WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

OS Poll

What is your favorite OS?

• Windows 95

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Windows 98

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 2000/ME/XP

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Mac OS/X

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • UNIX/Linux

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Some other piece of shit

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anon

Banned - What an Asshat!
What do you like best?

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Windows 3.1. Handles my triple P4 system like a champ. :thumbsup:

Really though, WinXP and Linux. You should have allowed for people to choose multiple options. ;)

Jung

???
Premium
For work and development, I prefer OSX, Linux or UNIX. I wouldn't run a critical server on anything other than *Nix.

For gaming, Windows XP is the obvious choice, but I do play a few games in Linux.

For general internet use, and such, I'm becoming more attached to my Mac. I own two laptops, and often browse the net from my couch while watching TV. I haven't touched my PC laptop since I bought my PowerBook.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
junglizm said:
For work and development, I prefer OSX, Linux or UNIX. I wouldn't run a critical server on anything other than *Nix.

For gaming, Windows XP is the obvious choice, but I do play a few games in Linux.

For general internet use, and such, I'm becoming more attached to my Mac. I own two laptops, and often browse the net from my couch while watching TV. I haven't touched my PC laptop since I bought my PowerBook.
ya wanna send that laptop my way then...i mean since you don't use it in all...

but seriously why is ME on the same choice as 2000 and XP? ME is the biggest piece of crap that Microsoft has ever put out, i would choose Windows 95 over that any day, its so unstable its not even funny, and what is sad is that probably 60% of all windows users run it b/c it was the newest OS out when PC's started becoming popular and everyone and their brother started to buy 1 or 2 for their homes.

The new Mac OS (Tiger) whoops up on any and all other operating systems. Name one thing the windows OS can do that the Mac OS can't do better. Third party software (games etc.) unincluded, as obviously there's more third party software available for windows than for mac.

Descent

Hella Constipated
TwisT said:
HAHA, BANNED!

I just got Tiger today and it's purdy sweet!
Pfft. I got Tiger running on my Mac IIsi, Super Nintendo, AND my satellite box!

BOO-YAH!

Slacker

Postaholic
I have XP. It is preety good but there is omethings that need to be modifird about it.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I've always been raised on Windows...so I know it in and out. I prefer it for web development and gaming of course...but I used to run game servers off a Linux box I had set up in my house. If you want stability, go with a Mac (I can't believe I said that) or a Linux/Unix machine..but if you want compatibility, go XP/2000/2003

Tiger < Longhorn.

Tiger > Longhorn ..

Search: Tiger features a built-in local search technology called "Spotlight" (technology built upon the search engines that Apple currently uses to search iTunes and e-mail). Microsoft has said it plans to offer a similar local-machine search engine for Longhorn that will be based on the company's Windows File System (WinFS) technology.

Scripting:Tiger includes a front-end scripting environment known as "Automator." Longhorn will include a new scripting shell (currently in beta test) known as "Monad."

Built-in RSS support: Tiger has an embedded RSS aggregator into the Safari browser. Longhorn will include an embedded RSS feature in the user interface.

Info-Display Panel: Tiger has an information-display capability called "Dashboard." Longhorn will have an information-display panel called "Sideshow," to which users can "pin" collections of items of interest.

Integrated Instant Messaging/Video Chat: Tiger features a souped-up version of iChat, which includes 4 way video chat and 9 way audio chat. Microsoft will embed Windows Messenger (a sister to MSN Messenger), which also will likely feature video-chat.

64-Bit Support: Tiger includes extended 64-bit capabilities. Longhorn allegedly will be optimized for 64-bit systems.

So lets see ... Micro$loth is AGAIN copying off the Macintosh OS, with what (as soon as longhorn is released 12+ months from now) I'm sure will be half-assed copies of mac technologies that won't have a quarter of the functionality Macintosh's have now.

I could go on .. but not many people really care. I don't bash things I don't know, I know macs, I know PC's .. and I know that macs are much more functional for the non-gaming user.

Jung

???
Premium
LiberatioN said:
Tiger < Longhorn.
Right now, I'd have to say that Tiger is offering more in the way of new and useful technology. Longhorn still doesn't have a definitive release date, and everything I was interested in about it has been stripped out so far. Longhorn will be a joke if it uses NTFS. Where is WinFS? A journaled file system? A meta data capable file system? I don't want to have to worry about defragmentation of my disks in Longhorn, especially when Linux and Mac OS have negated these problems for quite some time. Longhorn just looks like a graphical upgrade to XP right now, I hope they actually release it with some new technology. Avalon and Indigo do look pretty cool, but add nothing to useability and, in my opinion, aren't worth a $300+ upgrade.

Descent

Hella Constipated
teh anarchist said:
Tiger > Longhorn ..

Search: Tiger features a built-in local search technology called "Spotlight" (technology built upon the search engines that Apple currently uses to search iTunes and e-mail). Microsoft has said it plans to offer a similar local-machine search engine for Longhorn that will be based on the company's Windows File System (WinFS) technology.

Scripting:Tiger includes a front-end scripting environment known as "Automator." Longhorn will include a new scripting shell (currently in beta test) known as "Monad."

Built-in RSS support: Tiger has an embedded RSS aggregator into the Safari browser. Longhorn will include an embedded RSS feature in the user interface.

Info-Display Panel: Tiger has an information-display capability called "Dashboard." Longhorn will have an information-display panel called "Sideshow," to which users can "pin" collections of items of interest.

Integrated Instant Messaging/Video Chat: Tiger features a souped-up version of iChat, which includes 4 way video chat and 9 way audio chat. Microsoft will embed Windows Messenger (a sister to MSN Messenger), which also will likely feature video-chat.

64-Bit Support: Tiger includes extended 64-bit capabilities. Longhorn allegedly will be optimized for 64-bit systems.

So lets see ... Micro$loth is AGAIN copying off the Macintosh OS, with what (as soon as longhorn is released 12+ months from now) I'm sure will be half-assed copies of mac technologies that won't have a quarter of the functionality Macintosh's have now.

I could go on .. but not many people really care. I don't bash things I don't know, I know macs, I know PC's .. and I know that macs are much more functional for the non-gaming user.
Fucking word. I used to love Macs but went back to Windows. That was when I was 10. I never owned one, I just preferred them.

And as of now I wouldn't touch Longhorn with a 10-foot pole but I think Tiger looks VERY nice. And this is coming from a guy who hates Macs.

Jung

???
Premium
teh anarchist said:
Tiger > Longhorn ..

Microsoft failed at their meta data creation attempts for that search system. It was supposed to use WinFS's meta data capability, but they fell short on generating meta data for each file.
Windows has had batch scripting and Visual Basic scripting for a long time. Both are natively recognized and executable. Monad was more of a command line interface to rival the outdated cmd.exe, but with hooks to directly query/call .NET objects/events... it's been removed as of right now though.

Apple Script is pretty much the same as VB script, only on a smaller level. But you have to love the ability to use Bash scripting in OS X.
Don't for get that the new Mac-Intels aren't even slated to run on 64bit processors yet. In fact, all the developer kits are using 32 bit single core 3.2GHz Pentiums. Apple's hardware has been 64 bit for a long time, but it's still slower than 32 bit x86 hardware (in most cases). Longhorn will (supposedly) ship in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
I have a xp desktop, what I'm using right now. In the backroom, I'm runnin linux. For my laptop, I have win98. And for my pos machine, I'm running windows 1.0.

har-har-har

I am laughter.
i'm a mac user becasue i had a bad experience with a windows computer