit better.
 
1,723
90
112
#13
WTFNation said:
Sorry,

No sympathy for the players from me... They had many chances over the last year to end the lockout and accept a better deal than they have to put up with now. They would have been able to play a partial season (and probably get paid for a full one) instead of getting nothing for last year. The cap would have been better, as would have everything in the agreement. It's simply retarded what Bettman and Goodenow have let happen to our game. Goodenow was making concessions and promises to the players that were impossible to keep and no reasonable person would have believed them to be. All the sports reporters and analysts said it all along - there WILL be a cap, and the players had better accept a deal EARLY otherwise it will just get WORSE.

So now we have "Sindey" Crosby whining about his pay? Fuck 'im, go play in the Euro leagues, maybe you can get a Swiss Army Knife endorsement contract or something. (Haha lol Swiss Army Skates, perhaps!?)

What this league needs is some real players that want to play for play, not just pay. For the love of the game. It's a great sport and all this capitalist bullshit is breaking a lot of true hockey fans' hearts. There's a lot of pissed off people out there. I mean, the Canadian and most American teams will do fine for attendance, but in these stupid expansion cities, they don't even know there's a fucking hockey team at all, let alone that they've been locked out for the past year, and now it's over.

And don't even get me started about the rule changes....

Cheers,

WTFN
I disagree, this is the owners fault. The players made all the concessions, the owners didn't give ground at all.

Also, When Bettman came in as commissioner, the NHL was a top-level league, comparable to the NBA. Now look at it, 1/3 of the teams will probably (hopefully?) die, an entire season has been lost, and the leage is in what could probably be described as a shitty position. You know who I blame? Bettman. He expanded the league beyond its borders, putting franchises in places like Nashville, Carolina, and Columbus.
That's the problem, too many teams in shitty places, and it's all Bettman's fault.
 

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
277
0
0
#14
canadian_pov said:
I disagree, this is the owners fault. The players made all the concessions, the owners didn't give ground at all.

Also, When Bettman came in as commissioner, the NHL was a top-level league, comparable to the NBA. Now look at it, 1/3 of the teams will probably (hopefully?) die, an entire season has been lost, and the leage is in what could probably be described as a shitty position. You know who I blame? Bettman. He expanded the league beyond its borders, putting franchises in places like Nashville, Carolina, and Columbus.
That's the problem, too many teams in shitty places, and it's all Bettman's fault.

Exactly. That was my point. The players should have known that the owners wouldn't give from the beginning. They were fucked either way and wouldn't negotiate, so they lose, good day sir!

I'd write more but my steak is on the Barbie and it's done.

Cheers,

WTFN
 
1,723
90
112
#15
WTFNation said:
Exactly. That was my point. The players should have known that the owners wouldn't give from the beginning. They were fucked either way and wouldn't negotiate, so they lose, good day sir!

I'd write more but my steak is on the Barbie and it's done.

Cheers,

WTFN
Yeah, but players had a reasonable expectation that the owners would give some ground, they were engaged in "negotiations."
 
1,723
90
112
#17
fucktheliberals said:
Hockey!!! yaaay! (i only watch it for the fights)
Fuck you, you demean the greatest sport the world has ever seen with your filthy commentary. The hockey fans here hate you, and, seeing as this is their thread, you will die now. Gretzky was the best not because he fought (he didn't), but because he was unstoppable offensively.

Go die in a hole.
 
4,149
1
0
#18
canadian_pov said:
Fuck you, you demean the greatest sport the world has ever seen with your filthy commentary. The hockey fans here hate you, and, seeing as this is their thread, you will die now. Gretzky was the best not because he fought (he didn't), but because he was unstoppable offensively.

Go die in a hole.
I agree with him.
 
1,723
90
112
#19
tiger_86 said:
I agree with him.
That is because you don't respect the game, as a Canadian, I am honor-bound to defend hockey to my dying breath. Therefore I proclaim you to be ignorant, pathetic, and a sad little man. ;)

EDIT: (sarcasm)
 
4,149
1
0
#20
canadian_pov said:
That is because you don't respect the game, as a Canadian, I am honor-bound to defend hockey to my dying breath. Therefore I proclaim you to be ignorant, pathetic, and a sad little man. ;)

EDIT: (sarcasm)
No, no, I was agreeing with you. Sorry, I should have made that clearer. I'm a die hard hockey fan and was very depressed when the lockout started and I couldn't watch the games. :( I couldn't watch my Blues play for a whole season, and now with the new agreement and the new rules I'm not sure they'll be around much longer. *sobs*