WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Possession

Demonic Possession: Is it Bullshit?

• Complete Bullshit!

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Probably Not

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Definitely Not Bullshit

Votes: 12 19.7%

• Total voters
I'm at work, bouncing back and forth between posting here at WTF and watching TV. Well, I just saw commercial for the movie The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

The movie is based on a true story. Now, I don't doubt people believed this girl was possessed. However, I think the entire concept of demonic possession, exorcism, etc. is complete bullshit! I've read a few so-called "accounts" of possession, and the majority of these cases occurred during times when people didn't know even half of what we now know about mental illness. Hell, back then they threw people into asylums for just about anything (speech impediments, learning disabilities). I think the supposedly "possessed" people were probably crazy. (And/or their accusors were)

And as far as exorcism goes: How many of these people actually made it through one alive? Since we don't really have any proof exorcism works, we don't exactly have proof of demonic possession to begin with, do we?

So: Demonic possession, is it a myth?

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
Well, I really am not sure on if this is true or not, all I know is I like about it when I was 7 when I first watched the beginning of the excorist (yeah didn't watcht the rest) and ever since then I always wandered if it was true, sometimes I think it is, and sometimes not, I would really have to have proof and witness it.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
I dont think it is a myth at all.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
Although, think this over, while I'm fighting sleep mode and what not, I do believe in spirits, good ones and bad ones, and I do believe that they could go into a form of something or someone, and I also believe in ghosts. :rollseyes: you may call me crazy. Even though, some of it is the same thing, as in spirits.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I used to think it was possible, and I would say that it's still possible, in the extreme low end of possible. I think it's simply more BS to prop up religion, and it's undiagnosed mental illness. Psychology is still a new field in the spectrum of things.

I especially have a hard time with Catholic lore on Demonic possession when little things like priests raping children and then being moved from place to place to cover it up weren't viewed as Evil enough to get rid of. I don't trust their idea of what Evil is at all.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
You people really believe in demons? Wow...

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I dunno about possession...but if you are what you eat... I could be you by morning... :burga:

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Darklight, seriously, stop hitting on me.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
Nailbomb said:
You people really believe in demons? Wow...

No, spirits.

And darklight really wants you. He told me

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
Nailbomb said:
Darklight, seriously, stop hitting on me.
I think your confusing me with blaze daily...

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
Darklight said:
thank you human spell checker...
wow, i went back and you really did mispell you're. i just threw it in as a reference to the grammar nazi. i guess god saw that and wanted to make sure i was right, all my praying must be paying off :)

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
there's only one way to find out the truth... post an internet poll! :thumbsup:

hahaha yes you grinned at that one didn't you?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
dookie said:
there's only one way to find out the truth... post an internet poll! :thumbsup:

hahaha yes you grinned at that one didn't you?
i did laugh, and then i made said poll :)

:director:

We're supposed to be discussing demonic possession, people!

/me threatens everyone with the paddle

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
very funny on the edit whoever did that...

Ok, here's a little story, FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE! Not really, but it is mildly relevant.
First, a little back story:
At the local animal shelter in my old town, there was a litter of kittens who had been found at the side of the road, in a sewn-up pair of pants. Now, these cats had obviously had a completely evil/insane owner, because if they han't been found, they would have died. They were named suitably, with names such as Second Chance, Nine Lives, etc... Now, these cats got adopted pretty quickly, because they were kittens, and people like kittens. Happy ending right?
Wrong.
Turns out the guy who adopted Second chance was a titch inexperienced with cats. Who here has a cat? Did you raise it from birth? Did you laugh as it got used to mirrors? This guy didn't, when he saw the cat staring sideways at it's own reflection hissing and hopping back and forth, he came to the only rational conclusion:
Second Chance was possessed by the devil!
So, without asking anyone whether this was normal behavior for cats, or listening to the staff at the shelter, he insisted that they take it back, and that it was horrifyingly evil.
So, even though they were coping with having barely enough cage space for the animals they already had, the shelter was eager to take the kitty back, as his owner obviously a whackjob.

As for the question, I don't believe in demonic possession, but I do think I know where the notion came from.

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
canadian_pov said:
Ok, here's a little story, FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE! Not really, but it is mildly relevant.
First, a little back story:
At the local animal shelter in my old town, there was a litter of kittens who had been found at the side of the road, in a sewn-up pair of pants. Now, these cats had obviously had a completely evil/insane owner, because if they han't been found, they would have died. They were named suitably, with names such as Second Chance, Nine Lives, etc... Now, these cats got adopted pretty quickly, because they were kittens, and people like kittens. Happy ending right?
Wrong.
Turns out the guy who adopted Second chance was a titch inexperienced with cats. Who here has a cat? Did you raise it from birth? Did you laugh as it got used to mirrors? This guy didn't, when he saw the cat staring sideways at it's own reflection hissing and hopping back and forth, he came to the only rational conclusion:
Second Chance was possessed by the devil!
So, without asking anyone whether this was normal behavior for cats, or listening to the staff at the shelter, he insisted that they take it back, and that it was horrifyingly evil.
So, even though they were coping with having barely enough cage space for the animals they already had, the shelter was eager to take the kitty back, as his owner obviously a whackjob.

As for the question, I don't believe in demonic possession, but I do think I know where the notion came from.
The cat was abandoned from one lunatic to only be adopted by another psycho. :thumbsdn:

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
how else can you explain bush winning twice?