WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Plane crashes in midway

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
1,415
0
0
#1
After Chicago had around 7-9 inches of snow, a boeing 747 tried to land at Chicago's Midway airport. The plane crashed into the streets killing a 6 year old boy and injuring others. Two people in the plane were injured.

Link




Its sad to see a 6 year old kid die like that.He might just be sitting in the car hapy that its snowing and christmas is comming and suddenly his life is taken drom him.
R.I.P llittle kid.
 

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
6,696
4,055
287
#2
oh my... :( that's all I can say right now...
 

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
5,438
95
142
#3
disturbing but the last thing the kid prolly said was "Look daddy! a plane!"
 

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
2,902
97
112
#4
We have been talking in the shop about this all day, it is just a sad thing:(
 

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
2,902
97
112
#7
teh anarchist said:
Wow, that's pretty fucked up.. what the fuck was that pilot on?
Nothing has come up about pilot error yet, they are saying it was the wether, but the lasyasses in the tower should have been more alert.

I also belive that if the aircraft was travling fast enough to slide off the runnway that far, it should have taken back off.
 

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
1,415
0
0
#8
yeah. The plane did land faster than normal. The next day, a plane skidded of he runway in chicago's ohare airport. Nobody was injured. The plane was too near the edge and the wheels slipped on the grass. The plane was cancelled.
 
#9
leehype said:
Nothing has come up about pilot error yet, they are saying it was the wether, but the lasyasses in the tower should have been more alert.

I also belive that if the aircraft was travling fast enough to slide off the runnway that far, it should have taken back off.

O.K first off do you have any idea how stressfull the job is of an airtraffic controller?! You would not last 5 minutes in the tower before going completely insane.

Second off if a plane is sliding it is not generating any lift nor is it getting any friction to the tires, and therefor can not generate enough force to accelerate for take off.

It sucks that this kid just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time(fate is a bitch sometimes). And yes he could have grown up to be the next einstein, but he also could have grown up to be the next charles manson. We dont know. So before you go pointing your finger at the airtraffic controllers and pilot error because you are upset that one kid got killed why not check out all the facts of the situation such as thankfully no one on the plane died and no other bystanders were taken out.

Rest in peace little kid you are safe from the horrors of this world.

Nuke out-
 

Slacker

Postaholic
3,735
317
127
#10
skullmaster said:
yeah. The plane did land faster than normal. The next day, a plane skidded of he runway in chicago's ohare airport. Nobody was injured. The plane was too near the edge and the wheels slipped on the grass. The plane was cancelled.
Well it was traveling fast for the runway, but what I heard on the news is that the runway wasn't made for those kind of planes. Yes he could of landed on the runway on good conditions, but it wasn't made a for a plane that size to land in that kind of weather. They just misjudged it.... :(
 

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
146
0
0
#11
Linksy said:
Well it was traveling fast for the runway, but what I heard on the news is that the runway wasn't made for those kind of planes. Yes he could of landed on the runway on good conditions, but it wasn't made a for a plane that size to land in that kind of weather. They just misjudged it.... :(
It wasn't that the plane was too large for the runway, they've been landing those size planes there for years. Last I heard on Chicago news was the NTSB is looking into whether the reverse thrusters were working properly on the plane at the time of the landing. Midway was told to install some sort of buffer at the end of that runway over a year ago, but they had failed to do that. Can you say big lawsuit? An unneccessary tradedgy definitely.
 

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
1,415
0
0
#12
no, midway can get out of it because of the age of the airport. and the plane that skidded was trying to TAKE OFF from ohare, not land. This is not the same plane i am talking about.
 

Slacker

Postaholic
3,735
317
127
#13
tw33k said:
It wasn't that the plane was too large for the runway, they've been landing those size planes there for years. Last I heard on Chicago news was the NTSB is looking into whether the reverse thrusters were working properly on the plane at the time of the landing. Midway was told to install some sort of buffer at the end of that runway over a year ago, but they had failed to do that. Can you say big lawsuit? An unneccessary tradedgy definitely.
LINK said:
Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said the plane had circled Midway for 30 to 35 minutes because of the weather and the flight traffic before it was cleared for landing on the airport's 6,500-foot runway. The airport, surrounded by homes and businesses, has shorter runways than most major airports, because it was originally built to handle smaller propeller planes. The larger ones land at O'Hare.
It was a 737 plane, the airport was built for small propeller planes. Also they cleared the snow but there was no update on how much snow accumulated between the times...
 

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
1,415
0
0
#14
what doesnt make sense is that if it was a 737, it should have landed in ohare. the conditions in ohare were about the same and it would have had a longer runway.
 
4,839
688
327
#15
Nuclearwinter said:
O.K first off do you have any idea how stressfull the job is of an airtraffic controller?! You would not last 5 minutes in the tower before going completely insane.

Second off if a plane is sliding it is not generating any lift nor is it getting any friction to the tires, and therefor can not generate enough force to accelerate for take off.

It sucks that this kid just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time(fate is a bitch sometimes). And yes he could have grown up to be the next einstein, but he also could have grown up to be the next charles manson. We dont know. So before you go pointing your finger at the airtraffic controllers and pilot error because you are upset that one kid got killed why not check out all the facts of the situation such as thankfully no one on the plane died and no other bystanders were taken out.

Rest in peace little kid you are safe from the horrors of this world.

Nuke out-
:reddevil: Easy does it. Easy does it.
 

Slacker

Postaholic
3,735
317
127
#16
skullmaster said:
what doesnt make sense is that if it was a 737, it should have landed in ohare. the conditions in ohare were about the same and it would have had a longer runway.
I thought O'hare was closed...
 

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
1,415
0
0
#17
if it was closed, then why circle for 45 minutes, in that time they could reach another airport big enough to land a 737.