WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

paper thin screens now cheap..

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Paper view technology

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Katy Duke
Thursday October 13, 2005

[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Cheap, paper-thin TV screens that can be used in newspapers and magazines have been unveiled by German electronics giant Siemens.
The firm says the low production costs could see the magazine shelves in newsagents come alive with moving images vying for the customers' attention as they move along the aisle.
The new technology caused a sensation when it was first made public this week at the Plastics Electronics trade fair in Frankfurt.
Siemens spokesman Norbert Aschenbrenner claimed the new screens, which are literally paper thin, can do everything a regular TV screen or computer monitor can do, but cost a fraction of the price. "The technology makes it possible to put moving images directly onto paper ... at a cost that would make it economical to use on everything from magazines to cigarette packets ... where the moving images would give more detailed instructions than any photo could ever do," he said.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1591602,00.html
[/FONT]

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
void said:
Paper view technology

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Katy Duke
Thursday October 13, 2005

[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Cheap, paper-thin TV screens that can be used in newspapers and magazines have been unveiled by German electronics giant Siemens.
The firm says the low production costs could see the magazine shelves in newsagents come alive with moving images vying for the customers' attention as they move along the aisle.
The new technology caused a sensation when it was first made public this week at the Plastics Electronics trade fair in Frankfurt.
Siemens spokesman Norbert Aschenbrenner claimed the new screens, which are literally paper thin, can do everything a regular TV screen or computer monitor can do, but cost a fraction of the price. "The technology makes it possible to put moving images directly onto paper ... at a cost that would make it economical to use on everything from magazines to cigarette packets ... where the moving images would give more detailed instructions than any photo could ever do," he said.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1591602,00.html
[/FONT]
I'll wait till Playboy starts using them.

Jung

???
Premium
This reminds me of the paper in Firefly/Serenity.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
This reminds me of the paper in Firefly/Serenity.
Yep.

How cool is that though?

But, what will be the ecological issues with disposable electronics like that?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i see it being used for ads in mags, which will bug the living shit out of me.. pop-ups in playboy indeed, pun intended

what i want to see it used for is kids books.. that would be a really useful direction.. kids books that they actually want to read..