WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Perl VS. Python

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Both are said to be simple, powerful, and easy to learn. Which do you prefer?

Now, I'm just in the beginner/learning phase of programming in general, and I chose Python, as I heard it was a good place to start. Now, I haven't expermiented much with Perl, so I don't really have much of a stance in the comparison of both.

Jung

???
Premium
Programming is all about using the right tool for the job. If you want a general programming language with good GUI libraries and such, Python will better suit your needs. If you want to do web development or general scripting, then go for Perl.

Personally, I think you'll learn more about OO from Python than Perl, as it was designed from the ground up with that in mind.

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Yeah, I just started. Right now, I'm working on default arguement values. I know, real simple stuff, but I gotta learn it somewhere. I want to learn C next, as it seems to be a pretty useful language to know if you're running any UNIX-based system.