Gaming Playstation 5 - A Closer Look...

BeautifulSniper

Lovely and deadly
You ain't kidding about the storage issues,
Many prospective PlayStation 5 owners have been preoccupied with price, both for the console and the new console's launch games. $70 for a console game is a significant price increase, after all. But there's perhaps one other finite resource that needs to be considered looking at the PS5's launch. That being the PS5's storage size and the size of its games. That's all the more true now that the PS5's biggest two launch titles, Demon's Souls and Marvel's Spider-Man: Mile Morales, have had their file sizes revealed.

Needless to say, both PS5 games' file sizes are big. That's with comparison to the average PS4 game's file size and with regards to how much storage space the PS5 has. Demon's Souls, for instance, has a file size of 66 GB. Spider-Man: Miles Morales is somewhat less, at 50 GB. However, those planning to buy the Ultimate Launch Edition of Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, which includes both the base game and the new Miles Morales game, will be using up 105 total GB. That's an absolutely massive amount of space.

For comparison's sake, the average PS4 game is around 40 GB, with most games between 30 and 50 GB. That's not to say there aren't massive PS4 games, though. Modern Warfare alone can be more than 175 GB. A better comparison might be Uncharted 4, which is 63 GB. But the important takeaway is that launch titles for PS5 are already as big or bigger than PS4 games. And there's a good chance they'll only get bigger over the coming years.
They should have put bigger hard drives in both the new PS5s and the new Xboxes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Templar

Accept no substitutes!
You ain't kidding about the storage issues,
Many prospective PlayStation 5 owners have been preoccupied with price, both for the console and the new console's launch games. $70 for a console game is a significant price increase, after all. But there's perhaps one other finite resource that needs to be considered looking at the PS5's launch. That being the PS5's storage size and the size of its games. That's all the more true now that the PS5's biggest two launch titles, Demon's Souls and Marvel's Spider-Man: Mile Morales, have had their file sizes revealed.

Needless to say, both PS5 games' file sizes are big. That's with comparison to the average PS4 game's file size and with regards to how much storage space the PS5 has. Demon's Souls, for instance, has a file size of 66 GB. Spider-Man: Miles Morales is somewhat less, at 50 GB. However, those planning to buy the Ultimate Launch Edition of Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, which includes both the base game and the new Miles Morales game, will be using up 105 total GB. That's an absolutely massive amount of space.

For comparison's sake, the average PS4 game is around 40 GB, with most games between 30 and 50 GB. That's not to say there aren't massive PS4 games, though. Modern Warfare alone can be more than 175 GB. A better comparison might be Uncharted 4, which is 63 GB. But the important takeaway is that launch titles for PS5 are already as big or bigger than PS4 games. And there's a good chance they'll only get bigger over the coming years.
I'm thinking this is a prelude to piss off gamers with the "I have to delete a game and download another one because my HDD is too small," tactics. They want to get rid of hard copy games and go to licensing through digital downloads. Why not just take it a step further and make the systems high-end terminals that create a VM-like environment? They could just "log onto" any server they wish to and play from the cloud, vice actually have a copy that you paid for.

It cuts down on production costs and stops pirating and sharing/reselling of games, thereby making us all pay for things we don't actually own once again.

I hate greedy corporations all ready.

BlastemSkyHigh

The Original Fuck You Bomb
Premium
Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like

Templar

Accept no substitutes!
To at least be on par with other money conglomerates within the industry.
I don't mind a corporation making money, but I want to get something for my money and not be nickeled and dimed to death. That's the new profit plan.

• 1Agree

BeautifulSniper

Lovely and deadly
I don't mind a corporation making money, but I want to get something for my money and not be nickeled and dimed to death. That's the new profit plan.
I don't mind paying good money if I'm getting good quality. Sony is just slipping the ball a little, and that's disappointing.

• 2Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: 2 users

BlastemSkyHigh

Premium
With only ten games not "yet" playable on the PS5 , that's not to bad of a ratio out of the thousands to choose from.

BlastemSkyHigh

Premium
Hopefully they can eventually fix these games to get working on PS5. Tons of people like these games.
Like I said, out of the thousands of games that can still be played, ten games are nothing...
I remember when the PS4 came out I was looking really forward to just the Burnout racing games, if it came with the backwards compatibility,
turns out it didnt have it and wouldnt even play the DVD's from ps3, but hey..the PS3 can play PS1 discs..but thats what I was a hoping for.

MaxPower

Baba Yaga
Staff
Funny story. I'm remodeling my home office. As part of the process I went through some storage containers full of cables and old chargers, hard drives, etc. ( Footnote: if anyone needs a cable to connect a Nokia 3310 to a fax machine, let me know quick. Also I have a hard drive with the video of the Lucy Lawless Super Bowl XXXVIII half time nip slip, and the full Pam Anderson Tommy Lee sex video. Yes he honked the boat horn with his hep-c injector.
But I digress. In the process of rummaging through the time capsule, I found a Play Station complete with controller. But lacking the 7.5 volt power supply. Any guesses what I just ordered on eBay?

• 1Like