WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Noam Chomsky

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
I´m curious about your views on the USA´s most famous dissident, Noam Chomsky. I´ve read a few of his books and find them very interesting..

so has the US propaganda already made him a liar in they eyes of the people, or are you still to read, educate and think on your own?

Reads: (I have translated these form finnish, so they might appear in a different form)
Ideology and Power I
Ideology and Power II
9/11
Power and terror
The new military humanism
World dominance or the apocalypse?
Pirates and Ceasars
Media Control

These are just the ones I´ve read.
Full of interesting facts and thoughts.

Btw. as I studied for my entry exams to study psychology in the university Noam Chomsky came up on one of the books. Psycholinquistics.
As I studied a book called "linquistics" by Oxford the name Chomsky came up.

A busy fellow.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
I've read "what uncle sam really wants" and I thought it was really good.

That's where I learned for the first time that America supported fascist dictators in latin America during the cold war.

Lots of other things as well. Get it on the internet, it's free (it's not a book, more like a document)

I've never personally read any of his works, but have read a lot about him. For those who have never heard of him, here's an abbreviated version:

Chomsky was a U.S. theoretical linguist, noted for explaining the theory of generative grammar. He also theorized that linguistic behavior is innate, not learned, and that all languages share the same underlying grammatical base.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
teh anarchist said:
I've never personally read any of his works, but have read a lot about him. For those who have never heard of him, here's an abbreviated version:

Chomsky was a U.S. theoretical linguist, noted for explaining the theory of generative grammar. He also theorized that linguistic behavior is innate, not learned, and that all languages share the same underlying grammatical base.
He also wrote a lot of "international politics" kind of books and texts.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
he's eccentric and bright; a crank, unfortunately he's more pompous hubris thus expectantly socially inept- like the typical overacheiving scholar. he's made his mark by being an extremely wordy elitist who's views are tantamount to, "if you say black, he'll say white." reputing him to be the "bad boy" of scholarly thought; an extremist if you will. variety is the spice of life.

tzedek

Original Member
I havet read much of his stuff, but I will in the coming months. Then I will get back to you.

R

RedOctober

Well.. As long as there are guys like Noam in America, not all hope is lost.

It is the court jester who speaks the truth, to take care the leaders keep an open mind.
The problem is, America is now governed by a court jester, and nobody tells him the truth.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
In my personal opinion is that he is one of the smartest people to come out of the US.. One has to have balls to write and lecture about this kind of stuff in a half-dicatorship like the USA. If he were to live in Cuba for example and write this, there´d be no way he´d still be breathing..
I´d put him right next to Che Guevara. A wise and educated man who does things that he seems right for his people things, even on the cost of his career.. Otherwise he is quite unlike Che. (on whom Jean Paul Sartre said ""Che was the most complete human being of our age.")

USA needs more people like him..

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
DanGeo23 said:
didn't he defend the Pol Pot regime?

Didn't the US defend Hussein, Laden, Pinochet and countless malicious regimes over the course of history? sheesh. I'll still answer your question, Chomsky was totally against the bombing of Cambodia under Pol Pot. He didn't defend or support Pol Pot, but he questionned the US bombings.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
He's revered at universities, especially in Computer Science and Cognitive Science areas. I don't know about the other departments.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
DanGeo23 said:
viva la revolucion...
- Captain Obvious, was that sarcasm?
- Obviously, shitbrain.

Don't forget your country was born out of a revolution. A long time ago, and it wasn't pretty if you consider blood nasty. But how about you right now, viva el status quo? Of course, when our 20% of the world population consumes 80% of the global ressources, that's an easy thing to say.

My country (back then, colony) got taken by the British in 1760 and the only armed revolution afterwards was a disastrous failure, in 1837. Then we had a "quiet revolution" in the 1960's wich made us more independant from the federal and incredibly richer. Health care, high education, nationalization of electricity, all that was aquired peacefully. However, if a revolution can't take place peacefully (like, in a poor country), an armed revolution is sometimes the only good risk to take, although I'm aware some leaders think more about them than about the people.

Rule number 1 of a revolution : have the people on your side.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
not all revolutions lead to a better life for the people.... some revolutions sound good... and look good on paper... great ideas... communism isn't good for the bourgeoisie...

Rule #1 for a revolution.. Tell the people what they wanna hear... the grass is always greener....

R

RedOctober

DanGeo23 said:
not all revolutions lead to a better life for the people.... some revolutions sound good... and look good on paper... great ideas... communism isn't good for the bourgeoisie...

Rule #1 for a revolution.. Tell the people what they wanna hear... the grass is always greener....
Haha... George Bush told your penis grows with 50% if the USA fights a war in Iraq, but that didn't seem to be true. :rolleyes:

The point is, a revolution is no great fun. It only happens when people are desperate. Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose...

Anyway, not all revolutions are progressive..
The Dutch and American revolutions were conservative.
The French revolution turned into a conservative nightmare under the reign of Napoleon Bonaparte.
But in most cases there are allways the British that mix things up, and in the end there are a lot more people dead and gone.
Russia could develop the harsh Stalinism because the British and Americans invaded Russia right after the Bolsjevik revolution.
Reactionary forces could maintain themselves for a while, thanks to the Anglo-American coalition. This caused an enormous misery in the long run.

If there is shit somewhere in the world, find zhe British!
Americans should know that! Them hooligans even set fire to the White House!