WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines no more PBS?

tkme2thebedroom

standard people-hater
Yeah,
Congress Looks to Defund PBSsee more here

They want to be rid of it for being "liberally biased". Why not outlaw all t.v, then? Next it will be mtv or nick or cartoon network. Why do they not like it? Because one show wanted to show a household with two lesbian moms.

Now look, I'm a conservative independant. I generally follow their politics, but this is fuckin ridiculous. This is another perfect example of why I try to keep an open mind and look at things neutrally.

So now they're trying to take away a wonderful station by withdrawing funding; a station that I grew up on and continues to teach today's kids. What the hell will they think of next? Oh, and rural radio stations losing funding? People in the sticks can't listen to music now? Huzzah for our fascinating modern age.

"conservative independant"? You are an oxymoron.

But come on, they have to shut down PBS. It's the only station that can show you ants fucking for two hours, then ask you for money with a straight face.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
It has kinda lost it's appeal for me ever since the kewl painter guy with the banging afro died. :fro:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Magic Hobo said:
"conservative republican"? You are an oxymoron.
No, Liberal Republican would be an oxymoron.

Conservative Independent isn't an oxymoron. She has conservative leanings but no party affilitation.

Jung

???
Premium
tkme2thebedroom said:
Yeah,
Congress Looks to Defund PBSsee more here
They want to be rid of it for being "liberally biased".
Well it is a public television station, and they are liberally biased. I guess I can see why the GOP would want to cut funding, however retarded it may be. Now if we could only kill funding for the other 95% of all media which is conservatively biased.
Why not outlaw all t.v, then?
Because most TV isn't 'liberally biased,' or publicly funded.
Next it will be mtv or nick or cartoon network.
What?

The only problem I have with the idea is that National Public Radio will be cut too. I listen to that all the time when I'm riding in the car with my parents. It's really the only way I can find out what's going on in the news a lot of times due to lack of time. Write a letter to your local congressman to express your dislike for the idea. That's what I did.

Jung

???
Premium
Save Npr And Sesame Street

Sign the petition telling Congress to save NPR and PBS:

http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?t=1

A House panel has voted to eliminate all public funding for NPR and PBS, starting with "Sesame Street," "Reading Rainbow," and other commercial-free children's shows. If approved, this would be the most severe cut in the history of public broadcasting, threatening to pull the plug on Big Bird, Cookie Monster, and Oscar the Grouch.

The cuts would slash 25% of the federal funding this year—$100 million—and end funding altogether within two years. The loss could kill beloved children's shows like "Clifford the Big Red Dog," "Arthur," and "Postcards from Buster." Rural stations and those serving low-income communities might not survive. Other stations would have to increase corporate sponsorships.

The next vote on the cuts will take place tomorrow (Thursday). Help us reach 400,000 signatures to be delivered to the committee members.

http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?t=2

Thanks!

P.S. Read the Washington Post report on the threat to NPR and PBS at:

http://www.moveon.org/r?r=745
If anyone is interested...

bnccoder

Postaholic
breakology said:
It has kinda lost it's appeal for me ever since the kewl painter guy with the banging afro died. :fro:
Bob Ross

I'm not going to miss it. I never liked the programing that much anyway.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Wow does that suck. I don't personally have TV but when I did I found the news on PS kicked major ass on the corporate TV news. I knew the administration was pissed at PBS because they were reporting some bad things, and backing them up with facts, about the current situations in America. Doesn't surprise me they want to kill it altogether. One less non-controlled voice is better it seems.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
guess they will have to go to HBO.. Sesame street in the city.. then they can take it to where they want...

Burt and Earnie admit thier love!

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
ps they've ruled to overturn the initiative to cut the funding for PBS and NPR today. congress reinstated the 100M or whatever it was of public support, hurray!

take the money and run like the wind! :)

descent's post was an attempt to relate the book 1984 by George Orwell to today's society.

Read it and you'll get it.

EDIT: better yet, be lazy and read the very top part of the picture he posted ... it'll give you a clear enough idea.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
its one thing to have privately funded biased programming... its another for the governement to fund a politically biased network... but if the government doesn't fund it... it won't stay afloat on its own... ex. Air America...