WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

NOLA stripclub attempts to reopen..

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
New Orleans strip joint wants to get back to work By Jason Webb Mon Sep 12,11:17 AM ET

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - There's no water for the "wash the girl of your choice" service and there aren't any girls either, but Big Daddy's strip club on New Orleans' Bourbon Street is getting ready to bring back erotic spectacle to the devastated city.
Friday night on Bourbon Street, usually a throbbing artery of the party-going French Quarter, was pretty grim this time around in what has become a foul-smelling ghost town partly covered with a swamp of filthy water.
Police patrol cars and military Humvees made up most of the traffic on the street.
But Big Daddy's general manager, Saint Jones, and a band of helpers defied an evacuation order by arriving to clean up their premises in the historic French Quarter, which escaped largely unscathed from the floods.
Jones told Reuters he would open for business as soon as he could get electricity, water and dancers.
He was already had electricity from a generator, which was moving a pair of robotic woman's legs, in stockings and pink high heels, waving invitingly on the street by the sign for Big Daddy's.
He also had plenty of bottled water.
But his former employees had been evacuated, so his main problem was convincing girls to come to a town without services and supposedly off limits to most civilians.
But Jones, a corpulent man with a strawberry blond beard wearing a black t-shirt reading "I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies yet," foresaw few problems getting strippers.
"It shouldn't be too hard. Everyone's going to come back in town and want to work. You know, if you've got 50 dancers in Houston and they're not making money, they're going to spread out," he said.
Judging from the number of military and police vehicles which stopped or slowed passing Big Daddy's, they'll have plenty of customers. It didn't seem to occur to the men in uniform to enforce the evacuation order in effect on the city -- they preferred to ask when the strippers would be back.
One army Humvee, carrying a team of Puerto Rican troops, stopped so that a soldier could pose with his M16 rifle by a life-size picture of a naked blonde while his buddy took a photo.
Jones gave them vodka on the rocks in plastic cups, which they enjoyed before hopping back in the Humvee.
Big Daddy's sign advertises several attractions, including "Bottomless. Topless. Table top dancing," and "Wash the girl of your choice."
This last item seemed to provide a business challenge in a city where the scant running water available in some districts is infected with feces and toxic loads of bacteria.
But Jones was undaunted.
"We'll make sure they get showers," he said.

Of course, Jones will fail in his ambition if he is compelled to evacuate.
One of his helpers, Vietnam veteran Terry Fredricks, who has temporarily moved into the strip joint because his home is flooded, said they would only leave if they were forced to go but they would go peacefully if it came to that. Jones maintained his optimism. Asked about the identity of his potential customers, he replied, inaccurately as it happens, "probably you."

wow .. okay I can see a grocery store getting back in business, but a strip club? Give me a break.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
It doesn't surprise me, everyone is trying to "cash in" on this horrible event, well nearly everyone. If there's a buck to be made, they'll be there. Sigh.

Jung

???
Premium
JLXC said:
It doesn't surprise me, everyone is trying to "cash in" on this horrible event, well nearly everyone.
That could be it, but I think it's more about entertainment value. I guess you'd have to understand the NOLA mentality though... There are some bars that have stayed open the entire time, save for during the actual hurricane. French Quarter residents are there and drinking; "passing a good time." The remaining quarter residents also held their own make-shift parade the other day. :thumbsup:

Damn I miss the Quarter already. :(

JLXC

Premium
I agree it could be about spirit, but his comments about "if you've got 50 dancers in Houston and they're not making money, they're going to spread out," makes me imagine him rubbing his hands together and imagining the profits from all the dancers working for him for a time. I could be wrong, but maybe not on this one.

Jung

???
Premium
JLXC said:
I agree it could be about spirit, but his comments about "if you've got 50 dancers in Houston and they're not making money, they're going to spread out,"
That says to me that dancers are displaced just like everyone else, and obviously they're not making any money in NOLA right now, so they, like everyone else, are looking for work elsewhere. You have people in the Quarter willing to pay for that entertainment, so obviously there are going to be those trying to provide it.

Everyone wants to get back on their feet; workers want to return to their jobs, business owners want to open their businesses up again. That is these people’s livelihood. I see no reason to fault them for that. It's easy to judge people from afar though...
I could be wrong, but maybe not on this one.
I think you are, just like in your other comments about this. Having never lived in New Orleans, I think this is something you're incapable of understanding.

JLXC

Premium
I understand you are upset about this issue, with your personal involvement, so I've been going easy. But if you're telling me everyone in NO was NOT into making money by any means, like every other american town, then you're wrong. If you think people, even people from NO, are not going to try to cash in as much as possible You're wrong there too. Sorry man, you've obviously got the spirit, and many others will as well, but there will always be people who take advantage in times like this.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i think it's more about spirit than money..
more about keeping 'up' than making enough to buy a plasma..

and you have to admit, it's a pretty awesome free ad for that titty parlour..

Jung

???
Premium
JLXC said:
But if you're telling me everyone in NO was NOT into making money by any means, like every other american town, then you're wrong.
That's certainly NOT what I said, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find any evidence of that. I'm obviously only speaking of the issue represented in this thread and article.
If you think people, even people from NO, are not going to try to cash in as much as possible You're wrong there too.
You’re definitely right about that, and I didn’t challenge that assertion. There are always people who price gouge and plain rip others off after hurricanes. However, I don’t think that’s the case in this issue, which is obviously what this thread was about.

JLXC

Premium
I'm certainly not trying to piss you off, you got enough on your plate Jung. I just read it different, and knowing that strip clubs are 100 percent about the benjamins, the owner would have a near monopoly and get tons of cash over this. That's all I was saying.