WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

NYC bus ad: read a book, receive oral sex

Jung

???
Premium
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/11/05/newyork.sex.reut/index.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- New York officials were red-faced on Friday after they discovered that clothing ads on city buses that appeared to promote reading suggested a love of books could be rewarded with oral sex.

The advertisements that ran on about 200 buses across the city in recent months carried posters displaying a suggestively posed woman in hot pants kneeling among a pile of books beside the snappy slogan "Read Books, Get Brain."

What unhip, unsuspecting local transportation officials did not know was that "get brain" is street slang for oral sex.

The ads -- from hip-hop clothing maker Akademiks, which intended the double-entendre -- was stripped off New York buses on Friday after transportation officials discovered the street slang meaning.

Metropolitan Transit Authority spokesman Tom Kelly condemned the "vulgar street phrases" in the racy ads he said were "demeaning women."

"To me and I believe to everyone else, while it was done by a clothing line, it would give the impression that it was also promoting reading and literacy," Kelly told Reuters.

"It's easy enough to understand how that would get by based upon someone not knowing the expression."

A spokesman for the New York-based clothing maker noted the ad campaign had run since September and "we hadn't had any complaints at all."

Hidden meaning
New York officials may not be the only ones caught out.

Akademiks also placed the ads on buses and bus shelters in Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, San Francisco and Philadelphia, the company spokesman said.

Kelly, who said he was his 60s, said that after he was tipped to the hidden meaning of the phrase on Thursday he ran a test among some young MTA workers.

"I went downstairs to the mailroom and showed some of the young guys a copy of the ad," he said. "I was watching their faces and they all start smirking.

"Apparently it's on all the music, in music that's how they refer to it," Kelly said. "I didn't know anything about it and I'm sure the people that approved the ad didn't."

Kelly said it was sad that "you can't take things at face value any longer," adding, "We'll have to learn from experience before we accept ads."

The ads followed another recent advertising controversy at the MTA. A poster commissioned to mark the 100th anniversary of the subway was found to contain numerous plugs placed by its designer for the Church of Scientology.
LOL, I'm looking for the pics right now.

ODDDLY

West Coast Birth Life
"Read Books, Get Brain."
Ha! C'mon, they didn't know what that meant?! My principle even know what that is. Awesome story. :lol:

fuck_you

Banned - What an Asshat!
LMAO great story please find the pics id love to see them haha

shep

Local alcoholic
you found it,lmao :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
I had no clue what "Get brain" meant until now.

LMFAO.

FUBAR

Jean Jacket Tough Guy
first thing i wanna know is why are they using some girl in underwear to promote reading?

Jung

???
Premium
FUBAR said:
first thing i wanna know is why are they using some girl in underwear to promote reading?
It's a play on words; Akademiks is a hip hop clothing line. www.akademiks.com

READ the op:
NEW YORK (Reuters) -- New York officials were red-faced on Friday after they discovered that clothing ads on city buses that appeared to promote reading suggested a love of books could be rewarded with oral sex.

morelos

lexicon incognito
Akademiks also placed the ads on buses and bus shelters in Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, San Francisco and Philadelphia, the company spokesman said.
people in sf will love it. we give it the big thumbs-up

breakology

Kiss my Converse
whats that? did'nt quite catch it ... I was to busy finializing my order from Barnes & Noble ....