WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Parents and Computers = ARGH FUCK YOU

Hellbreather

Shhh, Im hiding
Does anyone have this goddamn problem your settling down to watch TV, get head etc. then your parents ask you to help with the computer you sit down for half an hour and explain it to them then the next fucking day they ask you and say you didn't take enough time to explain.
IT DRIVES ME BLOODY CRAZY ARGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Also does any know about that Ryan Liddon accident in Southampton?
He was one of my closest mates and to the people who ran him over
FUCK YOU, YOU WILL ROT IN HELL (Sorry if I'm not supposed to do that, I'm new :rolleyes: )

switch_scribe

dolor ex fides
I have to help my parents with their computers all the time. Here's what I do.
Write out extremely simple and specific directions to what they have to do.
And save a copy in case they lose it.

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
yea they always do that shit...im like WTF

Hellbreather

Shhh, Im hiding
That is very depressing, I hope one day you will make the long treck to
Mt.Computer and be enlighten in the ways of learning my child

Blessings be upon you :p

Lol

Easty

Click click boom
does your pops even know where the power button is? yeah, its that bad. i still feel ur pain though. my dad thinks the internet is inconvenient and cell phones are a conspiracy, dont ask me why.

Bibas

That's Illogical.
Hey, my mom and dad know, where the power button is ;) , but when it comes to something else, there's trouble. I do exactly the same thing as Switch_Scribe. Write them a super-simple directions, so a kid would understand them, and leave them on the desktop.

Descent

Hella Constipated
My bro and me are the local IT guys here.

Fortunately, nothing ever fucks up.

One time, my father called up Dell, for some weird hardware glitch.

India! said:
Yuu need to aoupen up youar memoaree slot covar, and reseet the memoree.
My father came home, and lost a day at work. I had no clue what was wrong, I did not learn about the Indian guy until later.

The machine would turn on, "POST" (If you can call it that on a Dell), but the screen was garbled, and had lines running through it, and it wouldn't boot.

I thought, "Oh shit, the BIOS is fucked."

"Whoa. Wait. Intel Extreme Graphics?! Shared Video Memory!"

I unscrewed the slot cover, reseated the memory, and it sprang to life, like it was brand new!

I'm surprised the memory still worked to this day.

It's the Inspiron 300m. It's 2lbs for a reason: Shit plastic.

I'm going to try to get him to go IBM, for the second time :rolleyes:.

Wish me luck! My six year old Thinkpad 600E that was refurbed has never had a single hardware problem, and it's taken some HORRID falls.

My bro and me were fighting, and I landed on my 802.11B PC card, and fucked the top slot.

I opened it up, and the card slots were modular! Yes, they came right off the board!

IBM is truly above the rest in design.

Hellbreather

Shhh, Im hiding
Yea but if I do that I'll still be called down because they dont fucking understand half the words in the book, so I have just decided they should go to Learn direct and fuckign take a course in computers there, tehn mayeb they'll get off my back and I can go back to setting up my 2 processors

Zoso

Zappafied
how about this crap??? im on the computer one time in a week. two weeks later i go on vacation to florida and my mom calls me three days into the week, completely ripping me a new one saying i crashed the computer! there were three other people (other family members!!) on that thing. she thinks just b/c im the one who knows the most about computers in that family, i was the one who crashed it. that was like 2 years ago. last year i moved out, and pretty much accross the united states... lo and behold she calls me up three months after im out saying once again, i crashed the computer!!!!!! doesnt it make sense that the people who KNOW LESS about computers have a better chance of contracting a virus??????

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Hellbreather said:
Does anyone have this goddamn problem your settling down to watch TV, get head etc. then your parents ask you to help with the computer you sit down for half an hour and explain it to them then the next fucking day they ask you and say you didn't take enough time to explain.
IT DRIVES ME BLOODY CRAZY ARGGGGHHHHHHHHH
I hate that too. I was just sitting here ranting on WTF on my computer when all of a sudden my sister yells come here and help dad out with the computer. For some odd reason the harddrive would not boot. So I tryed everything, untill I finnally opened the computer up and unpluged the harddrive then plugged it back up. Ever since then, it has been working just fine, I hope. :rolleyes:

Boycott

Soul Doubt
omfg.
Mom - "Tomm you crashed our computer wtf?"
Me - "mom, I have my own computer, why would I use yours, or crash yours, as it is the host computer and without it I have no internet."
Mom - "Uhh... Sarah you crashed our computer!"
Sister - "Mom I haven't been on your computer ... Why are you blaming me?"

Always blaming someone else for stupid things. Actually, my mom knows quite a bit about the programming I guess of computers, and my dad knows about the hardware... And me - I'm the guy who diagnoses the problem and tells them what to do... They can seriously take hours to reconfigure a network because they're always arguing over something. Kind of like in cartoons when 2 people start arguing or talking about something and someone walks up and takes something they both wanted. Yeah ... I just kinda go on - do my thing - fix it - leave... the AV kids at my school are idiots too... I was going to join one day but then I saw that they were amazed at some crappy 200 frame flash movie... I was like "heh, try submitting that to newgrounds... I bet you won't make it!"

Oh god. I hate people.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Boycott said:
omfg.
Mom - "Tomm you crashed our computer wtf?"
Me - "mom, I have my own computer, why would I use yours, or crash yours, as it is the host computer and without it I have no internet."
Mom - "Uhh... Sarah you crashed our computer!"
Sister - "Mom I haven't been on your computer ... Why are you blaming me?"

Always blaming someone else for stupid things. Actually, my mom knows quite a bit about the programming I guess of computers, and my dad knows about the hardware... And me - I'm the guy who diagnoses the problem and tells them what to do... They can seriously take hours to reconfigure a network because they're always arguing over something. Kind of like in cartoons when 2 people start arguing or talking about something and someone walks up and takes something they both wanted. Yeah ... I just kinda go on - do my thing - fix it - leave... the AV kids at my school are idiots too... I was going to join one day but then I saw that they were amazed at some crappy 200 frame flash movie... I was like "heh, try submitting that to newgrounds... I bet you won't make it!"

Oh god. I hate people.
me too, I am the only one in this household that can build, fix, program, and fucking diagnose a fucking computer. When is someone in this house going to pick up a book and learn this shit themselves. Yes, I love fixing and building computers, but to only my own enjoyment, not someones complaining all the fucking time.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
NaughtyGirl21 said:
me too, I am the only one in this household that can build, fix, program, and fucking diagnose a fucking computer. When is someone in this house going to pick up a book and learn this shit themselves. Yes, I love fixing and building computers, but to only my own enjoyment, not someones complaining all the fucking time.

When people complain I tell them to stop complaining or i'll stop doing their computer.

You wouldn't believe how many people have screwed up and complained while I was reinstalling their OS for them ... Right after I delete their old stuff, I pick all my stuff up and leave... I can't stand people who can't be quiet for a few hours while I spend my time redoing their computer for FREE.

Jung

???
Premium
NaughtyGirl21 said:
me too, I am the only one in this household that can build, fix, program, and fucking diagnose a fucking computer.
You're a programmer now?

First let me preface my post with some background information. My father is a college professor and my mother is a criminal lawyer, so they've both had years of experience with computers. My family has always had a home PC for as long as I can remember. I remember us having an Apple IIe, a Radio Shack trs80, a Commadore 64, a few pre-pentium IBM compatibles (read: 33MHz system with 66MHz turbo button) etc. I remember when the concept of a mouse was new, and it was a huge clunky monstrosity that connected via a serial cable. I remember DOS shells, Midnight Commander and Windows 1.0. My father taught me BASICA way back in the day, and is actually fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers. Well, I took to computers pretty early, and I've been a nerd ever since. :p

Ever since my teens, I've been the family's computer bitch. I remember being blamed for my parents contracting viruses, having to fix their computer and subsequently being grounded from said computer afterwards. I'm always called upon to 'ok' the newest purchases, and fix the problem of the week.

My dad has become increasingly lazy when it comes to computer upkeep and problem resolution. For instance, not too long ago, he got a mildly annoying virus. He was smart enough to unplug it from their local network, but didn't lift one finger to actually resolve the problem. (Of course, this is after he disabled the anti-virus app I isntalled, because it slowed down his school work.) He waited until I came over, handed me the XP cd and asked me to reinstall for him, because "I know more about that sort of thing than he does." He manages a few labs for his classes, and does most of the software installs himself. I know he knows how to properly install XP, he just wouldn't bother.

It's highly annoying, and my parents never take my advice... but they always admit later that they should've listened to me. It's gotten to the point that I won't help them unless they take my advice. That might sound bad, but I'm tired of supporting their poor choices in purchasing, and/or upkeep practices. Case in point, a few years ago when the P4 3.0GHz chips were brand new, he bought a Dell server off Ebay for $500. At the time, that processor cost at least $100 more than the entire server, that's not including the hard drive, ram etc. He's had nothing but trouble with it since, and it's recently been dumped on my sister for use in her dorm. Awesome! Now I get calls from her to unfuck that thing.

Even after more than a decade of using computers, my mom is still scared she'll break it and it'll blow up or something. Yet, despite all of her reservations, she still manages to royally fuck up every computer she touches. I ended up setting up group policy on my mom's laptop; she can't do a fucking thing to it, aside from use the programs that are already installed. She has to bother my father to install new programs, and lately he's been calling me to do it through remote desktop. My dad will put a cd in the drive, then call me so I can connect and click install.exe. :rolleyes:

I've been trying to convince them to buy Macs, and it's finally starting to work. If they don't get Macs when they upgrade next time, I think I'm going to just stop answering the phone when they call.

TL;DR: My parents annoy me greatly with their computers and laziness. I wish they'd become Amish or something. Or at least buy Macs.