WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

ok I love you but I got to go.

Well I may be new here but I am going to have to dip out for a few weeks. Duty calls so we get to take our ship out (all 220 feet of it) and do absoutaly nothing for 3 weeks.... and when I say nothing I meen nothing but burning tracks in the water (at a top speed of 13 knots). So please pray for my swift demise or my swift and safe return.... or that I have the presence of mind to weight down any bodies I throw overboard.

"I'm not happy till your not happy"
-Unknown
Cryptrocket ~ The Younger

See your rep? That means you never should have posted this.

PS: Don't die anyways.

ok............................wtf?
is he a navy guy? i'm so confused. good thing i'm drinkin.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
Don't be so horrid you lot, This is after all Chit-chat. :rolleyes:

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I've done so much pointless dilly dallying out in the ocean doing absolutely nothing but waisting taxpayer dollers for 4 years.. thank god its over... now im in sales! yay buy something bitches!!! :D

nah really dont feel so bad after the first two days it starts just flying by..

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
Magic Hobo said:
See your rep? That means you never should have posted this.

PS: Don't die anyways.
whree the fuck is that internet is serious business picture. but anyway, rep is important :thumbsup:

Wow thanks for the mixed blessings/curses. I feel the love or maybe it is just heartburn. Few quick answes. Navy? Yes. 6 lovely years 3 Med/Gulf deployments one WestPAC with a Total sea time of about 2 1/2 years (that is haze gray and under way). So this little weeker is a cake walk if you consider 16-18 hour working days, living in a wooden (yes we are made of wood) boat 220 feet long with a crew of 80 people I fucking hate doing a job that everyone talks shit about but we would go nowhere if I stopped (i think the word is ungrateful). So with that said 363 more days in my own private hell and counting. Then I can return to the ranks average joe that i miss so much.

"I'm not happy Until your not happy."
-Unknown
Cryptrocket ~ The Younger

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
A wood boat? I think you may be referring to your job at Disneyland. You know, The Pirates of The Caribbean. And for the love of God, it's not a "Boat". It's a friggin' Ship or a Carrier. Any respectable seaman would see you beaten within an inch of your life and feed you to the fish, had you spoken in those words in front of them.

Argh! Mah dinghy smells like yer poop deck, matey!

Well as far as boat and ship we just barely meet the criteria for being a ship by 10 feet in length. If we were 10 feet shorter then we would truly be a "boat" instead of a ship. So 10 feet or not it is a boat with a really big ego. As far as us being wooden due to the nature of our job being made of metal would be very detrimental to our well being. we are a mine sweeper. water laid mines use many different targeting methods and one of the most popular is magnetic. thus if we were made of metal then we wouldn't have to go looking for mines they would find us. Plus if one were to blow up under us we can withstand the landing better than a metal ship can. It isn't the explosion that is the killer it is the being lifted out of the water part and then landing back on the water. That much weight from even 10 feet can be enough to do serious damage to the keel to larger metal ships. So where the fleet is we have been. then there is the other fun part of being on a small wooden ship... we bounce around like a fucking cork. screw roller coasters put me on this thing and lets go haze gray in the south PAC during typhoon season. so as long as I get to live and work here the I can call it a boat if I want. And as far as "respectable seaman" if you can find one let me know. I have been working with Seamen, Firemen, Corpsmen and Airmen for 6 years and have yet to find a "respectable" one.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Right on, right on.

That's crazy. Mine sweeper shit. I never would have thought of needing a wooden "boat", or the actual classification of a vessel being a boat or not. As far as a "respectable" seaman; my in laws are both retired Navy. So calling it a boat in their presence would be ill advised. But thanks for the clarification. :D :thumbsup:

Jung

???
Premium
cryptrocket said:
I fucking hate doing a job that everyone talks shit about but we would go nowhere if I stopped (i think the word is ungrateful).
Do you mean being a seaman or a soldier in general?

Big big difference in seaman and soldiers. for the most part sailors arnt ground pounders,with a few exceptons like SeaBee's, some Corpsmen assigned to marine divisions etc... For the most part soldiers don't sail. Yes yes the arguement could be made that the army has some boats and the Marines hop rides on our ships and there is the marine squadron that rides carriers and amphibs for full deployments but that isnt the primary thing most soldies do.

As for ex Navy usually we get touchy when other people call our boats boats and not ships. Kinda like I can fight with my brother all I want but when someone else wants to fight him... hopefully you know how that goes. At any rate we got pushed back a day or two for repairs so I will be around for a bit longer.

http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/details/MCM5.htm

Oh forgot to reply to jung. I am a cook. Everyone likes to talk shit about us but if we stop working we go no where.

cryptrocket said:
Oh forgot to reply to jung. I am a cook. Everyone likes to talk shit about us but if we stop working we go no where.
Don't feel SO bad. At least the ground pounders mistreat everyone equally :) LOL

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Dont worry about what ppl say. Do your job and be proud of what you do.

Are you like the steven seagul kind of cook? that would be cool.

No i'm not a Navy SEAL cook. I can throw knives at people and will do other tricks on demand like throw people out of line and burn food (the crews fav). Other than that I dont have long hair or a million dollar bank account for making bad action movies. Thank you for asking.

Jung

???
Premium
cryptrocket said:
Big big difference in seaman and soldiers.
Not really, since all military personal are soldiers first. It doesn't matter what your job is, if you're enlisted or commissioned, you're a soldier. I do believe the definition of 'soldier' will confirm this as well.

But anyway, that's just semantics, I was just curious what you meant when you said "I fucking hate doing a job that everyone talks shit about but we would go nowhere if I stopped (i think the word is ungrateful)."

I meant, what don't people appreciate, the fact that you're a soldier/seaman or your specific MOS/job.