WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Pakistani national arrested after videotaping bank skyscrapers in Charlotte, N.C.

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
Updated: 08/11/2004 09:17:11 AM

By PAUL NOWELL
Associated Press Writer

Kamran Akhtar was taken into custody in Charlotte.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - A Pakistani citizen is in federal custody after being arrested by a police officer who spotted him videotaping the 60-story Bank of America headquarters and another skyscraper in downtown Charlotte.

The officer who arrested Kamran Akhtar, 35, said he tried to walk away when officers approached him on July 20 and gave conflicting statements about what he was doing and where he was going.

Videotapes in Akhtar's possession also showed buildings in Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans and Austin, Texas, as well as transit systems in some of those cities and a dam in Texas, according to a federal criminal complaint filed last week.

Akhtar was charged in indictments unsealed Tuesday with violating immigration and naturalization laws and making a materially false statement, according to U.S. Attorney Gretchen Shappert.

At a hearing Tuesday morning, a federal magistrate ordered Akhtar held on criminal charges. He has been in the custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. A detention hearing was scheduled for Friday.

click here for more

G's-up

Postaholic
The_DEA said:
Updated: 08/11/2004 09:17:11 AM

By PAUL NOWELL
Associated Press Writer

Kamran Akhtar was taken into custody in Charlotte.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - A Pakistani citizen is in federal custody after being arrested by a police officer who spotted him videotaping the 60-story Bank of America headquarters and another skyscraper in downtown Charlotte.

The officer who arrested Kamran Akhtar, 35, said he tried to walk away when officers approached him on July 20 and gave conflicting statements about what he was doing and where he was going.

Videotapes in Akhtar's possession also showed buildings in Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans and Austin, Texas, as well as transit systems in some of those cities and a dam in Texas, according to a federal criminal complaint filed last week.

Akhtar was charged in indictments unsealed Tuesday with violating immigration and naturalization laws and making a materially false statement, according to U.S. Attorney Gretchen Shappert.

At a hearing Tuesday morning, a federal magistrate ordered Akhtar held on criminal charges. He has been in the custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. A detention hearing was scheduled for Friday.

click here for more
I saw this on the news last night.......We live right next to that dam ... its Mansfield Dam here in Austin and that is some scarey shit!! :( I wonder though how much this kind of stuff has to do with HYPE given election time is right around the corner. Maybe this is a political stunt to help G.W. defend his reasons for going to WAR and freak everyone??!!!?!!?!

R

RedOctober

Well of course, an eastern type with a videocam is allways suspicious. :rolleyes:

We have arrested already several Americans who took pictures of the Scheveningen beach.
Just in case the Yankees land there... ;)

Pachyderm

I really did.
The caption made me think "Oh they've arrested a sight seer looking at buildings" But when I read the post, he has all these other buildings on camera. I don't know what you would do with that information, if you had a computer or anyway of using one. I do think it might be a little hyped up in defense of GW.

R

RedOctober

Well...
It is an old trick...

Before 1940, many German tourists were seen in Holland who sent "ansichtkarten" of Holland back home. They also bought maps.
Why didn't we arrest them?

Of course you can produce maps with New York on the West Coast.

Just kiddin'

The whole fucking problem is, we have a democracy based on laws that protect citizens. Those Al Qaeda basterds found our weak spot.
They do their stuff, to let westerners feel what it is to live under a totalitarian regime.
A regime that monitors all citizens.

How paranoid can America get?

What can the USA do otherwise than to kick the Pakistani back to where he came from? Pakistan is today a "friendly nation", just as Iraq had that status in the 80's of last century... :confused: