WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Oh, no!

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Google has gone to bed with the devil.

LINK

While AOL's parent Time Warner has yet to make a public statement, published reports claim that Google has paid $1 billion to take a 5 per cent stake in the media giant. AOL's sales team gets access to the Google Network, and Google will also give Time Warner's media properties preferential treatment:

"Google, which prides itself on the purity of its search results, agreed to give favored placement to content from AOL throughout its site, something it has never done before," reports the New York Times.
Google gets a :mfinger: for that move. Even though it is a wise business descision.

Google gave up so much on that deal. The 1 billion, rights to it's network, and a good part of it's reputation for the preferential treatment. All of that is notwithstanding the fact that they gave it to fucking AOL.

Jung

???
Premium
skullmaster said:
how would this affect(effect?) us?
It won't, at all. Some people are just caught up on the "OMG not AOL" thing for some reason. It's a very smart business move for Google, whether you like AOL or not.

mattOmynameO

I hate stuff
I agree that it is a smart business move, and I'm saying that the following might not be true:
"Google, which prides itself on the purity of its search results, agreed to give favored placement to content from AOL throughout its site, something it has never done before," reports the New York Times.
And if that isn't true, which, according to the URL i posted isn't, then there isn't much of a downside to anyone (which is obviously a good thing).

Jung

???
Premium
I think that was just an assumption made by the Times. I read the Google blog as well, and they deny any preferential treatment, aside from their ad program pricing.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
junglizm said:
It won't, at all. Some people are just caught up on the "OMG not AOL" thing for some reason. It's a very smart business move for Google, whether you like AOL or not.
I was caught up in the "OMG not AOL" thing. I just found irony in the fact that the majority of people I've heard, including me, would put Google on the good side of the internet, and AOL on the bad. I also agree that it is a wise business decision.

And if they aren't whoring their seaches out, then I agree that there isn't a real downside.