WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

PlayStation 3 - The Unveiling

No jokes.

First off, notice the 'PlayStation 3' in spiderman font. Strange, but if you look up the specs on here you'll find that this machine is fucking ridiculous in power.

The controller is an obviously strange thing. It looks like some kind of fucked up mule

To say the least my friend. I'm already hearing shit about internet access, online friend lists, mp3 playlists, saving movies, the news. PlayStation 3 will pwn. My only concern right now is pricing. They say the graphics unit is more powerful than two nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra Video Cards, an over $1000 value. This shit is scary. I can only hope that the production cost is low.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Backwards compatible! Fucking SWEET! YES!

It makes buying it more easy to sell to the wife!

This machine is going to kick much ass! Oh yeah, and my pocketbook!

Only pray that this 'Cell' bullshit is easy to produce. Or they'll go all RIAA on us and price the shit stupid.

Jung

???
Premium
Magic Hobo said:
They say the graphics unit is more powerful than two nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra Video Cards, an over $1000 value. This shit is scary. I can only hope that the production cost is low.
I seriously doubt that, but I'm still interested to see.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Holy shit, that thing looks amazing, I retract my Sega trolling. Sony is now officially the master at the affordable home supercomputer.

Proof that PlayStation 3 pwns Xbox 360.

It's a good day to be a Sony man. I hope Microsoft enjoyed it's fifteen minutes of fame. Now nobody gives a fuck about Revolution, or Game Boy Micro.\

The best part: GRAND THEFT AUTO IS A LAUNCH TITLE. The pwnage is simply knowing this is awesome. Some day in Spring 2006, we'll all bring home our PlayStation 3's, and start playing Grand Theft Auto.

I :heart: Sony.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
ummm, the PS3 doesnt look that much better than the 360 in terms of specs and in some areas the 360 in fact beats the PS3 additionally the 360 is sechduled to come out in november, while the PS3 is scheduled to come out in one year plus however many times they postpone it, and you know they will.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I kind of have to agree with the Wizard there.

For the most part they're both right on par with each other's stats. Both companies are known for overhyping the capabilities of their platforms as well but when you look at the specs, there nearly equal in most regards.

One thing that does interest me is the controllers. Both are going wireless which is good but I'm afraid the bluetooth will hurt the Sony. The limited range could be a problem. Granted, next to nobody sits all that far away from their TV when they play so this could be a moot point.

All in all, I'm taking a wait and see attitude. I'm going to wait until the PS3 launches and see how they truly perform, how much they truly cost and how many games they truly have.

It is nice to know the PS3 will be backwards compatible... a feature MS has been suspiciously quiet about.

Still, think about it. It's about as good as X-Box, along such features as backwards compatibility, and PSP linkage. But then you throw in all the crazy games (Killzone 2, Grand Theft Auto 6, Final Fantasy XIII, Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5) and put them against X-Box (Uh.... Halo?). And PS3 pwns it.

I'm certainly getting a PlayStation 3

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
junglizm said:
I seriously doubt that, but I'm still interested to see.
I am with junglizm. Why would they do that.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Magic Hobo said:
Proof that PlayStation 3 pwns Xbox 360.

It's a good day to be a Sony man. I hope Microsoft enjoyed it's fifteen minutes of fame. Now nobody gives a fuck about Revolution, or Game Boy Micro.\

The best part: GRAND THEFT AUTO IS A LAUNCH TITLE. The pwnage is simply knowing this is awesome. Some day in Spring 2006, we'll all bring home our PlayStation 3's, and start playing Grand Theft Auto.

I :heart: Sony.
Don't ever believe Sony's pre-launch specs, because they are usually bullshit. The PS1 claimed to process 1,000 MIPS, while a Pentium-75MHz could only do 50. Guess what? The P-75 was much faster.

They pulled the same shit with the PS2, saying that it could pull 75 million polygons per second. Well, it can! In Atari Jaguar mode! In other words, every polygon would be flat shaded, so it would be one color. No texture. With full details on, it could pump 12 million. And don't forget that it's full screen anti-aliasing quality is worse than any console to date, including the Dreamcast, tied with the GameCube for FSAA quality (Hence why many Dreamcast, Gamecube, and XBox games look smoother visually than their PS2 versions due to this).

By comparison, the Gamecube can pull 10-12 million full detail, the Xbox is about 100+ million no details (Don't know the specs with all details on), and the Dreamcast can pull a solid 7 million w/ all details if you don't have the CPU offload some of the polycounts, and you can bump it up to 10-12 I think with the CPU assistance.

The PS2 wasn't even that fast of a machine...It's developer kits are still crap, so coding on it's a bitch.

I personally never believe Sony's specs until the system launches and deveopers share their experiences fucking with it. Nintendo, Sega, and Microsoft have never really lied yet so far, hence why I will always believe their specs before it launches.