WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Out-of-the-closet brother is annoyingly self-absorbed lately......

My brother just came out of the closet last year and since has dealt with all kinds of judgement and harrassment from all corners of his environment, but along with that, he's had support from certain people too, me being one of them. The parents are a different story. Anyway, I dont know if that is a source or not, but he's gotten very defensive about everything he does, you cant even be constructively critical with him or try to be helpful by suggesting differences or he gets all pissy and acts like you think you're better than him. On top of this, he also brags so often about everything he does. Everytime I talk to him he barely says things like "how are you?" before he starts saying how fabulous his life is or whatever. Recently I went on a long trip abroad which I paid for and he says to me weeks after i get back that he is going on a trip to Montreal, Canada, and asked me for "travel tips" and i said, that its not like he's going to Africa, and going to Canada isn't going to be that exoticly different from being in America, other than that many people in Montreal speak French. He gets all pissy with me and says he's mad because none of his friends or our parents nor was I impressed that he was going to Canada, and I said, well first off, what did you expect, its Canada, and secondly, you shouldn't be going on any trip or doing anything if its just to impress someone.

Anyway, I recently bought him a bracelet on my trip and a shirt and he gets it in the mail and tells me he wears a size small in everything because he's so thin (not really, he just wants his shirts tight) and that he can't wear any of it, COMPLAINING. I was like, well, you're welcome, sorry. I guess I'm just upset because he's become so self-absorbed and self-centered and I'm wondering if this is some kind of overcompensation for him feeling vulnerable because of his homosexuality and people who have judged him. Any ideas?

sugarsickness

Mericuhn in Straya
Lucy17 said:
I'm wondering if this is some kind of overcompensation for him feeling vulnerable because of his homosexuality and people who have judged him.
That's probably it

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
He just might be immature. Maybe one of the reason he decided to come out of the closet so fabulously is becuase he is someone who craves attention. That what it seems like to me, there's nothing you can really do. You can try talking to him about everything and maybe he will see you as more friend than a sister. People tend to talk nicer to thier friends than there family.

polaris_nine

Banned - What an Asshat!
Hater808 said:
Maybe one of the reasons he decided to come out of the closet so fabulously is becuase he is someone who craves attention.
That sounds like it to me. If he's all talk and no action, then obviously he just wants attention. About the shirt and bracelet thing, you should talk to him, and straighten that out, becuase that would piss me off. Tell him to shrink it in the washer. :rolleyes: