WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines NYC Transit Strike

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
I might have put this in the wrong forum, if I did I apologize.

Fact of the matter is, people are getting by without mass transit. Yeah, it's taking longer to get to work, yeah, they're inconvenienced, but whatever, you do what you have to do.

I am so disgusted with the TWU. I know on the news they're showing all these Union workers on the picket line, talking about how they deserve this or that, and of course they do, but this is not how to get it. How many transit workers are off work right now and for how many days? And some are probably worried about how they're gonna get by.

They're whining about how they deserve courtesy and respect. What about our respect? You abandon millions of NYers and sit on your ass and cry about unfair wages, when you make more money than most teachers?

I remember when I was a kid and my father had to strike 'cause of his union. We struggled the whole time. How many families are struggling because of the TWU's stubborness.

Fuck this, that's all I have to say.

And you know what? Because of the way everyone's acting, I'M GONNA STRIKE!

I think all NYers should strike. Once the MTA and the workers get back on their game, we should make it a point to use AS LITTLE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION AS POSSIBLE.

Fucking walk, ride a bike, hitch a ride, whatever.

Fuck these turds.

What are your opinions, stories, whatever.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
My Dad is a mechanic for GMC, and they had a strike right befor I left for bootcamp. I was 20, but I had to help him out a little. From what I heard, the meatings went to hell for the first month. It wasn't about all the mec's, just one owner who was a prick. I was so glad when it was over.

BklynCannonball

It's hard on everybody.

It seems like every now and then the unions need to wave their dick around in everybody's faces lest people take them for granted.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i know it's cold but i see one benefit from this.. the same one as when they had transport strikes in london.. not only do people find alternative modes of transport that some will adopt possibly full-time (bike sales go through the roof :thumbsup:) but most importantly for a few days the air quality improvement is immense.
i know there's no way they will ever pedestrianise the whole of NY, but imagine if they did.. little trees growing in the middle of the streets.. moss on the manhole covers.. deer prancing down broadway.. ahhh..
:D

BklynCannonball

Mind you, the streets have been the quietest ever. Most people are using their cars or hitching. Walking and biking are a small percentage.

Honestly, if I could, I'd never take mass transit but the weather isn't that accomodating. I walked over 4 miles today just to hitch a ride and it took about an hour for my thighs to thaw out.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
BklynCannonball said:
Mind you, the streets have been the quietest ever. Most people are using their cars or hitching. Walking and biking are a small percentage.

Honestly, if I could, I'd never take mass transit but the weather isn't that accomodating. I walked over 4 miles today just to hitch a ride and it took about an hour for my thighs to thaw out.
they were honking on about it on npr yesterday and today.. i must admit i thought about you and wondered if you'd got that motorbike yet..

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
I salute the strikers and the unions involved with this. Strikes are the only weapon workers have to retaliate against management and ownership. These guys are striking for a reason. If they were taken care of properly by the city, they wouldn't be striking to begin with. The city had plenty of warning, yet the refused to provide a decent standard of living for these employees. MTA brought this upon NY.
Of course, it should be noted that I don't live in New York and thus not affected by this strike. If I were, my opinion might be very different.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Have you read their demands? Ability to have pension at age 55 instead of age 58. A guaranteed raise of 8% each year. Fuck. I would love to even get a 1% raise or have a pension plan. To me it seems like they're rather greedy.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
BRiT said:
Have you read their demands? Ability to have pension at age 55 instead of age 58. A guaranteed raise of 8% each year. Fuck. I would love to even get a 1% raise or have a pension plan. To me it seems like they're rather greedy.
which is why, i'm guessing, they have decided to strike on the week before xmas in one of (if not THE) biggest retail zones in the world.. the loss to stores is huge and pressure to end this strike is even more huge.
i find the timing very calculated.. i'm not against striking but if their demands are unreasonable they shouldn't have resorted to the bankruptcy of small businesses to win their case.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Here is some salary information from the New York Times. Now just imagine what their salary will be after a 24% raise over 3 years. Someone earning $60K today would have a salary of $75K after the three years.

Subway operators and token clerks are blue-collar workers, but their paychecks match those of middle-class workers, even ones in New York City. According to the authority, the average subway or bus operator earns nearly $63,000 per year. The average subway conductor earns about $54,000. The average station agent earns about $51,000. A subway cleaner earns about $40,000.

Compare these numbers with salary figures in New York's private sector. According to the state comptroller, the average New York City worker earns about $60,000 a year. This number includes workers on Wall Street, whose six-figure salaries distort the picture. Take out well-paid finance-industry workers, and the average worker in New York earns just $49,000. What about workers without a college education? Most factory workers, health care employees and restaurant and retail workers in the city earn under $35,000.

BklynCannonball

They make more money than teachers.

And honestly, last I saw, before they started the strike, the deal the MTA gave them was damn good.

It's all a stunt. They came into the negotiations with a strike in mind. Regardless of what deal they got, it would've happened anyway.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Transport union leaders in New York have voted to end a three-day strike that forced millions of commuters to walk, cycle, skate or share rides.
Striking bus and train drivers had agreed hours earlier to return to work as union leaders and the Transport Authority agreed to restart talks.

It could take up to 12 hours to get the public transport network running again.
The union had been faced with fines and jail terms for its leaders as the law bans transport workers from striking.
The executive board of Transport Workers Union Local 100 voted overwhelmingly to return to work on Thursday without a contract.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4552452.stm

BklynCannonball

They say it'll take 12 to 24 hours, meaning they'll either get it going by morning rush hour or afternoon.

Either way, I'm stuck in New York Shitty. I'm better off really.