WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Patriotism is bullshit

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
Patriotism is nothing but a tool used by the government to control the masses. It also turns members of one country against another. If you are a patriot, you're nothing more than the fools that followed Hitler in WW2. You're not helping anything, by saying your country is better. That's like going up to someone you don't know, and saying that you are better than him because he lives in another country. These patriots can be lead to do anything. If Bush wanted to start a Genocide, he could. The 'patriots' would be right behind him. Being a patriot is no different than being a graduate from the Hitler Youth Program. I can imagine someone like Kitana calling me un-american or anti-america, because that's what these 'patriots' do. They think that if you disagree with their country you're evil, and should be killed. They are the fools that are the reason why Genocides can occur. Patriots are idiots. :mfinger:

Jung

???
Premium
I would consider myself a partiot. :(

I think you're confusing "patriot" with "pseudo-patriotic republican douchebag."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.
- Edward Abbey (1927-1989) US author
Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations -- entangling alliances with none.
-Thomas Jefferson

R

RedOctober

Well, I can understand IHTFCC's concern.
Also the reaction of Junglism.

Patriotism is linked to nationalism. But in a more positive way, to defend the "fatherland". Whatever that is, and that's the problem.
The French revolution gave us "freedom, equality and brothership" but it very easily was turned into nationalism after a simple "coup détat" of Napoleon Bonaparte. From that moment on, the French started to free Europe from the opression of the royalty. And that triggered a romantic and nationalistic backlash, with the nazi's as a final consequence.

So in fact, it's two sides of the same razor sharp knive.

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
The problem is excessive pride in something you follow and now little about. Blind hubris!

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
FCC, i think that what you are thinking of is more closely related to nativism than patriotism. i consider myself to be very patriotic, but i wouldnt follow any leader to genocide, or anything bad for that matter.

Jack

Personable
Being proud of your country doesn't make you hate people of other nationalities.

Not EVERYTHING can be compared to Hitler and Nazi Germany.

MrNewbie

Me Vs. WTF.com
bullshit thread, glad to say that I didn't read none of your patriotic shit.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
BigSweetJack said:
Being proud of your country doesn't make you hate people of other nationalities.

Not EVERYTHING can be compared to Hitler and Nazi Germany.
No, definitely not, but RedO and rcarhar had a point. Especially what rcarhar said about "excessive pride in something you follow and know little about" That's the key.
Love your country, and be loyal. But know your government, and be skeptical of their agenda. Don't just blindly follow your administration, or trust them to do what's best for you. That's where the problems begin. That's what happened to the German people during WWII. They (some of them) were brainwashed by Hitler’s words, and charisma. They were seduced by his promises of national greatness.
A good many of them probably felt that they were right in Invading all of the countries that they invaded. Hitler had them convinced that it was all in proactive defense of their nation.

I think the issue here is that, this sounds familiar to some people. Like events that are unfolding today.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
MaxPower said:
No, definitely not, but RedO and rcarhar had a point. Especially what rcarhar said about "excessive pride in something you follow and know little about" That's the key.
Love your country, and be loyal. But know your government, and be skeptical of their agenda. Don't just blindly follow your administration, or trust them to do what's best for you. That's where the problems begin. That's what happened to the German people during WWII. They (some of them) were brainwashed by Hitler’s words, and charisma. They were seduced by his promises of national greatness.
A good many of them probably felt that they were right in Invading all of the countries that they invaded. Hitler had them convinced that it was all in proactive defense of their nation.

I think the issue here is that, this sounds familiar to some people. Like events that are unfolding today.
Well said. Repped :thumbsup:

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
Thanks Max, and well said indeed.

There is a point, however made here. It's not as radical as naziism, but there is racism against a lot of nationalities simply based on propaganda and the superiorism that falls in with nationalism.

"Say Ism again."

Ism.

Jung

???
Premium
MaxPower said:

I completely agree. Just because we're talking about our country doesn't mean that you should throw common sense and judgment out the window. Nothing is infallible, nor above scrutiny, especially something that effects us as much as our government. Now, right wing wack jobs might tell you that questioning your president is unpatriotic, I say that NOT questioning your president/government is unpatriotic. Obviously, a patriot would want what's best for his country, and in turn himself and his family. You can't claim that if you're always putting blind faith into other people.
BigSweetJack said:
Tuu-shay.
Touche'

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
MaxPower said:

Lets not forget that Hitler killed off everyone who didn't like him.

:/ I agree, you have to disagree with your country to some point and understand and watch things develop. Here in America, we the people, have a strong voice. Only by being educated and presenting that voice with strong opinions and facts can we make change happen. It is easy to confuse what took place in Nazi Germany and being patriotic.

One of the best ways to keep that from happening is to start learning about your own country’s history, both good and bad, and the history of other countries around the world. It is there that you will be able to learn of past mistakes and understand why certain things are they way they are. You might even begin to see your own ideas shift a little, such as mine have been with the Vietnam war.

R

RedOctober

MaxPower said:
I think you don't understand what happened in Germany.
Most of the people was brainwashed.

If a brainwashed people see death camps, they don't believe it's true.
The same way Americans don't believe their government has been hijacked by Scull & Bones. :rolleyes:

MrNewbie

Me Vs. WTF.com
RedOctober said:
I think you don't understand what happened in Germany.
Most of the people was brainwashed.

If a brainwashed people see death camps, they don't believe it's true.
The same way Americans don't believe their government has been hijacked by Scull & Bones. :rolleyes:
Red october, plz go to issues and rape urself with ur "old school politic" shiz, ur contrepting with nothing but pure garbage, you're a sad piece of shit 200 lbs ugly irl with no friends. :mfinger:

R

RedOctober

MrNewbie said:
Red october, plz go to issues and rape urself with ur "old school politic" shiz, ur contrepting with nothing but pure garbage, you're a sad piece of shit 200 lbs ugly irl with no friends. :mfinger:
No sense of humor, Mr. Asshole Nooby.
That's why there is not coming any witty reply out of your shitty brains.

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
MrNewbie said:
Kitana and Newbie aren't that different. They're both idiots. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.