WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Parents Forcing Religion On Me

#1
Such bullshit. I was raised as a Catholic all of my life, but I am no longer Catholic of my volition. But, my parents can't accept that, they force me to do things like I am still a Catholic. I have told them (actually him) numerous times that I'm not a Catholic, why should I honestly have to go to church, confession, etc. He just says that "when I grow up I can make that choice for myself".

It's not as bad as just having to go to church, but right now, he wont let me go to my friends house unless I go to confession later. I told my friend I'd be there at 1 (1:10) right now, but I "have" confession at 3:30. I have no means of getting to my friends house without a ride, and I wouldnt stay long if I accepted a ride from my dad. If I choose to not go, then he takes away my internet, and my fucking power cord to my god damn computer, and gives it back at his discretion, absolute bullshit. He's fucking with my religious life, and my god damn social life, and its all cause hes being a mother fucking control freak with "my" religion.
 
7,261
1,803
218
#2
What is your religion? Have you tried explaining to him why you believe you are not catholic? Maybe he just feels as if you don't know what you are saying. Parents are like that.
 
#3
I'm agnostic, and I've told him that, cause I've really thought about it, but its not like he cares. He's rather stubborn.
 

ferengi

Yay fire!
2,089
2
102
#4
How old are you?
Anyway, I have a problem with parents *FORCING* religion on their children (just like I have a problem with the school system *FORCING* evolutionism on other people's children... but I digress...). They should expose them to it, tell them why they personally believe in it, and let them make their own decisions about what they choose to believe or not to believe. Forcing them to follow a certain religion doesn't neccessarily mean they're going to believe in it, and is just going to turn them away from that religion when they're old enough to MAKE a choice about what they believe.
 
#5
I'm fourteen, but apparantly I must be eighteen to make my choice about religion. Yum.
 

ferengi

Yay fire!
2,089
2
102
#6
The Cheat said:
I'm fourteen, but apparantly I must be eighteen to make my choice about religion. Yum.
You're old enough to make your own choices about what to believe and not to believe. I decided what to believe in when I was a lot younger than that. Sounds to me like your dad needs to back off and leave you the fuck alone.
 

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
2,347
1
0
#7
ferengi74656 said:
You're old enough to make your own choices about what to believe and not to believe. I decided what to believe in when I was a lot younger than that. Sounds to me like your dad needs to back off and leave you the fuck alone.
In any other case I would say this person is 14 and don't know shit!
 

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
2,347
1
0
#9
Unforgiven said:
tell your dad you're an atheist :)
Next thing you know the cheat will be no more, and shipped off to some brain washing school for the believers.
 
11,074
726
382
#10
TwisT said:
Next thing you know the cheat will be no more, and shipped off to some brain washing school for the believers.
Damn... forgot about that part.

I know because I've been there.
 

chucktheskiffie

Way too hyper...
682
1
0
#11
tell him you worship in your own way... and confession at 3:30 everyday is not part of that...

if he truly understands the church, he'll know that progression is the best way, and that is what you are doing...
 

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
2,197
0
0
#12
ferengi74656 said:
You're old enough to make your own choices about what to believe and not to believe. I decided what to believe in when I was a lot younger than that. Sounds to me like your dad needs to back off and leave you the fuck alone.
At the age of 14 making your own choices, I have to laugh at that one for a minute so please excuse...LMFAO...Ok.

You are just a kid; you cannot make your own choices. I have no clue what the hell ferengi74656 is trying to tell you but he is just a kid too. Whether you like it or not, until you are 18, there is nothing you can really do about you and your dad's situation. Just try to stake it out for 4 more years. Even if you think you are old enough or so called grown, your not. Once you turn 18, then you can make your own choices and figure out what you want your religion to be. Right now, you cannot fight with your parents and tell them that they have no say so in you, because then you would be wrong. They have every right to tell you what you are, who you are, where you will be, where you won’t be, and so forth until you’re an adult.
 

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
979
1
0
#13
The Cheat said:
Such bullshit. I was raised as a Catholic all of my life, but I am no longer Catholic of my volition. But, my parents can't accept that, they force me to do things like I am still a Catholic. I have told them (actually him) numerous times that I'm not a Catholic, why should I honestly have to go to church, confession, etc. He just says that "when I grow up I can make that choice for myself".

It's not as bad as just having to go to church, but right now, he wont let me go to my friends house unless I go to confession later. I told my friend I'd be there at 1 (1:10) right now, but I "have" confession at 3:30. I have no means of getting to my friends house without a ride, and I wouldnt stay long if I accepted a ride from my dad. If I choose to not go, then he takes away my internet, and my fucking power cord to my god damn computer, and gives it back at his discretion, absolute bullshit. He's fucking with my religious life, and my god damn social life, and its all cause hes being a mother fucking control freak with "my" religion.
Grow up, get a job, put yourself through school while working full time and get a degree and then a decent paying job and then when your parents still find a way to "force" religion on you, come back and talk to me... That way I can laugh at you for not standing up for yourself. C´mon, if you´re not an adult yet, just get over it. It´s not like it´s hurting you. I could maybe if they had the belief that you should be locked in a room with no lights or running water until your 18th birthday at which point you´d be sacrificed like human veal, but seriously.
 
#14
Bring you parents over, and sit them down.

Tell them that for the last month, you're a Satanist. You've been joining the local school 'Occult Club' and have since become a Trisexual. You've performed 9 abortions, and ate 6 of the fetuses. You've had great sex in your room with men, women, trans, and goats. Tell them that you usually sacrifice the goat, and spell words in sperm and blood on you walls. Then your occult friends use their satanic powers to clean your room. Though because even Satan can't get rid of sperm stains, if your parents touch the walls, they may be able to make out pentagrams and words.

When they faint, steal their car and move to Canada. It's nice here.
 

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
2,429
1
0
#15
I've got a bunch of staunch Catholics in my family, too. My advice: fight fire with fight, except get someone else to do the flaming. Look up Baptist, Methodist, Presbytirian, Pentacostal, Assembly of Good, Jehovah's Witness, Morman, Muslim, Jewish, Harri Krishna, Kabalist missionary/recruiting offices in your area. (The more zealous and fundamentalist the better). Call them, and tell them your parents are really interested in switching faiths and you'd like for them to send someone to give them good news. Set appointments up times for when you're not going to be home, but they are and let them get a taste of some good old unwanted religious solicitation! :thumbsup:
 

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
446
0
0
#16
Talk to the priest about it. Tell him that your dad forcing religion on you is really making you resent not only your dad but religion itself. Ask him for his advice. As hard core as it sounds like your dad is he should want to listen to the advice of the priest.


Of course, it could turn around on you too and get you in worse than you already are. :confused:
 
11,074
726
382
#17
Religion exists for the sole purpose of allowing people to force religion on you.

it's a cruel world we live in.
 
11
0
0
#18
Ok, here's the solution: until he accepts you for your beliefs, do not love him. Act like he doesn't mean anything, act like he's just some guy over there. If he gives you something, either just ignore it, but if you can't resist, give a meaningless thanks. Just don't participate with him like he's your dad. Continue this until he stops forcing religion.
 

Chris14

Fuck The Fucking Fuckers
22
0
0
#19
I say follow his rules for another 4 years,as long as you ive under his roof,you live by his rules,then when you hit 18,move out,and do whatever the fuck you want to do! :mfinger: