WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Nvidia Quadro FX Cards

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I'm looking for some information on an nVidia Quadro FX1400 video processor.

Mainly what I need to know is how well it would handle games. The software I work with most closely relates to video games in how it uses the video card. I've got a user with an FX 1400 GPU and he's having problems. I'm trying to rule the GPU out as the source of the issue.

As I don't have much experience with mid-range video cards I'm wondering if anyone here does. Or if anyone knows of a place that might have information on them. I know they're specifically designed for cad systems. But are they still capable of high speed 3d rendering?

Jung

???
Premium
It would help to know what the software and function of said software was.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
junglizm said:
It would help to know what the software and function of said software was.
Sorry, my bad. The software itself is Called SongShow Plus. It's a presentation package used in churches to display songs etc. One of the major functions is real time rendered motion graphics using DirectX.

Essentially it uses the hardware much the same way any modern DirectX based video game does. It's easier for people to relate to a video game than some obscure software package they've never seen.

I realize the Quadro Cards are primarily Open GL technology but I can't find anything that says they don't support DirectX as well.

Jung

???
Premium
I'd think a regular consumer grade card would work out better in that situation, and be cheaper. Why exactly are you looking into the Quatro line, which is for 3D/CAD production type stuff? There really isn't much point in going that route unless the software, and the software's support, requires it.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
junglizm said:
I'd think a regular consumer grade card would work out better in that situation, and be cheaper. Why exactly are you looking into the Quatro line, which is for 3D/CAD production type stuff? There really isn't much point in going that route unless the software, and the software's support, requires it.
God, maybe I could try and actually explain the situation a little better in my first post instead of dolling it out one bit at a time. .

I do the tech support FOR the software in question. I've got a user with a Quadro chip in his laptop. The software is locking up and I'm trying to figure out why. One of the current theories is that we don't play nice with Quadro cards. At the moment this is the hardest theory to prove as my boss isn't about to drop $800 for a card we wouldn't support anyway. He purchased his laptop to future proof against future upgrades without first asking one of us about supported hardware.

I think that's the entire situation now. The whole thing. 3d presentation software which uses DirectX. A user with a Quadro card is having problems and I'm trying to find out if the Quadro is the problem or not.

I've been reading the boards and I can find a bunch of folks discussing going from a Quadro TO a 6800GT without much trouble but nobody's talking about going the other way.