WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

people who know a lot about windows please

tzedek

Original Member
yeah,

how do i setup a pcmcia ethernet card under win 2003 standard??? it wont let me use the same driver as win 2000... lol well this is kinda vague huh... anyone know anything about windows 2003??
:confused:

Jung

???
Premium
without really looking it would seam like a long shot. servers usually don't have a need for pcmcia cards, as they're not intended for use on laptops. i know it may seam stupid, but have you tried
? this is a prime example of why it's not a ggod idea to run a server os on a desktop or laptop. you might get lucky and find a hacked driver, you could also try using the XP driver, but like i said it's a long shot.

tzedek

Original Member
win 2k3 runs better than anythign else i have tried other than the fact that i cant get half my hardware to work. Its a 166 cpu... im sure i probably sound like a retard haha thats fine... the pcmcia controller is installed tho...
I did try google and didnt really find anything. as far as i know the xp driver would be the same as the 2000 driver... thanks guys, i hope i dont sound like im attacking either of you i appreciate the help.

tzedek

Original Member
is there some kind of background service that would handle pcmcia or soemthing... i wonder if there is a disabled service that would help me out here...

Edit: well this is kind of encouraging i found a microsoft site of "unsupported networks cards" under 2003 and mine isnt there.... LINK (who cares)

tzedek

Original Member
update, i seemingly got it to install but now i get "code 10: device cannot start"

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
another reason we need a tech forum

*hint* *hint*

Descent

Hella Constipated
Jungie said:
this is a prime example of why it's not a ggod idea to run a server os on a desktop or laptop.
Are you fucking kidding me?! It runs perfectly fine on my two desktops, as well as my Toshiba K6-2 laptop.

The only thing about Server is that it has crippled audio support.

However, it's stablility and power are top notch, right up there with Linux.

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
Are you fucking kidding me?! It runs perfectly fine on my two desktops, as well as my Toshiba K6-2 laptop.
The only thing about Server is that it has crippled audio support.
However, it's stablility and power are top notch, right up there with Linux.
Do you not understand why server OSs lack pcmcia support? Next thing people will want to do this with their five year old dial up modem, then wonder why they have driver issues.

tzedek

Original Member
just an update for anyone who cares:

i did get pcmcia setup by messing around in the bios. wasnt too hard. this is a great os IMO, very fast and stable, at least so far. I am having a problem with sound like jstager said, but i think i can get that worked out. i think this OS can be used on a desktop, with many benefits. it runs everythinkg great on my 166mhz machine, something no other os has been able to do. using this link you can set it up to be very useful as a desktop. i am trying to look around for an older machine for cheap that i can setup with 2k3 for my dad. anyone got anything?

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

Descent

Hella Constipated
Looks like we now have another Server convert :cool: .

Junglizm, you gonna try out this thing on your desktop, or are you just going to bad mouth it?

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Maybe it's just me, but why would you want to run a sever OS on a laptop? what's the point of all those extra services if you are not serving anything? Seems like a waste of resources.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I run it on my machines for the extra stability :p .

Jungie, stop saying that it lacks PCMCIA support. It works on both my Toshiba and my old IBM that I gave away.

Also, it has WAY less services running than XP. System restore, Indexing, all that stuff is DISABLED, allowing for much quicker response times.

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
Looks like we now have another Server convert :cool: .

Junglizm, you gonna try out this thing on your desktop, or are you just going to bad mouth it?
Do you even read my posts? Or do you just choose to ignore them?
junglizm said:
Yes, I've run 2k3 at home; I took it upon my self to install it when we were doing our testing phase last year. I ran it at home for a number of months and at work in our test domain, gearing up for our migration and roll out. I didn't just download it off kazaa and start playing with it, I'm also certified on 2k3. From my home experience, it wasn't something I wanted to replace XP with. I'd say 75% of my time, on my home computer time is spent on my linux box. The rest of the time I spend playing games that don't have a linux port. 2k3 is bloated for a workstation OS no matter how you look at it, I'm sorry but you're not going to convince me otherwise. I've used 2k3 a lot more extensively and for a lot more things than just playing games and posting on the net. I'm not trying to "flame" 2k3 or you, I'm just a bit more experienced and I know how to make XP stable, as I've done it many times before. It's not that I dislike 2k3, it's just not an OS suited for home use, in that same reguard I wouldn't run advanced server linux at home either, because I don't need the extra features.
jstager said:
I run it on my machines for the extra stability :p .

Jungie, stop saying that it lacks PCMCIA support. It works on both my Toshiba and my old IBM that I gave away.
As I've stated many times before; If you need to run 2k3 to acheive stability, you should just buy a mac, because you're no kind of computer savvy person.
Well obviously 2k3 DOES lack pcmcia support. Big surprise that a server OS would be short on PCMCIA drivers huh?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Originally Posted by junglizm
Yes, I've run 2k3 at home; I took it upon my self to install it when we were doing our testing phase last year. I ran it at home for a number of months and at work in our test domain, gearing up for our migration and roll out. I didn't just download it off kazaa and start playing with it, I'm also certified on 2k3. From my home experience, it wasn't something I wanted to replace XP with. I'd say 75% of my time, on my home computer time is spent on my linux box. The rest of the time I spend playing games that don't have a linux port. 2k3 is bloated for a workstation OS no matter how you look at it, I'm sorry but you're not going to convince me otherwise. I've used 2k3 a lot more extensively and for a lot more things than just playing games and posting on the net. I'm not trying to "flame" 2k3 or you, I'm just a bit more experienced and I know how to make XP stable, as I've done it many times before. It's not that I dislike 2k3, it's just not an OS suited for home use, in that same reguard I wouldn't run advanced server linux at home either, because I don't need the extra features.
I thought you were talking about that in a server environment.

And to say that I should just buy a Mac? No thanks, this is just as stable and does everything I need it to do. I've used Macs, and I'm not too fond of them. The dock just pisses me off, I need a taskbar.

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
I thought you were talking about that in a server environment.
Well I guess you'd be correct. I ran 2k3 as a server at home; I ran a mini, 2 client domain for testing purposes. Windows Server 2003 is a server, that's it's intended purpose, hence Server 2003. It's not called Server/Workstation 2003, converting it workstation is a hack. My pint is; why bother with downloading, installing and tweaking a server OS to achieve the same stability you can achieve in XP Pro? Is it physically easier or does it just fair better than taking the time to learn how to use XP? My XP box has only the services I need running, it didn't take me long to tweak it either, I simply imported a .reg I previously created. You're entitled to your opinion, as am I, but quit trying to rationalize it as if you know some huge secret nobody else does. There are reasons the IT guys on here think it's a bad idea, we’ve explained theses. You choose to ignore them and maintain your positions, I give it to you for holding your ground, but that doesn't make it a good decision. I'm starting to really get tired of this conversation, so lets just let it die please.;)

Descent

Hella Constipated
I was about to say the same thing.

LET'S LET IT DIE!!11!!!111!!one!