WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines NOLA doctors

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i don't find this particularly shocking.. but i do find it terribly sad, for all involved.

"thanks brownie.. you're doing a terrific job."

DOCTORS working in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans killed critically ill patients rather than leave them to die in agony as they evacuated.

With gangs of rapists and looters rampaging through wards in the flooded city, senior doctors took the harrowing decision to give massive overdoses of morphine to those they believed could not make it out alive.
One New Orleans doctor told how she "prayed for God to have mercy on her soul" after she ignored every tenet of medical ethics and ended the lives of patients she had earlier fought to save.
Her heart-rending account has been corroborated by a hospital orderly and by local government officials. One emergency official, William Forest McQueen, said: "Those who had no chance of making it were given a lot of morphine and lain down in a dark place to die."

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,16566858-5001022,00.html

jamesp

In Memory...
That is horrible, not because the doctors killed those people, but because the doctors were forced to make that descicion. I agree with them completely, but I can't imagine how hard it must have been to come to that.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
not surprising... oooh.. but Dr Kevorkian gets to move into supervising!

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Was she a monster? Probably not.

Was she feeling desparate, and not thinking clearly? Probably so.

Did she do the right thing? Only God knows...

Jung

???
Premium
Hard times call for hard decisions. I'd find it acceptable if she was putting someone out of their misery when there was nothing else for them to look forward to (read: relief of pain or recovery), at least in this context.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
junglizm said:
Hard times call for hard decisions. I'd find it acceptable if she was putting someone out of their misery when there was nothing else for them to look forward to (read: relief of pain or recovery), at least in this context.
It sounds good, but if she off'd your Grandma, maybe you'd feel differently...

jamesp

In Memory...
No, I think I would rather my grandmother given a lethal dose of morphine, than dying from starvation, dehydration, looters, or simply the fact that they could not function without medical equipment.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
voiceofreason said:
hmm.. if my gran was in that shituation with no sign of the 'crawford ranch cavalry' i might just give her a dirt nap myself..
of course it's easy for me to be so flippant, i lost both of mine in the 70's..
i see nothing wrong with euthanasia, at all.. it's humane, we do it to pets, and a lot of us love our pets more than our fellow man..
what i do have a problem with is having to euthanize someone who otherwise would've survived, due to 'brownie' sucking the proverbial..

Jung

???
Premium
voiceofreason said:
In this situation, there are plenty of sickly patients that just won’t make it. It’s a sad and horrible reality. But it’s reality nonetheless. It takes time and medicine, which are both in short supply, to maintain those patients. Using those resources on patients that won’t make it is irresponsible, when others stand to benifit from them. In this context, I would be happy that someone else could be saved by my grandmother dying. I think she would want it that well as well.

You should know that this is an exception in my book though.