WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Ninan: Ninan is not a news reader

Jung

???
Premium
http://ninan.sourceforge.net/
Ninan is a binary news downloading program. But the major difference from most other programs is that Ninan is a pure serverside version.

This means that all access is via a browser and that all things are controlled via a browser. That means that Ninan can be accessed from anywhere if you set up a server or just uses your workstation to run Ninan. Offcourse if you run Ninan on a workstation you should probably open up your firewall or what have you.

One other major thing about Ninan (for the moment that is) is that it only supports the nzb file format. And therefore Ninan has done a lot to integrate very nicely with the Newzbin site.

The future will show how Ninan will develop but it is very likely that we will create an interface like some of the "standard" binary news programs to support arbitrary downloads without the need for a nzb file or Newzbin.

I started playing with this last night and so far I like it a lot. I like the idea of running this on a secondary PC and using my web browser to access it. I've been doing this with NewsLeecher and remote desktop, but it's definitely not ideal. The GreaseMonkey script is nice too.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Pretty slick. Newsbin Pro 5.0 beta already supports a similar feature. It can monitor a directory for NZB files. If it finds one in there, it will add it to the download list and begin fetching it. It's not as slick as this, but it works well enough where I dont have to remote-desktop into the aux-PC all the time.

Jung

???
Premium
BRiT said:
Pretty slick. Newsbin Pro 5.0 beta already supports a similar feature. It can monitor a directory for NZB files. If it finds one in there, it will add it to the download list and begin fetching it.
NewsLeecher supports that as well.