WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Numbers comparing 1GB RAM vs. 2GB RAM in BF2

Jung

???
Premium
Just been screwing around today a bit, putting together a few timedemos in BF2.

I finished one with a custom camera that I call "flight" demo. It's against the computer on a 16 player version of the "Operation Clean Sweep" map. I spent the entire map flying the F-15, recording about 5-6 minutes of it for timedemo purposes. Aerial combat, air-to-ground combat, and bombing runs.

I also recorded a ground combat demo, but I will post the results from that one tomorrow when I get done running it and recording a custom camera for it.

Hardware configuration:
Athlon64 FX-57
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Western Digital 250GB SATA II drive
Some cheapass DVD drive
Three different video cards. (6600 GT, 6800 GT, 7800 GTX)

The memory I used was always two sticks. First 2x512 and then 2x1024 sticks. The timings were set to 2-3-2-6 in the BIOS.

Here's my results, all video cards are PCI-Express.

Asus 6600 GT

800x600
1GB - 57.1 fps
2GB - 69.5 fps

1280x1024
1GB - 31.2 fps
2GB - 36.6 fps

BFG 6800GT OC

800x600
1GB - 95.4 fps
2GB - 99.0 fps

1280x1024
1GB - 54.5 fps
2GB - 68.4 fps

nVidia Reference 7800GTX

800x600
1GB - 126.6 fps
2GB - 136.8 fps

1280x1024
1GB - 93.9 fps
2GB - 109.1 fps

HERE IS A GRAPH COURTESY OF DR. FRED WHO IS NOT ACTUALLY A REAL DOCTOR:

This is with all options turned on, 4xAA and max AF.

I don't have SLI numbers because it would be useless for what I'm doing.

For fun, here's the numbers for a PCI-Express GeForce FX 5750:

2GB only, because I didn't want to wait two hours for a 1GB version to finish:
800x600 - 13.0 fps
1280x1024 - 6.8 fps

I don't have the patience to do fancy graphs or anything, (but Dr. Fred does, look above!) but this definitely proves that 2GB of memory helps quite a bit in BF2. It single handedly made 1280x1024 playable with everything turned on on the 6600 GT, and it made the 6800 GT smooth as silk at the same resolution.

I can post more numbers tomorrow, but these numbers prove that there is a significant performance difference. I'm going to re-run these tests again to verify everything, of course, and then try and duplicate them on an intel-based system and do some further benchmarking, but most of that will probably stay internal.

Thought you guys might be interested.
Figured some of you would find this interesting.

jamesp

In Memory...
hmm...those extra frames can be a world of difference in a game life BF2. But it appears that the frame rate is not that increased by adding more RAM. Interesting....yes CAPITAL!

i have an evga 6600gt now, but with a sempron 3100+ (1.8ghz) and 512 mb memory...i'm planing on getting an extra 1GB memory...do you think that will help alot....? because adding a whole 5 fps isn't gonna help...

jamesp

In Memory...
you'd be suprised, plus more RAM is cool because you can have several things running at once.

Jung

???
Premium
jamesp said:
hmm...those extra frames can be a world of difference in a game life BF2. But it appears that the frame rate is not that increased by adding more RAM. Interesting....yes CAPITAL!
It's not interesting because of the admittedly marginal (in context) performance gains; it's interesting because BF2 is the first game to actually use over 1GB of memory. Previous games (HL2, Doom3, Farcry) saw little or no improvement with over 1GB. Anyway, in a lot of cases, the gains are 10-15%, si I'd say that's a decent improvement.

BF2 uses huge textures, and they get offloaded into RAM. So while getting 130FPS isn't really that important, the added RAM keeps it from paging textures to disk, which obvious causes a considerable performance hit. This is most noticeable when flying low to ground on large maps.

Also, take into account that 2GB of memory lets even the 6600GT run the game at full settings.
dull_bullet said:
i have an evga 6600gt now, but with a sempron 3100+ (1.8ghz) and 512 mb memory...i'm planing on getting an extra 1GB memory...do you think that will help alot....? because adding a whole 5 fps isn't gonna help...
1GB of memory is the de facto standard today, even for general use. These test prove that new games are becoming more memory based, because of things like large textures, and relatively small amounts of video RAM.( less than 256 in most cases) So yes, if you plan on playing new games at decent settings, the more RAM the better.

jamesp

In Memory...
Hmm....didnt even make that connection. Though I dont see how on earth that BF 2 could use more RAM than FarCry, the maps in FC were much larger than in BF2 with possibly more texture and detail.

Jung

???
Premium
jamesp said:
Though I dont see how on earth that BF 2 could use more RAM than FarCry, the maps in FC were much larger than in BF2 with possibly more texture and detail.
Ever play BF2 on a 64 player map at full settings, high resolution and AA/AF?

jamesp

In Memory...
junglizm said:
Ever play BF2 on a 64 player map at full settings, high resolution and AA/AF?
good point, never played with more than 16 players.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Expert said:
Some cheapass DVD drive <--LOL NooB!
Three different video cards. (6600 GT, 6800 GT, 7800 GTX) <--Thanks for the controlled experiment, nVidia fanboy. Why didn't you borrow a buddy's ATi card? "Crappy Drivers?" :rolleyes:
Junglizm said:
Figured some of you would find this interesting.
I certainly did. Gives you some insight as to how their awesome optimization system works. It ran pretty spectacular on my 9700 Pro - Which I may have blown tonight. Let's just say that stray traces of RadioShack brand contact cleaner and a pricey AGP card don't mix.

I was going to upgrade soon anyway, but she's sitting in an alcohol bath so hopefully I won't have to replace her with an 8MB PCI Rage Pro for a few days.

Hey, the good news is she outputted video after two hours, but refused to use GDI acceleration and caused a VPU recover error on the Windows desktop!

Hopefully the alchohol will make her shine again, because I have a LAN in two days.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent, I'm really tired of your fanboying, so I'm going to ask you nicely to stop. Yet again!
Some cheapass DVD drive <--LOL NooB!
The guy who posted that is three times your age, works in the industry and is at least 100 times more knowledgeable than you, so go posture somewhere else.

www.hardforums.com
Three different video cards. (6600 GT, 6800 GT, 7800 GTX) <--Thanks for the controlled experiment, nVidia fanboy. Why didn't you borrow a buddy's ATi card? "Crappy Drivers?"
Probably because he didn't have any laying around the shop, who knows? Not that it would really matter though, since this was a fucking RAM test.

Just because someone doesn't use ATI doesn't mean their a fanboy. Jesus. Yet you've just shown yourself to be a fanboy with your little outburst. :rolleyes:

jamesp

In Memory...
There's really nothing I could say that would drive the point home better than that. It just makes me......just makes me wanna cry. Descent is the kinda guy that knows VB and thinks he's a DevGuru.