WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Passion of the Christ

i haven't posted here for a while. but i just saw this movie and i wanted to suggest to all of you to see it. i may not be the most religious person around, and i'm sure many of you aren't either. but i have to say that this movie has given me some insight. i never really understood what scourging and crucifixion really meant, and until now i never realized how much Jesus really did suffer for us. it makes it really seem trivial, the things we find irritating in our every day lives. and how insignificant these annoyances really are. and after seeing what Jesus had endured, i think it may seem a bit easier to endure some of the bullshit that i may have to endure in my every day life. for those of you who have seen the movie.....it's almost unfathomable the way Jesus was beaten and tortured, wouldn't you say? the horrible truth is that the graphic nature of a scourging/crucifixion, was pretty consistent with what was depicted in this film. and to think that after the scourging, to have your robe ripped away from the drying wounds, and have a crown of thorns beaten into your scalp..........those people were barbaric. i'll almost feel ashamed to bitch about relatively meaningless crap after watching this and having been given insight into what it was that Jesus endured.

tzedek

Original Member
from what i understand almost none of that is in the bible.... at least to that extent. i would have to say thought, i am an atheist, the film is moving

Zickddot

Banned - What an Asshat!
i am athiest as well dude

Pachyderm

I really did.
Well... You're sorta right Tzedek.. except the movie wasn't a story from ONE bible.. it was a story from 3. Not to mention that his father is anti-semitic. I'm not going to be one of THOSE people who totally protest the movie because there is too much derogatory Jewish depiction, but I will go as far to say that when you grow up with a person that hates another group so much as to be "anti," most of it may not stick to you, but you are taught things about another religion in a certain way so that SOME of it does.
I feel badly for some of the people who went to see this movie who were not really familiar with the story in the first place, because they will see and say to themselves, or people around them, "Wow. I am really glad I saw this movie, because now I know the real story."
Don't get caught up in the fever.

neckdemon said:
those people were barbaric

Actually....the Romans, in most cases, were welcomed by the conquered. As the Empire began collapsing, the British actually begged the Romans to stay. The case with the Israelites is somewhat of an isolated incident.

While crucifixion is barbaric, you have to look at the rest of the world in comparison. The ancient world was completely barbaric...people were commonly flayed alive. The Assyrians and Egyptians (a bit earlier, I know) burned out the eyes of traitors. The Carthaginians, who were conquered by the Romans in the Punic Wars, sacrificed newborn babies to their deities.

tzedek

Original Member
Pachyderm said:
I feel badly for some of the people who went to see this movie who were not really familiar with the story in the first place, because they will see and say to themselves, or people around them, "Wow. I am really glad I saw this movie, because now I know the real story."
Don't get caught up in the fever.

exactly. after watching the movie I felt as though the movie had shown the Jewish in a very bad way. I talked to some people and did some minor research and found out that the movie was more of a depiction of Gibson's interpetation. The one thing that i really remeber was that the Roman emperor guy (cant remember his name) was shown in the movie to be a very nice person and very supportive of Jesus. Turns out the guy was really a tyrant. Thats how it is with anything though, if you just watch/see something you cant automatically believe thats the truth.

otepsoul

Bringer of Bees
neckdemon said:
i haven't posted here for a while. but i just saw this movie and i wanted to suggest to all of you to see it. i may not be the most religious person around, and i'm sure many of you aren't either. but i have to say that this movie has given me some insight. i never really understood what scourging and crucifixion really meant, and until now i never realized how much Jesus really did suffer for us. it makes it really seem trivial, the things we find irritating in our every day lives. and how insignificant these annoyances really are. and after seeing what Jesus had endured, i think it may seem a bit easier to endure some of the bullshit that i may have to endure in my every day life. for those of you who have seen the movie.....it's almost unfathomable the way Jesus was beaten and tortured, wouldn't you say? the horrible truth is that the graphic nature of a scourging/crucifixion, was pretty consistent with what was depicted in this film. and to think that after the scourging, to have your robe ripped away from the drying wounds, and have a crown of thorns beaten into your scalp..........those people were barbaric. i'll almost feel ashamed to bitch about relatively meaningless crap after watching this and having been given insight into what it was that Jesus endured.
can you say cult coming up.

tzedek said:
from what i understand almost none of that is in the bible.... at least to that extent. i would have to say thought, i am an atheist, the film is moving

no it's all in the bible. well except for the dangling, which is descrobled in some catholic writings i believe. as for the rest. there are more than one quotes from the bible which says pilate had jesus scourged (do some research on what a scourging is, it's a prelude to a crucifixion which consists of a brutal whipping with whips embedded with bone shards and lead balls which often left the victim near death or even dead. and with their skin shredded and often their insides protruding). then the roman guards took him ripped off his robe. dressed him in a scarlet robe. made him a crown of thorns and "crowned" him as a mockery to his suggestion of being a "king of the jews". also gave him a reed to use as a sceptor (which they beat him on the head with after he had been crwoned). after boring of their "game" they brought him back out to the crowd to which pilate thinks will be satisfied with his punishment. who instead call for his crucifixion yet again. and he is even falsley accused of being an enemy of caesar. he is then made to carry his cross (with the help of simon) up to be crucified. all the while whipped, mocked and humiliated by the roman soldiers and the jewish mob. this is all true. some of you may be atheists. but still you can appreciate how much jesus suffered, for all of us, atheists included.

tzedek said:
exactly. after watching the movie I felt as though the movie had shown the Jewish in a very bad way. I talked to some people and did some minor research and found out that the movie was more of a depiction of Gibson's interpetation. The one thing that i really remeber was that the Roman emperor guy (cant remember his name) was shown in the movie to be a very nice person and very supportive of Jesus. Turns out the guy was really a tyrant. Thats how it is with anything though, if you just watch/see something you cant automatically believe thats the truth.

try reading the bible. all of what was in the movie was described in the bible. gibson didn't just make this stuff up. he just took the literal transaltion of the bible and depicted it in his movie. and, pilate (who was actually a roman governor) tried more than once to free jesus. the jewish high priests and the jewish mob refused to settle for anything but death. even taking barabbas, a known criminal, to be freed over jesus, who did nothing but preach love. this isn't to say all jews were bad. but the ones who spit at him and mocked him and threw stones at him, after he was beaten half to death and carrying a cross to his crucifixion, were certainly cold-hearted.

otepsoul said:
can you say cult coming up.

since when does having some appreciation for the sacrifice that Jesus suffered constitute being in a cult? you just sound ignorant.

Pachyderm

I really did.
Right.. We know he suffered a whole lot, but the truth is the story was taken from three bibles, meaning it's not just ONE story, and it's not entirely the truth. While Jesus may have been tortured up to his crucifixion, the story leading up to that may be generated through many bias areas. So everyone can appreciate the suffering and pain he went through, but no one should take the movie as the true story of the last 6 hours of Jesus.

otepsoul

Bringer of Bees
neckdemon said:
since when does having some appreciation for the sacrifice that Jesus suffered constitute being in a cult? you just sound ignorant.
do i. well everyone is ignorant. even you.

Pachyderm

I really did.
neckdemon said:
try reading the bible. all of what was in the movie was described in the bible. gibson didn't just make this stuff up. he just took the literal transaltion of the bible and depicted it in his movie. and, pilate (who was actually a roman governor) tried more than once to free jesus. the jewish high priests and the jewish mob refused to settle for anything but death. even taking barabbas, a known criminal, to be freed over jesus, who did nothing but preach love. this isn't to say all jews were bad. but the ones who spit at him and mocked him and threw stones at him, after he was beaten half to death and carrying a cross to his crucifixion, were certainly cold-hearted.
The point being made by tzedek is that it was especially harsh towards Jews. While Jews were throwing stones and spitting at him, there were also Christians, Romans, etc. along with it. The somehow escaped the idea of the movie.

Pachyderm said:
Right.. We know he suffered a whole lot, but the truth is the story was taken from three bibles, meaning it's not just ONE story, and it's not entirely the truth. While Jesus may have been tortured up to his crucifixion, the story leading up to that may be generated through many bias areas. So everyone can appreciate the suffering and pain he went through, but no one should take the movie as the true story of the last 6 hours of Jesus.
jesus was crucified. there is no disputing that. and a scourging was basically a mandatory precursor to a crucifixion. so the fact that he was scourged can not be disputed either. we all know he was made to wear a crown of thorns, and it was "not" placed loosely on his head so we know that he was basically imbedded with a crown of thorns. and given the fact that roman legionairres we known to be partucularly brutal we know that he was not to be treated kindly through all of this. so while some minor details might be disputable. that story is to be taken as the true story of the last 12 hours of Jesus' life.

tzedek

Original Member
neckdemon said:
some of you may be atheists. but still you can appreciate how much jesus suffered, for all of us, atheists included.... try reading the bible... you are wrong... its all there....
well thats what i was saying in my first post that it was moving. From what i remeber Roman law was that more than 20 lashings was considered leathal so 19 would be the most severe they would ever do... in the film Jesus was lashed a lot more than 20 times. Maybe i will do some more research. Sorry about the butchered quote, im too lazy to edit it all.

neckdemon said:
pilate (who was actually a roman governor) tried more than once to free jesus. the jewish high priests and the jewish mob refused to settle for anything but death.
do you have any proof of that?

morelos

lexicon incognito
passion of the christ was the worst movie ever made.

no, fuck that.

passion of the christ was the worst object ever made, in the history of humanity. worse than the atomic bomb. worse than george bush, worse than humans themselves. the passion of the christ was the single worst two hours i have ever lived and i hope so much that nobody else has to go through it.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
morelos said:

no, fuck that.

passion of the christ was the worst object ever made, in the history of humanity. worse than the atomic bomb. worse than george bush, worse than humans themselves. the passion of the christ was the single worst two hours i have ever lived and i hope so much that nobody else has to go through it.
I'm sensing you were less than thrilled.

tzedek said:
well thats what i was saying in my first post that it was moving. From what i remeber Roman law was that more than 20 lashings was considered leathal so 19 would be the most severe they would ever do... in the film Jesus was lashed a lot more than 20 times. Maybe i will do some more research. Sorry about the butchered quote, im too lazy to edit it all.

do you have any proof of that?

well first off it was a jewish law that said no more than 39 lashings. and it's could be debated whether or not the romans would care about such a law and could have lased him alot more than that if they wished.

and the proof is in the bible. which is why pilate washed his hands and the jews were quoted as saying that Jesus' blood would be on them and their children.

morelos said:

no, fuck that.

hey morelos care to give an explanation of why you hated the movie so much?

tzedek

Original Member
neckdemon said:
and the proof is in the bible. which is why pilate washed his hands and the jews were quoted as saying that Jesus' blood would be on them and their children.
where in the bible? i do know someone who reads the bible literally every day and has been a dedicated christian all her life (some 40 years) and thats where i am getting my information from.