WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

ok, heres a question

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Instead of me trying to do that bios thing on my computer I just did it on this one and was going to install xp on this one with the new hard drive. When I put the cd in it runs and everything and loads hardware files and such. When it says starting windows to install it then it pops up that I have to insert the cd, but its already in there. I push enter and it still says the same thing so I took out the cd and put it back in and pushed enter again but it still says the same thing...What do I do? Am I suppose to still have the other drive hooked up along with the new on, because I unhooked that on and set the new on as master?

Please if someone out there knows what the problem is let me know. I do not want to have to go take my computer to someone to get it done for like $400.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
yes I am sure. It only comes with one disk. I used that xp disk on this computer before and it worked. But I don't know how to get it started on my new hard drive. I had it installed, used the hard drive disk and so on but cant install anything....errrr.

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
the company problaly fucked up and gave you the wrong disk

Jung

???
Premium
this is the only answer, do it now.

sorry, you just seem really hopeless with this whole problem.

p.s. are you sure the cd isn't an upgrade cd? if it is it'll ask for a previous microsoft OS disk to be inserted. read the message boxes and be more specific, if you expect help.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Skyline-Cobra said:
the company problaly fucked up and gave you the wrong disk
What are you talking about? I am not talking about the disk that came with the hard drive, I am talking about the windows xp disk. I have used that disk before on other computers just fine but I am trying to install it to a new hard drive that has nothing up there yet. I can't coppy from another drive because its not my drive to do that. The drive I had is completely messed up so I cannot use that to coppy either. I am just trying to start off new but cannot seem to know how. If I were to coppy files from another drive to the new on, will it delet files off the old one, or will it stay the same?

tzedek

Original Member
ill send you a copy of my xp cd... or even better some linux cds

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Please can anyone focus on this question?

If I were to coppy files from another drive to the new one, will it delet files off the old one, or will it stay the same to where I can use it on another computer with same files and all?

Jung

???
Premium
no copying files from one drive to another won't delete the other files. just make sure you don't overwrite anything. witht that said, if you don't know what you're doing, you're likely going to fuck it up. again you're not being specific, what files do you want to copy? the system file IE the windows installation? or are you just trying to copy of documents and mp3's and such. you can't just copy over installed programs either.

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
CuddleMuffin said:
What are you talking about? I am not talking about the disk that came with the hard drive, I am talking about the windows xp disk. I have used that disk before on other computers just fine but I am trying to install it to a new hard drive that has nothing up there yet. I can't coppy from another drive because its not my drive to do that. The drive I had is completely messed up so I cannot use that to coppy either. I am just trying to start off new but cannot seem to know how. If I were to coppy files from another drive to the new on, will it delet files off the old one, or will it stay the same?
well your fucked then

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
junglizm said:
do you ever post anything but random drivel?
depends on what you mean...but probaly yes i do post thoughfully sometimes..sometimes

Lexx_D

Who gives a Fuck?!?!
Cuddle if you PM me a detailed list (or post it here) of what you are trying to do, I should be able to help. It really doesn't seem like that big of a problem, but without knowing exactly what you are doing and trying to do (big difference) I can't help.