WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

nVidia (A rant)

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
109
157
#1
I have a serious question for these pricks:

Why do they say the ForceWare drivers are for the "Geforce and TNT2" when the TNT2 support is so lackluster that nothing works with it? Hell, not even UT99 or JDoom work!

I just downgraded to the 41.09 drivers. JDoom STILL does not work, and UT runs like a dog in Direct3D, and won't even run in OpenGL.

I will never touch an nVidia product again. They have shitty support for EOL products.
 

tzedek

Original Member
2,515
3
38
#2
did you create jdoom?
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,979
1,397
487
#3
Oh shit, a five year old gpu sucks now, who would've guessed?
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
109
157
#4
Junglizm said:
Oh shit, a five year old gpu sucks now, who would've guessed?
You just missed the ENTIRE point of my rant. The problem lies with the drivers, NOT the card. When I first got this card back in 2000 to complement my old Celeron 500, I was in heaven. I could play any game on the planet. I had no driver issues, EVER. But clearly nVidia has dropped the ball.

They should NOT advertise "Geforce and TNT2" when the TNT2 support is so subpar that no one would even want to touch it with a ten foot pole. It's nothing but false promises, something that ATI seems to have abandoned, but clearly nVidia feels like doing.

I have now lost all trust in nVidia after this debacle. Hell, at least ATI discontinued it's Rage series drivers with some decent builds. nVidia seems to be making the drivers even worse as time goes on.
 

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
1,622
5
38
#5
jstager said:
You just missed the ENTIRE point of my rant. The problem lies with the drivers, NOT the card. When I first got this card back in 2000 to complement my old Celeron 500, I was in heaven. I could play any game on the planet. I had no driver issues, EVER. But clearly nVidia has dropped the ball.

They should NOT advertise "Geforce and TNT2" when the TNT2 support is so subpar that no one would even want to touch it with a ten foot pole. It's nothing but false promises, something that ATI seems to have abandoned, but clearly nVidia feels like doing.

I have now lost all trust in nVidia after this debacle. Hell, at least ATI discontinued it's Rage series drivers with some decent builds. nVidia seems to be making the drivers even worse as time goes on.
More than likely, nVidia is concentrating on it's newer cards, rather than wasting time with older ones. Which is how it should be. Besides, I don't think they give a crap about old cards, as they are old.
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,979
1,397
487
#6
jstager said:
Words and things.!!1!PI
No, you missed my point.
Fire_ze_Missles said:
More than likely, nVidia is concentrating on it's newer cards, rather than wasting time with older ones. Which is how it should be. Besides, I don't think they give a crap about old cards, as they are old.
Exactly!
 

tzedek

Original Member
2,515
3
38
#7
so did you create jdoom or what?
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,979
1,397
487
#8
tzedek said:
so did you create jdoom or what?
I originally thought you were just being sarcastic, but I see now that you obviously weren't. No, Jstager has already stated that he has no programming knowledge. He didn't create JDoom, but google would've told you as much.

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/jdoom.php
jDoom is an enhanced win32 port of id Software's DOOM. It is being developed by Jaakko Keränen.
 

tzedek

Original Member
2,515
3
38
#9
I was kind of kidding around, but it wasnt very funny. I just asked again becuase nobody said anything about my question. :(
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
109
157
#10
Hey! I fixed the Radeon until my new card comes. I screwed a generic 40mm fan in between the folds of the spirally Sapphire heatsink. It works great now, no overheating!

EDIT: I think it is still overheating, just not as much...
 
20
0
0
#11
whats ur fuckin point

Dude u got an old fucking video card. ITS FUCKIN OLD !! 4 years in computer time is ancient. Get a new fucking card.
 

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
305
0
0
#12
He said, and I quote:

jstager said:
Hey! I fixed the Radeon until my new card comes.
He IS getting a new card you sorry excuse for a decaying piece of horse shit.

And prove you know something about computers somewhere, rather than going "OMKG OMG TU YERS OLD!!! OMG OMG NW COMPTER!!1one!11!!"
 
20
0
0
#13
Oopss dude! Sorr fucking y. Latest nvidia cards ive used seem to work just fine with all products and the support ive gotten for them was great. Dont see your problem with them. Or i may be missing something.
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
109
157
#14
The new cooling came. Now my card runs icy cool, not to mention that now my whole PC runs cooler.

EDIT: I wasn't getting a new card, I was talking about the new cooling for my current card, a 9700 Pro.