WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Nikon Small world winning photos.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Nikon has published the winners in the Small world magnification competition.

my favorite is this one.. velcro being pulled apart. (94x)

the winner was this one.. a fly's head. (6.25x)

more here

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
the winner a fly's head? How boring. So national geograpic of them. You're right, the velcro is cool though.

Very cool link, void. :thumbsup:

I think this one's my favorite:

Chaetomorpha antennina (seaweed) (20x)

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Macro photography is cool. One of the neatest that I have see was an extreme closeup of an icicle. Some of the fissures in it looked like the grand canyon.

countrygrl said:
Macro photography is cool. One of the neatest that I have see was an extreme closeup of an icicle. Some of the fissures in it looked like the grand canyon.
Yes, macro photography is cool. But, that's taking pictures of large scale things. Micro photography is what you are looking for.
Very cool link void.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
kokorami said:
Yes, macro photography is cool. But, that's taking pictures of large scale things. Micro photography is what you are looking for.
Very cool link void.
Nope....macro photography is taking close up pictures of small things and thereby making them look very big.

Taking close-up pictures of small things is called "macro photography." I have no idea why. Perhaps because the small things in macro photography are generally larger than the things you are taking pictures of when doing "micro photography".
http://www.photo.net/macro/primer

http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/article.htmhttp://www.macrophotography.org/

It's something that I been playing around with lately. I have some pictures of rain drops on the petal of a flower and in the raindrop you can see a reflection of the flower. Put on a big lense....hit the macro button and then get very close. You can see all kinds of things.

And finally the only difference between macro and micro

"Macrophotography" is the term used when you're shooting extremely close to a small subject. It differs from microphotography only in the degree of magnification required. Microphotography refers to a magnification factor of 100x or more, while macrophotography covers the range of around 1x to 10x.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Was using just an Oympus Camedia. Just recently got an Olympus Evolt 500 digital SLR.

Don't worry about it the macro and micro thing all made sense. That's the way it works iin economics anyway. :D

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i haven't gone digital yet for real photos, i use a lil' HP digi thing for snaps but the lag is awful..
i use a Canon Rebel Ti 35mm for everything i actually care about.. i guess i'm old school with photos, i've been taking them for about 30 years with film and i just like doing it.. maybe i'm a dinosaur..

God, I didn't think you were over 30. You don't look it. I'm calling 35 at the most.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
kokorami said:
God, I didn't think you were over 30. You don't look it. I'm calling 35 at the most.
what you basing that on, my avatar?

Yes void, I'm basing this on what someone else's asscrack looks like. ::sarcasm:: I based it on the thread you posted, what you look like when posting in WTF.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
kokorami said:
Yes void, I'm basing this on what someone else's asscrack looks like. ::sarcasm:: I based it on the thread you posted, what you look like when posting in WTF.
how do you know that was me in that thread?

whereas, my avatar as supplied by stardust is a perfect representation of me.. and i prefer to judge others by the quality of their posterior, i'm like a dog in that way..

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.

Phenyl threonine (20x)

Looks like my notes from high school. :lol:

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
I got a good digital camera back in 2000 as a graduation present so from the start I was getting good quality, very printable pictures. First I used shutterfly to print then I bought a photo printer. The newest camera will take pictures with a very, very good print quality at small poster size. I have one large one that I'm waiting to get framed now.

I love my digital cameras.:D