WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

omfgwtfcddrive

EVery time i stick a fucking cd in the cd drive to burn a cd it "acts" like its reading it and laggs my comp down and after like 15 minutes of this then it says there is no fkin disk in the drive? WTF IS THIS?! Could it be the cds? they are brand new so i fkin doubt it..maybe some settings i could change? Something! HELP! im about to take a fkin hammer to my whole computer.

Same thing happened with our old computer... except it was any CD, not just a burnable one.

We needed a new CD rom drive.

jamesp

In Memory...
Im afraid it does sound like your CD-ROM is goin bad.

A few things you can do to try and prolong its life are:
- Update all the drivers.
- Clean out your whole computer of spyware.
- You can try reinstalling Windows. (Or whatever OS you're using.)
- Take the CD-ROM out of your computer, take out the small screws keeping the case on the CD-ROM, and then carefully blow out the insides. (You might wanna spend a few bucks on some canned air for this.)

But Im afraid it won't last long.

its not like i cant afford a new cd drive..but i just wanna make sure that that is the problem..is there anyway to tell?

jamesp

In Memory...
The best way to check is to get another CD-ROM that you know works, swap them out, and see if it is the CD-ROM or your computer. Without an extra CDROM though, Im not sure that you can without a good margin of error.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
hmm.. I had my laptop stop buring cd's for a long time, I thought one of my old ships magnetic anti mine system had fucked it up since it started right after a test of it. Turned out some hunk a shit software I installed was conflicting the hardware driver..

I had the same problem with xp and media player autoloading the cd. If I was trying to burn a cd it would say there is no disc if I was in media player ready to burn and I put the disc in. I would always have to put in the disc first. let it auto load and close out once it oulled up the options. then go into media player and burn. don't know if that is waht your doing. if it is, then it isn't your cd drive. turn of autoload of your cd drive.

Jung

???
Premium
turn of autoload of your cd drive.
I don’t think that’s his problem, but I hate auto-play; I turn it off on all my optical drives.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Same thing happened to my drive...It served me well for two years of heavy use.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
Is it a CDRW? If so you can try deleting only on that drive lol the upper and lower filters in the reg, pull the drive and 2nd IDE controller in DevMan, reboot, reboot; if that doesn't work. Toss it.