WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Off Roading

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
Where to start:idea2: Ok About a month ago, I bought a 2002 Jeep Tj. Friday me and some buddies decided to go have some fun off road. We found a trail and were just bumming around. We come to this creek crossing, and my friend tries to go first. The only thing about the creek was the fack that there was this big trunk in the middle of it.

Ok so my friend, we will call him jacka, starts driving through the creek, gets hung up on the log, and starts rocking back and forth tring to get past this log. Now Jacka does not have a stock truck, it is an S10, with 38 inch tires and a 12 inch lift. I go and stand in front to spot wile another friend stands behind to spot and we try to put jacka on the right path outa this creek. He was not stuck, just hung up. Next thing I know, I hear this loud "PING." I reconigze this sound, it is the sound of metal breaking. We start looking under his truck and find that he broke his front driveshaft.

We wind up having to wait till saturday to get it out. It took 2 hours of digging, pulling, and swearing just to get the S10 to a point where we could get a good pulling point on it. It took a Chevy Avilanch, and my Jeep to pull the S10 out. After Jacka gets his new driveshaft installed, we are going back. We must beat the creek.
We will prevail.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i love all that shit..

ever see the hammer down dvds?

nice. i prefer snow drifting on empty highways. always thought offraoding a little too expensive and dangerous

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
void said:
holy shit! tell me my eyes are seeing things. incredible.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
Piro said:
holy shit! tell me my eyes are seeing things. incredible.
Your eyes are seeing things.

Cause if your ears did it your head would explode.

leehype

Oh it is a lot of fun, but it does have its price. The 2 hours we spent pulling him out was in the rain, and so the seats in my jeep are kinda smelly right now. But I would do it again, and again. I'm going to try to barrow a digital for next time and :photo: everything.

Hmm, I've never seen hammer down.

And latinmaxima, Offroading, in my opinion, is no where near as dangerous as drifting in the snow. But that opinion is purly dependent on whoever is doing the driving.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
leehype said:
Where to start:idea2: Ok About a month ago, I bought a 2002 Jeep Tj. Friday me and some buddies decided to go have some fun off road. We found a trail and were just bumming around. We come to this creek crossing, and my friend tries to go first. The only thing about the creek was the fack that there was this big trunk in the middle of it.

Ok so my friend, we will call him jacka, starts driving through the creek, gets hung up on the log, and starts rocking back and forth tring to get past this log. Now Jacka does not have a stock truck, it is an S10, with 38 inch tires and a 12 inch lift. I go and stand in front to spot wile another friend stands behind to spot and we try to put jacka on the right path outa this creek. He was not stuck, just hung up. Next thing I know, I hear this loud "PING." I reconigze this sound, it is the sound of metal breaking. We start looking under his truck and find that he broke his front driveshaft.

We wind up having to wait till saturday to get it out. It took 2 hours of digging, pulling, and swearing just to get the S10 to a point where we could get a good pulling point on it. It took a Chevy Avilanch, and my Jeep to pull the S10 out. After Jacka gets his new driveshaft installed, we are going back. We must beat the creek.
We will prevail.

That's what happens when you put a big lift on a truck without using a high angle drive line. They just can't take the flex AND the torque.

One reason to never buy a jacked up truck: the angles put on the drive lines and the differentials wear them out very fast.

Edit: The wear on the drive lines and differentials is only a problem if they didn't opt to replace the equipment with high angle units. Most folks don't because they're way spendy.

leehype

UberSkippy said:
That's what happens when you put a big lift on a truck without using a high angle drive line. They just can't take the flex AND the torque.

One reason to never buy a jacked up truck: the angles put on the drive lines and the differentials wear them out very fast.

Edit: The wear on the drive lines and differentials is only a problem if they didn't opt to replace the equipment with high angle units. Most folks don't because they're way spendy.

Umm, you are right, but I will fill you in on the S10 a little. It used to be a show truck. The sole purpose of the lift is for the tires. The sole purpose of the tires is looks. As for the transfer case, trans, and axels, they apear to be all stock. The drive shafts were upgraded only so they would connect to the axels. The truck looks awsome, but is prone to failure.

As for my jeep. Its rather stock, but is is running 32 inch Bf goodrinches.