WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

obsolete computers

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
11 Reasons I'm Keeping My Obsolete Computer

11.I find it hard to concentrate without 20 fans running.
10.I needed a home for my dust bunnies.
9.My plans to open a computer museum, might just get venture capital someday.
8.Three more and I can host a LAN party.
7.The command line will make a comeback, and I want to be ready.
6.Maybe the burglars will steal the old one instead of the new one.
5.When you get a new friend, do you get rid of the old ones?
4.Where else could you get a space heater that also runs Seti@home.
3.It's not obsolete, it's previously functional.
2.So I can complain about how slow the new Microsoft operating system runs on it.
1.You never know when your first three computers go down and you need a fourth back up.

http://bbspot.com/News/2005/09/top_11_obsolete_computer.html

Jung

???
Premium
I used to have tons of obsolete computers; everything from an Apple IIe and a TRS-80 (both my father's) to an SGI Indigo R4000 and SPARC1 station. Old computers are cool to play with, and, in my opinion, aren't really ever obsolete as log as you have a use for them. I used my SPARC station as an IRC and web server for development) for years. :thumbsup:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
TRS 80, that just took me back..

first computer i got was a sinclair spectrum 48K, in 1983/84..

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
junglizm said:
I used to have tons of obsolete computers; everything from an Apple IIe and a TRS-80 (both my father's) to an SGI Indigo R4000 and SPARC1 station. Old computers are cool to play with, and, in my opinion, aren't really ever obsolete as log as you have a use for them. I used my SPARC station as an IRC and web server for development) for years. :thumbsup:
when i was young i had fun pissing around with an old apple macintoshII, those were the days, hell it couldnt do much except play monopoly.

Jung

???
Premium
YUCK FOU!!! said:
hell it couldnt do much except play monopoly.
That's why you learned to program in BASIC. :thumbsup:

Darth

Clitpickle
Hey I have about 14 old computers, going to get five more soon including an iMac G3, a 486 with the 5 1/2 floppy drive and I believe a 386 and a pentium MMX tower from what my memory serves me.

All my computers are in my closet I don't feel like naming them off but I usually like fooling around with them adding parts to them, ones running OS/2 warp 3, another one Ubuntu Linux, one is running Windows 3.0 with multimedia extentions.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
reminds me of a few old computers I had that were massivly out of date... during the 486 era, I had both an 8088 and a 286....then during the pentium era I had a 486... now my computers are still well out of date.. the desktop being a 1.2 ghz duron and my laptop being a 1.8 ghz celeron...

I have a lots a computer, my dads brings old one from work... A few years ago he was bringing masses of 386 and 486 and mmx 133, 166, 200, but they're all gone now. But we still have a.. 8088 I think, the screen is like 2 or 4 colors, and I can switch them with.. a switch. Right now, I have like 1 p2 400, 1 p3 600 3 p3 1000 (one of them @ 1200 lol) one amd 900 (@ 1000), one p4 1.5, one p4 2.4 (@ 2.7, it does make a difference), one 2.0... I have a lot. And I never want to get rid of them, its usefull for lan partys :) and to try other os, I just install linux ubuntu on a p3 500 (oh I missed this one) and I'm praticing with linux :p I'm not so good, yet. Anyway... :thumbsup:

we had an apple macintosh II also...i think it was....but it played a-10 attack and that game was addictive as hell :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
:toocool:

Oh man I want my old Compaq Prolinea back :cry:.

Game systems are cool too if you're into the techie shit. All of them are interesting, propreitary crap. Every system has been opened up at least once in my room except for my SNES. Damn Gamebit Screws :-/.

That's why I like Sega hardware :). It's all severely fucked up or innovative. The 32X is a nightmare to open, as well as fiddle with. I mean, you can region mod a Genesis/MegaDrive and a Saturn with fucking switches and shit. Then you can play foreign games. And since many of the games have the same ROM, there are new Japanese options.

I mean, there's a modem option in Cyberball for fucks sake with the Japanese region code selected.