WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Patriot Act EXTENDED

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
The Patriot Act was only supposed to be for 4 years. Of course, the smarter of us knew it was going to be made permanent. Well, here it is :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4706031.stm

US House renews anti-terror law

The US House of Representatives has voted by a large majority to extend the Patriot Act, Washington's main anti-terrorism legislation.
Introduced in the wake of the September 2001 attacks on the US, the act grants the government unprecedented powers to investigate terror suspects.

Some provisions are due to expire this year unless renewed by Congress. The legislation now goes before the Senate.

Opponents say many of its provisions infringe civil liberties.

In a late session on Thursday, the House reauthorized the act by 257-171.

The vote was largely split along party lines - with most Republican in favour and most Democrats against.

Concerns

The debate included frequent references to the London attacks earlier in the day.

The act gives officials greater access to educational, financial and medical records.

President George W Bush welcomed the vote and said the legislation was vital.

"The Patriot Act is a key part of our efforts to combat terrorism and protect the American people, and the Congress needs to send me a bill soon that renews the act without weakening our ability to fight terror," he said on Thursday.

However, during the debate many Democrats voiced concern that the law could infringe civil liberties.

"The bill before us fails to assure accountability," said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.

"Today, we are deciding whether the government will be accountable to the people, to the Congress and to the courts for the exercise of its power."

K, well 14 out of 16 Patriot Act dispositions have been made permanent. The 2 others have been extended for 10 years.

They're slowly but surely pulling your rights and freedoms away. FIGHT BACK or lose.

It's a sad day when America becomes the enemy of freedom.

RageAgainst said:
They're slowly but surely pulling your rights and freedoms away. FIGHT BACK or lose.
Its not even slow nowadays.

Jung

???
Premium
Posting solely because my avatar ans title fit this thread to a T.

You'll find a large number of people already consider the United States to be an authoritarian military state...

EDIT: Heres to George W. :mfinger: :bomb: :gun:

And heres to hoping it gets overturned once he leaves office. *chugs a bottle of tequila*

RE-EDIT: Hope the FBI doesn't come confiscate my computer and crap now..they have been abit sensitive lately.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
:mfinger: the current government of America, the damn non-patriotic fuckers. Shitting on everything America is all about. Freedom, so much touted by Bush around the world, sad thing is, they see him for the two faced useless powerless face he is on the Evil that runs America.

Here's some slogans I'm gonna make up in honor of the extension of the patriot act.

---------------------------

"We live for freedom, so be free or we'll bomb your cities!"

"America, the other white dictatorship"

"You are free to say some things you want, to do a few things you'd like, and to shove it up your ass if you don't like what we're doing to America!"

"Freedom is what we TELL YOU it is, got that?"

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I motion a vote of no confidence in the chanselor.. vote chanselor palpitene into power so he may envoke emergency absolute power and dissolve the republic to form the empire!!!

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Well of COURSE it 9/11 got extended. Just 9/11 look at how important 9/11 it is. I mean how are we 9/11 supposed to combat terrorism 9/11 if we can't see what books your 9/11 kids read? What if 9/11 they're reading something 9/11 that could be construed as 9/11 anti-American? Or 9/11 GOD FORBID 9/11 they read something *gasp* Liberal. 9/11

I know that George 9/11 Bush just NEEDS to have these 9/11 laws in place to protect 9/11 our country from its enemies.

Oh yeah. 9 motherfucking 11

My name is George 9/11 Bush and I approved this message.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
UberSkippy said:
Well of COURSE it 9/11 got extended. Just 9/11 look at how important 9/11 it is. I mean how are we 9/11 supposed to combat terrorism 9/11 if we can't see what books your 9/11 kids read? What if 9/11 they're reading something 9/11 that could be construed as 9/11 anti-American? Or 9/11 GOD FORBID 9/11 they read something *gasp* Liberal. 9/11

I know that George 9/11 Bush just NEEDS to have these 9/11 laws in place to protect 9/11 our country from its enemies.

Oh yeah. 9 motherfucking 11

My name is George 9/11 Bush and I approved this message.
what was that date again?

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
RageAgainst said:
Concerns

President George W Bush welcomed the vote and said the legislation was vital.
Bahaha, I think that sums it up about best.

The president and his cronies(wait..hes the pawn in this) do like to shove 9/11 down our throats, don't they? Its the justification for every war(atleast until we find out the people we attack weren't related to it) and restriction of civil liberties they start. Even during WW2 Civil liberties weren't restricted as much as they are by the patriot act.

They excel in making shit smell like roses, don't they?

September 11th is mentioned so much by them because they know lots of people received emotional trauma from it and that bringing it up makes us temporarily oblivious to the unconstitutional BS they put in place.

Runningflame570 said:
The president and his cronies(wait..hes the pawn in this) do like to shove 9/11 down our throats, don't they? Its the justification for every war(atleast until we find out the people we attack weren't related to it) and restriction of civil liberties they start. Even during WW2 Civil liberties weren't restricted as much as they are by the patriot act.

They excel in making shit smell like roses, don't they?

September 11th is mentioned so much by them because they know lots of people received emotional trauma from it and that bringing it up makes us temporarily oblivious to the unconstitutional BS they put in place.
Of course they shove 9/11 down our throats, it's all part of their plan rig the election in order to contine their neocon, jamboree. Oh shit, they already did... Many people don't believe this, they say the 2004 election was won by Bush fair and square. To those people I have this to say: the director of Diebold, the company has been quoted as saying that he was: "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year." Still think it was fair, the fact that he even had the opportunity was unfair, Gore won in 2000, Bush should have been yesterday's news.
In my opinion, this is a relatively new form of administration, half of them 100% in it for the money, half radical neocons. Look at Cheney, his company, Halliburton, (which still pays him a "pension") got a massive postwar reconstruction contract, almost without even trying. The neocons on the other hand, have a little thing known as the Project for the New American Century, or PNAC. The PNAC was, even during the Clinton years, advocating an American "operational presence" in Iraq (figure out what that means). These guys were giving away reconstruction contracts before the war even started. They didn't give a shit about weapons of mass destruction, to them, Hans Blix was a fucking nuisance, not a "valued partner in our task of ridding the world of evil." They don't care about the public, to them, the public is to be manipulated and lied to at every turn. This is because they don't represent the public, they represent a small group of special interests, and in a president, not representing the public makes you almost like, well, a dictator. So of course the Patriot act was extended, dictators have a tendency to limit civil liberties.
Hmmm...

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
the only way i see this piece of legislation being helpful in our fight against terrorism is as a research tool not to prevent terrorism. say a terrorist act occurs, these broad oversight powers can be used to thoroughly investigate the terrorists foot steps and communications prior to the devastation. like learning who they had contact with, how they planned and financed it, who they cooperated with, etc. looking for patterns or a common denominator. this is good but it is also after the fact. we also assume or it is implied, the gov't will successfully convict accessory terrorists with these new powers.

i remain skeptical, IMO the gov't will never meaningfully use any power of authority given to them to be effective in combating terrorism. remember the bioterrorism and digital terrorism of the same year (2001), whatever happened with those investigations? four years later and still no one has been caught or convicted for these crimes yet the gov't has had the patriot act since then. wtf?

plus, the secrecy of gov't investigations utilizing these powers has sheltered the general public, why not have an open door policy concerning these matters? would it not be more effective if citizens were informed rather than raising the terrorist threat level to "elevated or yellow or whateverthehellthecolor"?

i would love it if the senate included a provision in the extension of the bill stating, if we are attacked by terrrorists again, legislation will be rescinded automatically or at least they have to revisit minimizing it. put your money where your mouth is. if you sincerely believe giving one group as much responsibility as we have to win the "good" fight- prove it.

gurlgonewild said:
the only way i see this piece of legislation being helpful in our fight against terrorism is as a research tool not to prevent terrorism. say a terrorist act occurs, these broad oversight powers can be used to thoroughly investigate the terrorists foot steps and communications prior to the devastation. like learning who they had contact with, how they planned and financed it, who they cooperated with, etc. looking for patterns or a common denominator. this is good but it is also after the fact. we also assume or it is implied, the gov't will successfully convict accessory terrorists with these new powers.

i remain skeptical, IMO the gov't will never meaningfully use any power of authority given to them to be effective in combating terrorism. remember the bioterrorism and digital terrorism of the same year (2001), whatever happened with those investigations? four years later and still no one has been caught or convicted for these crimes yet the gov't has had the patriot act since then. wtf?

plus, the secrecy of gov't investigations utilizing these powers has sheltered the general public, why not have an open door policy concerning these matters? would it not be more effective if citizens were informed rather than raising the terrorist threat level to "elevated or yellow or whateverthehellthecolor"?

i would love it if the senate included a provision in the extension of the bill stating, if we are attacked by terrrorists again, legislation will be rescinded automatically or at least they have to revisit minimizing it. put your money where your mouth is. if you sincerely believe giving one group as much responsibility as we have to win the "good" fight- prove it.
Don't you see? Bush doesn't care about fighting terror, his administration has its own agenda and they are simply taking advantage of the circumstances. If he really cared, do you think he would have ignored intelligence briefings including the fact that America was about to be attacked, and that al-Quaida was planning to use airplanes as missiles and CRASH THEM INTO BUILDINGS??

Descent

Hella Constipated

I previously found the image too offensive, but this is different.

This is a dark, dark, day for America. What's scary is that when I saw the title and clicked the link, I had already had the Team America theme song cranking for ten minutes. Oh the irony.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
canadian_pov said:
It's a sad day when America becomes the enemy of freedom.

Its not even slow nowadays.

Agreed.

Thats why I am moving to the mountains and living in a cave.