WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

OSX Tiger for X86 leaked

Jung

???
Premium
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000690046419/

OS X for x86 already in the wild?

Wow, now that didn’t take very long. Apple had OS X for Intel machines (which we’re lovingly referring to as OS X86) under wraps for a half a decade, and not a week after its announcement, a “developer version” is apparently already in the wild on P2P and IRC networks. Supposedly it can be installed on just about any PC box, and Rosetta and the iLife suite are fully operational; one can assume fairly sketchy hardware support though, and the finer details like updates are probably out of the question without some serious shoehorning. Some are calling this stealth marketing, but if we know anything about Apple (and we’d like to think we do), we’ve got a sneaking suspicion that they, just like everyone else, just can’t keep a lid on their more highly coveted goods forever. Just like we have a feeling no amount of caveat emptor-ing is going to stop a lot of people from giving it a go—you know we are so not going to install this on all our boxen.
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/6012/
"There is nothing at all that prevents the version of Mac OS X that runs on the developer transition machines from running on any PC with compatible components," Jeff Harrell writes for The Shape of Days. "The Intel-based Power Macintoshes that Apple is showing at their developer conference are based on an Intel motherboard, generic Intel graphics and off-the-shelf Pentium 4 CPUs... I estimate that we’re down to a matter of hours before Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hardware is available for download on Internet software piracy sites and peer-to-peer piracy networks. (Update: A reader who for obvious reasons wishes to remain anonymous just demonstrated to me that the software is, in fact, already available on Internet software piracy sites.) If I can think through this stuff, Apple’s management can think through this stuff. This is the most awe-inspiring stealth marketing move I’ve ever seen."

"According to reports, Apple’s bundled iLife applications, major selling points for the Mac operating system, are already Intel-native and run at full speed... Given Apple’s experiences with software piracy, particularly the rampant software piracy that spread developer builds of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger all over the Internet this past spring, Apple’s management from the top down knows full well that this developer preview will be in the hands of every kid with a cable modem within days of its release. Most of them will be able to install it on their own computers and run it and the full suite of iLife ’05 applications at full speed, and run most existing Mac software in translation. As a result, Apple will give thousands, possibly millions, of people a taste of Mac OS X running full speed on their own PCs. Apple’s giving their potential future customers a free taste, that’s what they’re doing. It’s a try-before-you-buy deal," Harrell writes.
Slashdot article: http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/05/06/12/130234.shtml?tid=179&tid=1

Well that was quick...

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
/me begins hunting...

At first I thought this smelled like a hoax... but there are people who claim it's real.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
I dounbt it's an accident ... sounds like apple may have a plan to take awat some of MS's marketshare. I would dumb windoze in a second for OSX if I ahd the hardware support, and could get teh same software that I need for it ... of course there is windows emulator for OSX that would do the trick just peachy, but I would still prefer cross platform supported 'ware.

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
breakology said:
I dounbt it's an accident ... sounds like apple may have a plan to take awat some of MS's marketshare. I would dumb windoze in a second for OSX if I ahd the hardware support, and could get teh same software that I need for it ... of course there is windows emulator for OSX that would do the trick just peachy, but I would still prefer cross platform supported 'ware.
Yeah, I have to agree.
Besides, it was bound to happen sometime.

tzedek

Original Member
BRiT said:
/me begins hunting...

At first I thought this smelled like a hoax... but there are people who claim it's real.
:thumbsup:

Jung

???
Premium
BRiT said:
/me begins hunting...

You can buy the X86 version of OSX right now, with a 3.6GHz p4 PC and full dev kit for a grand. http://developer.apple.com/transitionkit.html

From another forum...
I'm going to keep this brief, so please write me with the questions you have and any tests you want run on one of the dev kits. I will have one of my own next week as well.

First, the thing is fast. Native apps readily beat a single 2.7 G5, and sometimes beat duals. Really.
(I asked about real-world apps - if any were already available in native code-Mike)
All the iLife apps other than iTunes, plus all the other apps that come with the OS are already universal binaries....

They are using a Pentium 4 660. This is a 3.6 GHz chip. It supports 64 bit extensions, but Apple does not support that *yet*. The 660 is a single core processor. However, the engineers said that this chip would not be used in a shipping product and that we need to look at Intel's roadmap for that time to see what Apple will ship.

It uses DDR-2 RAM at 533 MHz. SATA-2. It is using Intel GMA 900 integrated graphics and it supports Quartz Extreme. The Intel 900 doesn't compare favorably to any shipping card from ATi or nVidia. The Apple engineers says they dev kit will work with regular PC graphics cards, but that you need a driver. Apple does not write ANY graphics drivers. They just submit bug reports to ATi/nVidia. So, when we asked where to get drivers for better cards the engineers said "The ATI guys are here." He's right, they've been in the compatibility lab several times.

It has FireWire 400, but not 800. USB 2 as well. USB 2 booting is supported, FireWire booting is not. NetBoot works.

The machines do not have Open Firmware. They use a Phoenix BIOS. That;s right, a Mac with a BIOS.
(I asked if the Bios had any tweaks like Memory Timing which is common for many PC motherboards, although Intel OEM motherboards don't usually have any end user tweaks like that.-Mike)
They won't tell us how to get in the BIOS. I'm sure we can figure it out when out dev kits arrive.

They run Windows fine. All the chipset is standard Intel stuff, so you can download drivers and run XP on the box.

Rosetta is amazing. (see earlier post on limitations of the Rosetta emulator - it's a G3 emulator basically - will not run Altivec code, etc. and performance isn't going to be as good as native code, but most Mac apps will run on a G3.-Mike) The tests I've run, both app tests and benchmarks, peg it at between a dual 800 MHz G4 and and a dual 2 G5 depending on what you are doing.
(I mentioned to him the limitations of Rosetta (posted below)-Mike)
It's true Rosetta does not support Altivec, but most apps run on a G3, right? Rosetta tells PPC apps that it is a G3. Apps should fall back to their G3 code tree. Everyone I tested did.

The UI tests in Xbench exceed a dual 2.7 by a large margin. (other specific tests are much lower than a G5 per Xbench site results.-Mike)

I've been talking to and watching a lot of devs. There are a lot of apps from big names running in the Compatibility lab already. Some people face more pain, sure, but Jobs wasn't kidding when he said that this transition would be less painful than OS 9 to OS X or 68K to PPC.

Game devs seem optimistic. They see porting Windows/x86 to Mac/x86 as much easier. They look forward to the day they don't have to support PPC.
I was talking to a (game Developer) that said about 1/3 of the process is handling endian issues, the rest is Win32/DirectX. For the next 3-5 years, their job will be harder since they have to port to two processor architectures and most bugs *are* endian related and that they will have a hard time making the PPC versions run as well as the x86 versions.

This transition is not about current P4 vs G5. It is about the future directions of the processor families. Intel is committed to desktop/notebook and server in a big way. Freescale/IBM are chasing the embedded market and console market. Apple would have been in a lurch in 2 years.

Also, all the cell people and the AMD people need to be quiet. Apple evaluated both. AMD has the same, if not worse, supply problems as IBM. Their roadmap is fine, but the production capacity is not.

The tested Cell as well. That processor is NOT intended for PC applications. (it was designed for game systems, not as a general use CPU) The lack of out of order execution and ILP control logic creates very poor performance with existing software. Having developers rewrite for cell would have been MUCH more work than reworking for Intel. And that's what this is, you rework your codebase in ALL cases, not rewrite it.

For more information, feel free to visit our site http://xlr8yourmac.com/

Jung

???
Premium
Reports are that GNAA released a CD iso that treats you to a fullscreen goatse upon trying to boot.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Unfortunately, "You must be an ADC Select or Premier Member to purchase the Developer Transition Kit." Though it's not too bad, spend $1K to rent/lease the system til end of 2006. IT's $500 to become an ADC Select member.