WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Norton Antivirus/Internet Security subscription

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
i keep getting these messages telling me my subscription is going to expire in 4 days. out of frustration i clicked "renew" and it loaded up a page asking for credit card information for payment of $148 to download the 2006 version

it doesn't end there, apparently the product available from stores is better, and ironically, has some problems installing.

it all seems like a bit of a monopoly with all these mostly unnecessary virus definitions and liveupdates. are companies like mcafee offering better products? maybe it's time to change,

breakology

Kiss my Converse
If you are able to, try to get a copy of norton corprate edition, you don't have to pay for the subscription for automatic updates.

USe your imagination as to where to find such a thing, but I hear they have that sort of thing at places like kazaa (K++) of course thats just hearsay, I would'nt know personally because such use of shareware programs is illegal, and so would be distributing said program on said p2p network.

.... enter wtf.com lawers ....

Jung

???
Premium
Get a REAL Anti virus application, you WILL get viruses with Norton.

You should look into www.nod32.com or www.kaspersky.com, both are many times better than Norton and cheaper.

Personally I use NOD32 because of it's reputation, history and awards... and the fact that it's found things that no other av app has. Here's a list of Eset's awards received for NOD32.
Since May 1998, NOD32 has been the only antivirus product in the world that has not missed a single (ItW) worm or virus in the rigorous testing conducted by the Virus Bulletin. This time the Virus Bulletin re-tested the Windows 2003 Server platform.

Since the last time the Virus Bulletin tested this platform, close to 90 new worms were added to the “In the Wild” (ItW) category. Once again, NOD32 won the 100% Award for detection of all (ItW) worms and viruses while getting no false positives. Additionally, NOD32 outperformed all 26 products tested by having the fastest scanning rates for the executable files!

jamesp

In Memory...
breakology said:
If you are able to, try to get a copy of norton corprate edition, you don't have to pay for the subscription for automatic updates.

USe your imagination as to where to find such a thing, but I hear they have that sort of thing at places like kazaa (K++) of course thats just hearsay, I would'nt know personally because such use of shareware programs is illegal, and so would be distributing said program on said p2p network.

.... enter wtf.com lawers ....
not to be a stickler, but insinuating that is a violation of rules here.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
jamesp said:
not to be a stickler, but insinuating that is a violation of rules here.
I disagree ... I just stated that I heard there is illegal activity at said locations and stated that it would be a crime to take the before mentioned action.

of course, I may be guilty of violating this rule:
10. Don't be a fucking idiot!
But that's only if you take this place tooo seriously. I mean, this ain't exactly securityfocus.org you know ... :p

jamesp

In Memory...
no kidding, but the rules are there for a reason, in this case wtf.com could get in trouble for promoting warez.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
jamesp said:
wtf.com could get in trouble for promoting warez.
Ok, now you are just giving me ideas ... I guess you don't know how impressionable I really am.

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
i've sone some research and the mcafee versions are slightly cheaper and probably offer the same protection, i might look into buying these instead

Jung

???
Premium
dookie said:
i've sone some research and the mcafee versions are slightly cheaper and probably offer the same protection, i might look into buying these instead
Don't waste your money on McAffee products, they're horrible. :( I listed the top two anti virus applications, why not choose one of them? They're both reasonably priced.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
dookie dude, norton's like $10 to renew your subscription wtf are you talking about?????

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
gurlgonewild said:
dookie dude, norton's like $10 to renew your subscription wtf are you talking about?????

okay, seems we're BOTH WRONG! :rolleyes:

bnccoder

Postaholic
Trend Micro has a good Antivirus/Firewall/Spam/Spyware setup. The updates come out much quicker than Norton or McAfee. I've never tried NOD32 or Kapersky but Jung knows his shit, don't doubt him.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
dookie is that USD? awhile (two years?) ago i only paid $10, seems to be up to $30 now. :confuzzled:

Jung

???
Premium
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say you should choose the programs I listed, but you really shouldn't choose an anti virus program based on it's price. If you're going to buy protection instead of using a free scanner, you might as well get a good one. No point in spending the money on an application that is going to miss viruses and allow you to get infected. You should be looking for real world comparisons and "in the wild" tests; you want something with good heuristics as well as definitions. You should check out http://www.virusbtn.com; they're THE source for anti virus tests and application benchmarks. You should be good with any of their top 10 applications.

You might want to have a look at this table.