WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Gaming Oldest video game system you still have?

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
As many of you know, I'm really into retro gaming and got into collecting years ago...

The oldest console I have right now is probably the original Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer from 1977.

I have over 40 systems right now (not including handhelds that date back to the Tomy ones in the 1970s), but there's still a few missing consoles on the obscure end of things...

Once I get the Fairchild Channel F (original cart-based console - 1976), and the original Pong system from Atari (and maybe a few models of the Magnovox Odyssey) I'll finally beat 1977. :)

My latest pick up is a mint condition Emerson Arcadia 2001, but that was early 80s so its not my oldest...

What's your oldest game console in your possession?

Maybe include a photo if you can!

Scooter

Roll me up and smoke me when I die.
I'm pretty sure my Atari 2600 was ditched many years ago. I still have my Sega Genesis and the games to go with it. I lnow I posted pics of it somewhere but it might not've been here. That was an elite level of fun gaming for me. I have a PS2 but that's when things got complicated for me and I didn't enjoy playing video games anymore.

• 1Like
Reactions: Jason

Jung

???
Premium
I have a Dreamcast board that's in an arcade cab. I have a bunch of 8 and 16bit games, but ended up swapping all the individual consoles for one of those Super Retro consoles.

• 2Like
Reactions: Jason and ib4

ib4

Error
Staff
emu.png

Sorry this will not be what you asked for but similar. Answer regarding this pic is a the end of the text. The only systems I ever owned were Atari and NES prior to my family becoming extremely poor. I was only 3 at this time so it doesn't really count. When I came out of the poorness for a 3 year period, I owned a Gameboy Pocket and then a Gameboy Color. Was hooked on Wario and Zelda-Links Awakening(fire game).

Then back to poorness, and then our of poorness again when i was just about 15, that first xmas, the new guardians had heard me mention that I just wish I could finally afford to own a real console. They had bought me an Xbox! It had only been out for 1.5 years or something. That was the only official system I owned until I was an adult.

These are what I use for gaming old consoles. I have been tempted to buy the old systems but I feel liek they will remain unused and collect dust. I am actively playing Zelda Ocarina of Time currently on the PC N64 emu. I also am planning on getting the new retro mini NES.

Anyway ...cheers!

• 1Like

Jason

Founder
I've done emulation in the past as well before I got into collecting... Still have all the "stuff", which is good since there are now physical multi-carts available for most popular game consoles so you don't have to collect all the games... lol

The main one I use on the PC right now is MAME for arcade emulation. I don't bother much with Hyperspin as all I really want next is a full size MAME machine... Most of the machines emulated by Hyperspin I have physically (including Commodore & Atari computers, etc.)

I'm a bit of a console purist right now as I really enjoy them. A couple of years ago I began collecting the original systems again (most of my childhood stuff was lost in a house fire in 2002).. I have about 20 wired at any one time to my TV. lol

• 1Like
Reactions: ib4

Jung

???
Premium
I had a MAME cab setup at one point. That DC board is in the cab currently because MAME used to not support Naomi, and I really wanted an MvC2 cab. I have Naomi boards now but never did anything with them.

One of the sticks I made for the cab.

20161003_120150.jpg20160929_091113.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: ib4, BRiT and Jason

Jason

Founder
I had a MAME cab setup at one point. That DC board is in the cab currently because MAME used to not support Naomi, and I really wanted an MvC2 cab. I have Naomi boards now but never did anything with them.

One of the sticks I made for the cab.

View attachment 9699View attachment 9698
Nice.. MvC = awesome game...

I have had an X-Arcade stick for about a decade, and still use that with MAME until I get a cabinet going..

Hope I can fit it into the game room, really don't want it in the garage but I will if I have to!

CoprophagousCop

Old and bold and doesn't do what he's told.
Premium
When I was a small kid, we had a pong video game system from circa 1975. The games were low-res, black and white and there were four paddle controls (a single potentiometer with no buttons). There were four built-in games: Pong, Tennis, Basket Ball?, and ...? All of the games were variants of pong. I don't know what ever happened to it, but I am sure it would be worth a lot of money today.

My grandparents had a Bally Arcade system from 1977. My cousins and I spent many fun times playing Checkmate and Letter Match. I do not know what happened to it when their house was cleaned out. :(

My brother and several kids from our neighborhood destroyed two Atari 2600 consoles my parents bought. The joysticks would also frequently break and not work for the up position. I used to take them apart and fix them using popsicle sticks. A friend of mine recently bought a new Atari 2600 game console ($39.99) with HDMI output and about 200 built-in games from yesteryear. The joysticks are wireless infra-red and suck even more than the original joysticks. They have incredibly poor response, if at all. I definitely would not recommend getting this.

The only game console I have ever personally owned was a PlayStation 2, but I have an Apple ][+ sitting in my closet, so I guess that could be considered my oldest video game system. Back when I was in high school, I even wrote a few of my own video games .. in machine language!

• 1Like

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
I was going to brag about my n64 and snes but Jason seems to own this thread. So I will just poop all over it.

pewp

• 1Aww

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
When I was a small kid, we had a pong video game system from circa 1975. The games were low-res, black and white and there were four paddle controls (a single potentiometer with no buttons). There were four built-in games: Pong, Tennis, Basket Ball?, and ...? All of the games were variants of pong. I don't know what ever happened to it, but I am sure it would be worth a lot of money today.

My grandparents had a Bally Arcade system from 1977. My cousins and I spent many fun times playing Checkmate and Letter Match. I do not know what happened to it when their house was cleaned out. :(

My brother and several kids from our neighborhood destroyed two Atari 2600 consoles my parents bought. The joysticks would also frequently break and not work for the up position. I used to take them apart and fix them using popsicle sticks. A friend of mine recently bought a new Atari 2600 game console ($39.99) with HDMI output and about 200 built-in games from yesteryear. The joysticks are wireless infra-red and suck even more than the original joysticks. They have incredibly poor response, if at all. I definitely would not recommend getting this.

The only game console I have ever personally owned was a PlayStation 2, but I have an Apple ][+ sitting in my closet, so I guess that could be considered my oldest video game system. Back when I was in high school, I even wrote a few of my own video games .. in machine language!
Fun fact! Pong originated as the first video game near where I grew up at Brookhaven National Lab. It started in 1958 as a demo called Tennis for Two. It was an analogue computer and controllers connected to an oscilloscope. At the time it was not planned to be a commercial venture. Just a display to show to visitors in order to showcase modern computer technology.

Scooter

My brother and several kids from our neighborhood destroyed two Atari 2600 consoles my parents bought. The joysticks would also frequently break and not work for the up position. I used to take them apart and fix them using popsicle sticks.
I'm curious as to how you fixed them using popsicle sticks.

Yeah, one controller broke and my Dad bought a new one. Then the other controller broke. I took one of the broken controllers apart, saw that the outer plastic ring of the internal part was broken and tried to fix it by melting it back together with a soldering iron.

It worked like a charm and that part of the outer ring was stronger than ever. Somewhere along the line, my Dad found out how to order a pack of the replacement parts. That kept me going. Also, I think the replacement parts might have been more durable than the original part.

• 1Like

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
  • 1Helpful
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Jason and MaxPower

CoprophagousCop

Old and bold and doesn't do what he's told.
Premium
I'm curious as to how you fixed them using popsicle sticks.
The outer ring of the white plastic piece in the joystick always seemed to break on the "up position" side. I would use a piece of a popsicle stick to make a brace over the broken part. I cut the popsicle stick to length and put it on the bottom side of the white plastic part between the center and the "up position" edge so that is was parallel to the left-right direction. The ends of popsicle stick were rounded to match the outer ring. I do not remember how I fastened the popsicle stick to the plastic part. Maybe it just happened to fit.

It's internals are pure metal switches that will never have issues.
Is the white plastic part replaced with a metal part? I do not remember having problems with the five internal buttons.

On a side note, we once had a pair of Atari joysticks that had four suction cups on the bottom. One time I was playing a game with the suction cups stuck to an end table as I sat on the floor in front of the television. Just as I was approaching my all-time high score, the suction cups let loose with such force that the joystick flew out of my hand and under the end table. By the time I recovered it, my player had died and the game was over. :mad: I never used those stupid joysticks again!

• 2Like
Reactions: Jason and Scooter

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Is the white plastic part replaced with a metal part? I do not remember having problems with the five internal buttons.
Yes. I included 2 images of the metal parts that replace the plastic ring in the Wico controller. There are no plastic parts. It is an engineering marvel. The plastic ring is replaced with those metal switches that are positioned at the 4 main positions [Up | Down | Left | Right] and can be hit at all 8 postions [Up | Up Left | Left | Down Left | Down | Down Right | Right] by a metal ball at the end of the controller stick.

These are NOT 5 internal buttons. There is only a single button on Atari 2600 controllers; the Wico has 2 buttons but they both register as the same button press. The first button is in the normal Upper Left corner. The second button is in the Top Hat of the Stick.

I outlined how the Wico works in the image below.

Red Circles = Buttons in Upper Left and Top of Stick
Yellow Square = Registers Move Left
Green Square = Registers Move Right
Blue Square = Registers Move Up
Purple Square = Registers Move Down

Atari_2600_Wico.jpg

Scooter

LOL, I had one of those. Not the exact same model but playing football with red blips on a screen.