WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Post common misconceptions/myths/idiocy that people believe, but are actually false

Jung

???
Premium
The magical number of times to overwrite data on a hard disk to render it unrecoverable is seven.

No, you idiot!

The actual number is one. I'm not sure if that is "surprising" per se, but a lot of people seem to bring out that number seven for some reason. (Probably because of the DoD's intentional paranoia.)

Let me attach a quick caveat to that, though. For you to call data "recovered," you have to able to recover a usable amount of data (more than just 1 byte), with no foreknowledge of the previous data.

Mid level formats (zeroing) are only required to run once to render 99.9% of data irrecoverable.

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
fan cools room

one of the great summer myths is that a fan will cool a room. a fan cannot cool a room... it can only cool the people who are sitting in the room by evapourating their perspiration

a fan cools you by removing a layer of warm air that would normally sit next to your skin. this is fine in the middle of summer, but could kill you in the middle of winter.
the technical term for this is 'wind chill'. antartic and himalayan travellers have found they can survive perfectly well, bare-chested, in temperatures as low as -40ºC as long as there is absolutely no wind blowing. but if there is the slightest breath of wind, they have to cover up immediately.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Rep Power actually has a value on this site.

Sorry, but your Rep won't get you any wtf.com shirts. :thumbsdn:

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
A new Dell system for 399$ is great for college kids and will play halo online and run microsoft office.

No joke, I have customers that think this.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
Marijuana kills brain cells.

Bullshit and I've been saying it for years. Erowid

Acutally there's a whole page full of "debunked" marijuana myths right Here Enjoy kids...

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
If someone sends you an urgent email, that has anything whatsoever to do with Microsoft, AOL, a virus, or a kid with cancer; instructing you to forward it to everyone you know, YOU MUST COMPLY!!!

This is false. For that matter, I would think it's safe to assume there has never been an email that warrant's such an action.

Hicts

Your mighty ruler. OBEY!
people dont eat hair
lies, hair was a substitute of soy sauce in Asia, i think in Japan

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Dustinzgirl is actually a girl.

Well, not yet. Operation's in March I think.

some Americans think a touque is a wild animal that runs around canadian forests :rolleyes:

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Nymphchick said:
some Americans think a touque is a wild animal that runs around canadian forests :rolleyes:
Me (American): wtf is a touque? lol.

MYTH: SHIT!!!! FUcking shit, i totally had a wicked awesome one, but i forgot when i started thinking about what the fuck a touque was. god dammit. maybe it will come back to me and i will edit this post.

Jung

???
Premium
Nymphchick said:
I've never heard that one.
tbsrk said:
Me (American): wtf is a touque? lol.
A beanie hat.

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Originating from the french word "toque", us goddamn french canadians changed it to "tuque". Then you goddamn other canadians changed it to "touque", since you english people like to steal words like "crepe" and "cravate" and add your silly little english meanings to them. Sure, us Quebecers ruined the french language, but we're fucking proud of it. Stop stealing the words we ruined.

Assholes.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
lmao. you fucking sound french.

you english people like to steal words like "crepe" and "cravate" and add your silly little english meanings to them.
I can easily see a cocky snitty frenchman say that. Oui oui.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
The "daddylong leg" has the most toxic vemon out of all spiders, it's fangs are just too short to bite a through human flesh.

Both not true.