WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Over 5 bucks a gallon?!?!?!?

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
So in many cities in the South East USA gas prices are over 5 bucks a gallon? Even though there's no oil shortage? The "fear" of lack of gas is supposed to have driven up prices, blaming the hurricane of all things. I think those caught doing this shit should have all their money taken away and set loose on a street in the inner city. Fucking evil greedy humans.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
its only shot to 3.09 here but that was since yesterday...

Janglenut

Particinator
The gas prices are going up due to the reserves supposedly being unabtainable at the current time.

Gas here is 3.29.

But remember, it's not the people in the gas stations, but the people who supply the gas. The people working hate it as much as you.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i can't imagine how busy toyota sales must be with the prius..

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=68579

Citing credible evidence of price gouging, Governor Sonny Perdue Wednesday afternoon signed an executive order authorizing state sanctions against gas retailers who gouge consumers.

Perdue said he does not believe there is an energy emergency and that the state will not tolerate citizens being fooled by exorbitant gas prices.

The order allows the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs to seek civil sanctions against retailers who can't justify their prices based on the price they paid for the product.

Perdue gave no specific examples of gouging -- but said he's heard reports of gas being raised from $3 a gallon to $5 or $6 a gallon just this afternoon.

Perdue warned retailers that the state has the ability to check the prices they are paying and plans to prosecute gougers to the full extent of the law.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
What's the price/barrel compared to the price/gallon? Is it going up and down at the same rate? If not, call someone about price gouging ;)

Janglenut

Particinator
The price of both rise. It's not just a gas station gouging, it's the companies that supply them the gas.

Hermosa

Never Mind
JLXC said:
So in many cities in the South East USA gas prices are over 5 bucks a gallon? Even though there's no oil shortage? The "fear" of lack of gas is supposed to have driven up prices, blaming the hurricane of all things. I think those caught doing this shit should have all their money taken away and set loose on a street in the inner city. Fucking evil greedy humans.

Man!!!!

When are you Americans going to stop moaning about fuel prices?
I'm not trying to pick a fight here but you really ought to check the price of a gallon here!!! it's $9, nearly $2 a litre.

Opec is a Monopoly and the U.S. has Old Kent Road fuel prices!!!
You really dont know how lucky you are.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
The same thing happened here with the "gas scare" a couple years ago. Some stations gouged the prices, some didn't, and now quite a few of the ones that did are fucked. There's plenty of closed down stations. I say let em gouge their prices, when they get shut down the lot will probably get turned into restaurants and liquor stores and all that good stuff.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
Hermosa said:
Man!!!!

I'm not trying to pick a fight here but you really ought to check the price of a gallon here!!! it's $9, nearly $2 a litre.

yes well being as I've been to europe... most people dont need to drive anywhere... they are within walking distance from thier house to thier jobs, small cars are all you see, and bout everyone owns a motor scooter.. those things get like 1000 miles to the gallon... price gouging can also occure if consumption is too low..

Blaze

Pyromaniac Extraordinaire
In comparison with the prices in Europe, yeah, we Americans should be thankfull it's not $9 bucks a gallon. But I still say fuck it. The cost of living is high enough as it is. With jobs that don't give ya shit (pension-wise/retirement, etc.) and good housing out of the range of the working-class schmo, who can handle 3 bucks a gallon especially when your car may take at least 50 to 90 bucks to fill up? It might sound like complaining but heck, I'm gonna get a scooter and be cheap. :thumbsup:

swizeguy

How dare you!?
void said:
i can't imagine how busy toyota sales must be with the prius..
Yeah my girlfriend got one for her first car... that things a beast...

Its $2.99 as of this morning around here....

Boycott

Soul Doubt
I haven't actually been out today but my friend says its 1.25/litre here :(

here's a little bit of info for louisiana gasoline (new iberia)

Friday, it was 2.29
Saturday (discovery that the hurricane was coming to southern louisiana), 2.69
Sunday (hurricane wasn't turning to new orleans like the weather channel said it would) 2.79
Monday (hurricane day) no change
Tuesday (day after), 3.29
Wed 3.39
Thursday 3.79

O M F G what the hell will raising gas prices do? especially where we need it most.. it only encourages stealing.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Hermosa said:
Man!!!!

I lived in Germany for two years, and I toured Europe while there.

In my home town, there's NO public transportation of any kind. It costs 20 bucks to take a taxi 5 miles. There are no sidewalks or bike trails, only roads. I work 8 miles from my house, which is pretty close compared to my friends. Without a car to drive every single day, I have no chance to survive here. So I will complain about it.

If I lived where you lived I'd fucking take the Tube or the Bus or the Train or one of the many ways to get anywhere. Maybe my job would be down the street, instead of down the highway. It's different here, and it's not pretty.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4208566.stm

UK motorists feel Katrina price pinch

By Jon Cronin
BBC News business reporter

UK motorists have seen the cost of petrol soar in recent months

As the destruction wrought by Hurricane Katrina continues to send shockwaves through world oil markets, fears over supply problems and high fuel prices in the US are being felt on the other side of the Atlantic.

Motorists in the UK are facing a spike in already high petrol prices, experts have warned. The damage caused by Katrina to oil operations in the Gulf of Mexico and refineries in southern US states has raised concerns over petrol shortages in the US. And while many US motorists are having to cope with gasoline prices at a record $3 a gallon, their counterparts in the UK are also facing higher costs.

currency convertor: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Hermosa

Never Mind
Darklight said:
yes well being as I've been to europe... most people dont need to drive anywhere... they are within walking distance from thier house to thier jobs, small cars are all you see, and bout everyone owns a motor scooter.. those things get like 1000 miles to the gallon... price gouging can also occure if consumption is too low..
Personally i drive a car not a moped and yes i agree that us Brits dont have as far to travel to get to our jobs. But i have 1 burning question : If all you Americans have so far to drive why the fuck do you do it in 6 & 7 litre cars?
You can only do 55mph on your roads so why do you need to burn a tanker full of fuel just to get your car out of the garage in the morning? My car is 2litre and does 140mph, i know of American cars that have engines 3times the size and are guttless in comparason. Its really not nessarsary to buy a 6.5 litre car to take the kids to school before you go to work, Our lorries and trucks have smaller engines than your average family car.

P.S. Please feel free to bring your gas guzzling beast to Britain and fill up at any garage and then come and tell me you got it hard.

Peace to you all!!!!