WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Plumbing issues

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
I have no mustache, maybe that's why my Mario side doesn't help.

Anyway, a question for you DIY nuts:
I replaced the water tank since it was kinda fucked, I replaced the discharge pipe -it's not inside the wall- since it was kinda fucked too (the same ol' hard water issue), I cleaned the toilet from all stone sediments, it works wonder.
Just one issue, water runs down like a goddamn waterfall and overflows from the toilet. Actually I had to prop the pipe to the wall near the bend because the water pressure pushed the toilet garnish out.
Infos: pipe is 1" 1/4, it bends 67° to enter the toilet, just like the old pipe, water tank at ~6' 2" high.
Maybe I have to re-place it a little lower?

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
tell people it's a water feature or call your brother Luigi, who gives a fuck.

BudVugger

Jergens
Premium

If it doesn't look like this, make it look like this.

If water is still flowing into the toilet check the seal around the blue thing.
if that's good and no water is going through , check the white pipe. ( it should be lower than the height of the tank usually by 3 -4 inches depending on how large the tank is. )
If the water is coming up over the top of the white pipe and draining into the lower bowl, you have established the problem! the big bulb needs to be adjusted to raise and click the inflow of water from the water line off (gray stem) keep playing with the ball until the water from the gray stem turns off about an inch before it reaches the top of the white pipe.(should be a screw setting) last ditch effort is to CAREFULLY bend that bar that connects the bub to the gray stem downwards to make it turn off sooner that adjusting it will allow.

If you have some crazy Euro plumbing shit instead. good luck.

Be a man use your hand, diarrhea.

Cha.

Cha,

Cha.

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
@BudVugger everything is fine, no leaks or anything related.
When I flush, the toilet turns into wild rapids and water spills outside the toilet rim. I can't tell if there's too much water in the tank, if the tank it's set too high, or both.
I have bulb floater no more, new crazy eurofuckery is set at minimum, so I guess it doesn't depend on the weight of flushed water, but I don't want to drill the wall until I find the right spot.

Last edited:

BudVugger

Jergens
Premium
Water conservation trick of putting a brick inside the tank will help determine if it is water volume. (brick taking up space so there is less water in the tank)

Edit* or just waiting till the tank stops filling. manually hold the shut off and have the wifey manually cup some of the tank out then flush. That'll tell you if it's water volume related too.

Edit 2* I don't really know about this, but any chance that you have a high volume tank/flush like they have on some toilets connected to an old school base? No clue if this would even matter?

That is crazy high for a toilet tank. Are most toilet water tanks that high in Europe? That would always create a lot of water pressure. If the brick doesn't work I would lower it. I have never seen that before.

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
That is crazy high for a toilet tank. Are most toilet water tanks that high in Europe? That would always create a lot of water pressure. If the brick doesn't work I would lower it. I have never seen that before.
Not anymore, today toilets come with built in tank, chest height.
I live in an old house. I had to cut the old (3/4", lead) pipe that was in the wall because it was totally clogged by stones. I guess the tank was that high because in the past they used smaller pipes than today. The original ceramic tank was smaller too. I then put a plastic 1"1/4 pipe propped to the wall because the old tank wasn't able to flush the shit away. One day my father in law decided to clean the tank with caustic soda (how smart) and destroyed it, so I got a cheap plastic tank, that was bigger than the old one, but it hadn't the pressure it has now. This is what I don't get, I replaced the tank and the pipe with identical parts I used a few years ago but today flushing has more pressure. Maybe a different internal diameter? I can't tell, I already threw that pipe away.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Are you sure the discharge pipe downstream of your toilet body is open?

Your toilet should flush itself if you dump about a gallon of water into the bowl, without using the tank. That should tell you if the bowl itself is working properly. If it isn't, you'll have to pull the bowl and find the block.

Something downstream is what I'd look for.

If you cannot solve the problem, just take off the seat, and then tell everyone to stay seated so their butts seal bowl, and keep the water from splashing out. Then you have a bidet!

CoprophagousCop

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium
Is the pressure too high? The water pressure is directly proportional to the height of the tank. If the stream of water from the pipe bounces off the bowl and onto the floor, then the pressure is probably too high. In this case, lower the tank.

Is the flow rate too high? The flow rate is directly proportional to the internal cross-sectional area of the discharge pipe. If the bowl is filling up quicker than it can drain and the water is overflowing the rim, then the flow rate is probably too high. In this case, use a discharge pipe with a smaller internal diameter.

The tank height and pipe size may have worked in the past because the pipe was partially blocked with sediment. The uneven sediment could have both lowered the pressure and the flow rate.

Or as BriONwoshMunky mentioned, you could just flush the toilet with a bucket of water. :D Actually this is good to know if for some reason your water supply is turned off and you have another source of water: rain, melted snow, lake, ...

By the way, I do not know what a "toilet garnish" is. Garnish means decoration.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Also, if the water is entering the bowl mostly around the bowl, and not through the jet at the bottom, directly in front of the gooseneck your bowl itself could be clogged internally.

I mentioned dumping water into the bowl because that will remove the tank from the equation whole you're figuring out what is actually going on.

If you have previously moved the bowl it may be improperly seated on the flange. Over here in the states, the bowl usually sits on a wax ring that can sometimes squish wrong if you aren't careful and cause improper flushing, even though you 'fixed' a problem.

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
The flow is going normal now, after a couple days of generous flushings and a gallon of chemicals threw into the toilet.
@BrIONwoshMunky I did the bucket thing before and it was ok, I even checked the proper installation of the bowl because I didn't want turds roaming on the floor :) but I didn't check the inside.
Perhaps after years of slow flushings there was some small clog in the bowl's syphon, blown away by the new tank and chemicals.

Thank you all for your support and advices.

By the way, I do not know what a "toilet garnish" is. Garnish means decoration.
I fucked up. How do you call that piece of rubber you put between pipes? Not the o-ring, his cousin. Gasket? I think I wrote gasket but then I wrote garnish. It's the same word in Italian. Damn false friends.

It must be an Italian thang ... They must use olive oil instead of water and toss in a sausage or meatball or two.
Yes, both.

Swah

Meet us @ IRC! Join the channel #wtfcom
Staff
Glad you got it resolved.

At first I read the title as "Plumbing" Issues, which I thought was a bold move for an Italian, especially in this part of the forum... ;)

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
Glad you got it resolved.

At first I read the title as "Plumbing" Issues, which I thought was a bold move for an Italian, especially in this part of the forum... ;)
Indeed.
lol

Moleskine

Banned - What an Asshat!
Man, I never knew toilets were this mechanically specific.