WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Old school Keyboard

I have a Gateway 2000 keyboard that came with the really old computer my family got at one point in like 1995 or something. It has buttons on here that don't work, but I think would be sweet to get working.

Let's see, at the top theres (from left - right)

Cd Controls (play, stop, FF, REW) Volume (up/down) Mute Messages Phone TV Radio

I dont wish to get radio, phone and TV to work, but as for the other stuff: maybe it's possible to get that workin on my iTunes or something? Messages to link me to my inbox, Sleep to put my computer on standby.

Is there some kind of program I can download that can assign the keys something?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Jugular said:
I have a Gateway 2000 keyboard that came with the really old computer my family got at one point in like 1995 or something. It has buttons on here that don't work, but I think would be sweet to get working.

Let's see, at the top theres (from left - right)

Cd Controls (play, stop, FF, REW) Volume (up/down) Mute Messages Phone TV Radio

I dont wish to get radio, phone and TV to work, but as for the other stuff: maybe it's possible to get that workin on my iTunes or something? Messages to link me to my inbox, Sleep to put my computer on standby.

Is there some kind of program I can download that can assign the keys something?
Are you using a modern computer with Windows ME or XP?

If so I'd say just go spend $15 on a new keyboard with the "enhanced" buttons.

Jung

???
Premium
I don't know of any software that will let you map those functions to normal keys, sorry. Just spend $20 on a media keyboard.

I'm using an XP.

Tell me more about these media keyboards.

wilko125

Rep My Post
try searching for a generic media keyboard drivers, this is what i did to get my HP pavilion buttons to work.

Jung

???
Premium
You could try making sure the HID service is turned on. Your keyboard shouldn't need drivers though.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I have one of those old keyboards as well, and if you go into your control pannel, I think its power settings, and enable hibernate, you can set your computer to do different things on those buttons. I set my computer to hibernate with the sleep button, wake up with the wake up button, and turn off and on with the power button.